Risen - X360 Review @ MTV

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I'm pretty sure MTV didn't like Risen on the X360:
For all its scale and curious nature, Faranga's pull is not stronger than the game's technical and design issues. In this sense, immersion is a fleeting thing. Copious amounts of pop-in and texture issues are roadblocks. The game's tedious pace, unreliable auto-saving system, sputtering frame rates, senseless AI, muddy visuals, and spotty navigation are few of many more.
More information.

Risen has performance issues, but even the xbox pal version was pretty much smooth as silk. Another example of poor score due to lack of payoff.

I find it amusing that AI in Risen, that dodges, backs ups and waits for an opening is sooo much worse than AI in Fallout 3 (a GOTY), that runs straight at you, or zig zags like a puppy having an aneurysm.

Conclusion: Xbox sucks; Buy Risen for the PC and find out it's great.

"Great" may be pushing it, but certainly pretty good.

"Most enemies auto-detect melee attacks, parrying or evading 90% of the time, making the already dull all the more tedious."
Senseless AI??

A lot of his complaints seem to be based in personal preference. He is overlooking the nature of the game and judging it by how he would like an RPG to be designed. I think that's a rather self-centered way to review games.

I like reviews that take a more "objective" view. Here are some excerpts from what I think is a reasonably good, fair review of the 360 version:

While some gamers will relish in seeing their hard work and investment pay off in a tangible way, there will be plenty of others frustrated at just how much effort has to go into feeling any sense of accomplishment. Risen’s gameplay structure goes a long way to separating the hardcore RPG fans from the more casual gamer.

If you can look past Risen’s subpar visuals, you might actually be surprised. What the world of Faranga lacks in beauty, it more than makes up for in substance.

At the end of the day, how much you get out of Risen is directly proportionate to how much you’re willing to put into it…and also how much you are willing to overlook.

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1857/Risen/p1/

That is a well-balanced presentation. He talks about the type of gamer who might like the game and the type of gamer who might not like it — not merely about whether the game matched his own personal preferences.

Btw, to the guy who said "Xbox sucks," the reviews for the NA port are not that far off from the 77 average of the PC version — at least the ones I've seen (78, 73). It's not the graphical equivalent of the PC version, I'm sure, but "Xbox sucks, PC great" is a bit of an overstatement.

I find it amusing that AI in Risen, that dodges, backs ups and waits for an opening is sooo much worse than AI in Fallout 3 (a GOTY), that runs straight at you, or zig zags like a puppy having an aneurysm.

I agree, the AI in Risen was actually pretty good compared to most action-RPGs.

@Anderson - Did you get your copy yet? I saw the Xbox version today at Gamestop.

Overall melee in that game was a real gem. It took me 10 tries and 30 minutes to kill my first Elite Lizard, very memorable. Know if I only knew I had 573 more to kill...

I had the distinct feeling that the reviewer hasn't played the game much. Stating that "leveling up doesn't matter" feels rather… wrong. Certainly with all those games using level scaling these days. I have the 360 version, and besides the terrible graphics I enjoyed the games immensely. It's probably my favourite game of 2009.

@Anderson - Did you get your copy yet? I saw the Xbox version today at Gamestop.

No, I'm going to wait a bit. My attention got captured by Destructoid's 10/10 for Deadly Premonition, a $20 budget title that is "absolutely terrible in a completely hilarious way," "a masterpiece of atrocious, a veritable triumph of terrible." http://www.destructoid.com/review-deadly-premonition-165168.phtml

Just sounds like too much fun to pass up. :)

So I'll get to Risen a little bit later. I'm paying attention to how the Xbox crowd is receiving it, though. It seems to be mixed, as you would expect -- some people really love the exploration, the lack of hand-holding, how much work it takes to earn something (e.g., armor), all the little things you can do, how the quests seem to feed into the main storyline, etc. Other people seem to get really annoyed at the sub-par graphics and the occasionally bad framerate.

No, I'm going to wait a bit. My attention got captured by Destructoid's 10/10 for Deadly Premonition, a $20 budget title that is "absolutely terrible in a completely hilarious way," "a masterpiece of atrocious, a veritable triumph of terrible." http://www.destructoid.com/review-deadly-premonition-165168.phtml.

That does look fun, I hope they release a PS3 version. I'm a bit skeptical of Destructoid's reviews though, they seem to rate a lot of games very highly.

Going to grab that myself when I get a gap in my schedule. I enjoyed the demo but was quite surprised when Bill Harris climbed aboard. Seems to have captivated quite a few people.

I'm definitely going to get the full game, but not until it drops in price a bit. That $60 price tag is a bit hard to swallow, I'm just not sure if it's *that* good.

Who is Bill Harris?

60$ ... games are really cheap in NA.

Back
Top Bottom