|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age - Sequel Dated?

Default Dragon Age - Sequel Dated?

March 12th, 2010, 11:41
VG247 (via 1Up) has an interesting discovery. Apparently retail copies of Dragon Age: Awakening contain a teaser card with an image of the Dragon Age blood dragon - and a date of February 1st, 2011. We already know a sequel is expected around that time, according to a recent EA financial conference call. Is this the specific release date for a sequel?
Thanks, Lemonhead.
More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 11:41
Dragon Age 2 in less than a year from now?

I'll believe it when it happens.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 16,931

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 12:42
I have my doubts as well.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 5,179
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 12:51
If it's true I will bet at best for another expansion, like Awakening.
Tuco is offline

Tuco

Tuco's Avatar
Watchdog

#4

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 172

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 13:16
It could very well be, they did something similiar with Baldurs Gate I and II, they can use the same engine and everything with same minor tweaks and just provide a new story.

Anyway… I don't care much for DA… EA completely ruined it (exactly as they did with almost every past game franchise they acquired… hello Ultima?) with their mainstrean approach, filling it with blood, sex and arcadeish elements like auto heal or resurrect.
Francesco is offline

Francesco

SasqWatch

#5

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 23

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 13:34
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
It could very well be, they did something similiar with Baldurs Gate I and II, they can use the same engine and everything with same minor tweaks and just provide a new story.

Anyway… I don't care much for DA… EA completely ruined it (exactly as they did with almost every past game franchise they acquired… hello Ultima?) with their mainstrean approach, filling it with blood, sex and arcadeish elements like auto heal or resurrect.
I understand how you feel. I was crushed when I found out what Dragon Age was going to be like. I was hoping for it to look something like what Diablo III is looking now with the sharp graphics with the isometric view, and a combat system similiar to Dungeons & Dragons working in the background. Maybe a modern version of The Temple of Elemental Evil is what I feel Dragon Age should have been. The only roots Dragon Age shows from the Baldurs Gate series is you kill monsters… However, I still bought it and think it's a decent game. I like it mostly because there really isnt much out there thats is as polished and well thoguht out as DAO. I still boot my Temple of Elemental Evil to get my computer D&D fix from time to time.
spiraling69 is offline

spiraling69

Sentinel

#6

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA, New Jersey
Posts: 304

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 13:50
Originally Posted by spiraling69 View Post

However, I still bought it and think it's a decent game. I like it mostly because there really isnt much out there thats is as polished and well thoguht out as DAO. I still boot my Temple of Elemental Evil to get my computer D&D fix from time to time.
Sure, it's still a decent game and in fact I bought it too, some of the game aspects rock, but far from being the Baldurs Gate sequel I have always been waiting.

It would have been nice if at least EA kept away from the PC all those console elements that, in my opinion, completely ruin the experience. Well.. I guess it was too much to ask.
Francesco is offline

Francesco

SasqWatch

#7

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 23

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 14:44
Probably one of ea's biggest successes, they probably have at least two teams, plus 3 times the normal contractors working, to get another cash cow out the door.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.
Acleacius is offline

Acleacius

SasqWatch

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,486

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 14:48
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
Anyway… I don't care much for DA… EA completely ruined it (exactly as they did with almost every past game franchise they acquired… hello Ultima?) with their mainstrean approach, filling it with blood, sex and arcadeish elements like auto heal or resurrect.
EA did all that? Really? How do you know?

Also, this could well be Dragon Age 2. There should be no surprise there; BioWare's stipulations under EA put them at a very high output of millions-selling AAA titles, so expect their output to be much higher than it was pre-EA.
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,551

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 14:52
I hope it's DA2. I don't want to play with my level 30+ characters. My experience of 'epic levels' in all games is … cheese.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#10

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,846

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 16:03
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
EA did all that? Really? How do you know?
My thoughts too. Bioware have long showed a tendency to use auto-heal / resurrection after battles… all the way back to KotOR if I remember rightly, through NWN and then Mass Effect.
Holly Avenger is offline

Holly Avenger

Holly Avenger's Avatar
Watchdog

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 138

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 17:18
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
EA did all that? Really? How do you know?
Every single PC game franchise buoght by EA is either DEAD or CONSOLIZED, this is a fact. DA is no different.
Francesco is offline

