|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Piracy part 2 - Spotify and other possible solutions

Default Piracy part 2 - Spotify and other possible solutions

May 15th, 2010, 22:57
Originally Posted by Ubereil View Post
I can't say anything about that since CD's became popular when my brother was 10 and I was 3. My brother certanly had more than 50 CD's though.

Games, on the other hand… He did not buy all that many of his Amiga games…
You might want to look at ease of use as a potential explanation of that disparity.

Pirating music in the pre-MP3 era (which also would be the pre-cheap cd burner era) was a hassle. While taping music was very common it was also a somewhat slow process that produced a technically inferior copy. You simply didnt get the same thing through piracy.

Amiga discs could OTOH be copied in a few minutes, without losing any quality.

Unsurprisingly music sales took a significant hit when various technologies made it easy and cheap to make perfect copies of music. Spotify and various legal download services have AFAIK only managed to partially reverse that development.

Zaleukos

Bum

May 21st, 2010, 19:31
In this tiny interview says Mike Capps of Epic Megagames, that piracy has turned them from the PC to consoles.
http://www.gamestar.de/news/vermisch…4991/epic.html

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Piracy part 2 - Spotify and other possible solutions