Francesco

SasqWatch

#12

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 23

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 18:52
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
VG247 (via 1Up) has an interesting discovery. Apparently retail copies of Dragon Age: Awakening contain a teaser card with an image of the Dragon Age blood dragon - and a date of February 1st, 2011. We already know a sequel is expected around that time, according to a recent EA financial conference call. Is this the specific release date for a sequel?
Thanks, Lemonhead.
More information.
We actually do no know that the sequel is expected around that time, we know a Dragon Age title is expected around then. Which could be an expansion, sequel, unrelated game, ect. This is just more confirmation that a Dragon Age title is coming out around that time. Anything further is just speculation and conjecture.
Krovikan is offline

Krovikan

Traveler

#13

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 18:56
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
EA did all that? Really? How do you know
I enjoy Dragon Age; however I am scared that EA will eventually do to Bioware what they did to Westwood, Bullfrog, Maxis, ect
Krovikan is offline

Krovikan

Traveler

#14

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 19:44
Hey! It's EA! They gotta make $$$ somehow when about all else they've got is their very tired sports games, but I guess it's hard to make a new version every year that's actually worth it any longer. In the 90s they could get away doing major gfx updates every year and implementing more new features. Now it feel more like they should just release roster/stat updates as DLC but I guess that wouldn't make them nearly as much $$$.

Anyways, they'll run DA into ground before long. Spewing out DLC on release was disgusting(wonder where that DLC came from… hmm… cut maybe?), and then IIRC an expansion pack due soon that costs about the same as the original game while not being as large?

Usual EA behavior. I figure that Bioware's got about 5y left… one expensive BW release that tanks and they'll be on the cost cutting floor. (And I remember EA when they were decent. Shame what they've turned into.)
cutterjohn is offline

cutterjohn

SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 257

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 21:24
Originally Posted by cutterjohn View Post
Usual EA behavior. I figure that Bioware's got about 5y left… one expensive BW release that tanks and they'll be on the cost cutting floor. (And I remember EA when they were decent. Shame what they've turned into.)
Yeah, I have many great videogames on my shelf released in the 90s by the "old" EA… but at some point they turned into this money hungry powerhouse.
They ruined great companies like Origin, Westwood, Bulfrong, Maxis… and these are just the first that came into my mind, I fear for Bioware.

I guess we can't blame them… as long as people keep buying their games they will feel no need to change. That's why I stopped to support this crap a while ago and stopped buying EA stuff unless I'm really forced to (couldn't resist and had to buy DA).
Francesco is offline

Francesco

SasqWatch

#16

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 23

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 22:01
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
We actually do no know that the sequel is expected around that time, we know a Dragon Age title is expected around then. Which could be an expansion, sequel, unrelated game, ect. This is just more confirmation that a Dragon Age title is coming out around that time. Anything further is just speculation and conjecture.
Absolutely correct - that was an error and the newsbit has been edited. That said, this will be a sequel.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#17

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964

Default 

March 12th, 2010, 22:31
Originally Posted by spiraling69 View Post
I understand how you feel. I was crushed when I found out what Dragon Age was going to be like. I was hoping for it to look something like what Diablo III is looking now with the sharp graphics with the isometric view, and a combat system similiar to Dungeons & Dragons working in the background. Maybe a modern version of The Temple of Elemental Evil is what I feel Dragon Age should have been. The only roots Dragon Age shows from the Baldurs Gate series is you kill monsters… However, I still bought it and think it's a decent game. I like it mostly because there really isnt much out there thats is as polished and well thoguht out as DAO. I still boot my Temple of Elemental Evil to get my computer D&D fix from time to time.

You COMPLETELY discredit yourself by mentioning Diablo 3 as the pinnacle of RPG.
On the PC, you can get the iso view very easily. Have you actually played it?

It seems some of you guys have been living under a rock for the past 7 years or so.
EA has stopped being the "evil empire" about 3-4 years ago. Activision is the new EA.

As for Bioware making DA console friendly… what are you smoking? Auto Res. has been
the standard long before EA entered the picture. Bioware seems almost completely unchanged
from how they've always been. IN FACT, there are running jokes how all their games are
the same. You guys need to wake up.
PegasusOrgans is offline

PegasusOrgans

PegasusOrgans's Avatar
Watchdog

#18

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 167

Default 

March 13th, 2010, 03:47
Yeah, I can't agree with too much there. DA looked pretty good in "iso" mode to me. And as much as I liked ToEE, it's a pretty limited design with little in common with BG/BG2, other than the D&D rules. BioWare has *always* done character-centric games - why would you expect anything like ToEE?

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#19

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964

Default 

March 13th, 2010, 03:49
Originally Posted by countingdown7 View Post
You COMPLETELY discredit yourself by mentioning Diablo 3 as the pinnacle of RPG.
He was just talking about the graphical presentation, so that's a bit unfair.
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#20

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,551
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age - Sequel Dated?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:06.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch