|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » Favourite RPG Developer?

View Poll Results - Favourite RPG Developer?

Interplay / Black Isle 295 23.12%
Bethsoft 54 4.23%
BioWare 215 16.85%
Blizzard 29 2.27%
Piranha Bytes 133 10.42%
Troika 394 30.88%
Sir-tech 56 4.39%
Origin 62 4.86%
NWC 22 1.72%
Spiderweb 16 1.25%
Voters: 1276. You may not vote on this poll

Default Favourite RPG Developer?

March 4th, 2009, 11:00
Your favourite RPG developer? Hit the poll!

I've kept the list to well-known developers with multiple titles (and polls only support 10 options, anyway) but feel free to add others in the comments.

Apologies to any number of developers missing.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 4th, 2009, 11:32
Troika beat them all out of the water with just three titles. I was a little torn between Sir-tech, Origin, and Interplay. Especially Sir-Tech they made some great games and everytime I saw their brand at the computer store or in a magazine, I knew it would be good. Still even with that said, Troika out did them in three games compared to their long lifetime as a developer.

Interplay would of got it just for Planescape and BG, but they messed it all with BOS. They definatly aren't my favorite since they ditched Van Buren and BG3 (don't know the technical title) and made BOS instead.

Origin went online. Period end of story. Not my favorite at all since they ditched us SPs to the deserts of nothingness. Even before EA took over Lord British kept going on and on about Online this, Online that, real humans. Aghhh what about your core fans.

Troika may have been buggy, but I've forgiven that when faced with how good all three of their games were, even buggy. Troika came the closest to what I think the RPG genre means.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

March 4th, 2009, 11:37
I nearly clicked Troika but when I thought about it, Fallout + PS:T had to make it IPLY / Black Isle, plus I enjoyed IWD. Most of these companies have given me hours of enjoyment, at any rate.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 4th, 2009, 11:44
How could I've forgotten about Fallout. Still would of went with Troika though. I always want to see the little guys do well and compared to what Troika did with the little bit they had is amazing. Too bad they couldn't of done more, I'm sure we would of seen big things from them.

But your definatly right, tons of fun and many a sleepless night from every developer up there.

Too bad CD Projekt Red hasn't released more than one title (although in many forms) or I'm sure you would of included them as well. Still would of went with Troika though, but it would of made it four difficult choices.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

March 4th, 2009, 11:45
I'm gonna vote PB, but Black Isle is very close. PB because of the amazing experience that the Gothic series were until G3. And because of the soon-to-be-released Risen which seems like it will offer a deep experience very similar to G1/G2.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

March 4th, 2009, 12:24
I was between Black Isle and Troika … and went Troika since they represent doing things differently at a time when PC gaming had already been declared dead as opposed to Black Isle who was operating when PC gaming was still pretty dominant in areas most of us care about.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 4th, 2009, 13:09
I am torn between Black Isle, BioWare, Blizzard and PB. I went with PB in the end, not because I consider their games so far greater than Blizzard/BW/BI, but because I consider it more likely that Risen++ will blow me away than other new titles. PB is a breath of fresh air in an industry where the mainstream developers usually are the only ones to survive.

Edit - I'd probably rate it:
1. PB
2. BW
3. BI
4. Blizz

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

March 4th, 2009, 13:11
I say that there's a family that includes "the people who worked on Fallout and Baldur's Gate", which consists of Black Isle, Troika, Bioware and Obsidian. They share a similar design philosophy which makes them produce the kind of games I want in a RPG.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

March 4th, 2009, 13:13
Tough one! I gave some love to piranha Bytes because they're the only ongoing studio on the list that I think might make a game I really, truly love.

Honourable mentions to Troika for being great even if not successful, and to interplay & black Isle for planescape.

Benedict

SasqWatch

March 4th, 2009, 13:22
Who's NWC ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 4th, 2009, 13:39
Arcanum and VTM:B are just about my two favorite RPGs ever, so even though I loved PS:T + Fallout, and MCA is the shit; it had to be Troika. Bio and Blizz would be the in 3rd and 4th.

Badesumofu

SasqWatch

March 4th, 2009, 14:16
I'm with txa, but since he went with Troika I'll go with IPlay/Black Isle.

Also, the Black Isle splash screen animation is the only one that still gives me a thrill when I see it.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

March 4th, 2009, 14:58
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Who's NWC ?
New World Computing, home of the Might and Magic series, and winner of my vote by a very thin margin over Sir-Tech.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

March 4th, 2009, 15:02
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Who's NWC ?
New World Computing of Might and Magic (and Heroes of Might and Magic) fame. Btw, where's the Attic love? The Realms of Arkania series was fantastic. Similarly, what about SSI? Before the rise of Black Isle, Bioware, Troika and others, SSI were doing hard-core D&D adventures with their Gold Box series, including "Pool of Radiance," "Pools of Darkness," "Dark Sun" and many others…

Cabel Blacke

Watcher

March 4th, 2009, 15:26
As much as I love the BG and IWD games, I had to go with Origin.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

March 4th, 2009, 15:30
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
Troika beat them all out of the water with just three titles.
I can't say I'm a huge fan of Troika. All three of their titles were extremely buggy when put out and only through unofficial patches have the issues (and not all of them) been resolved. I tried both ToEE (agree that technically a cool game, but zero plot) and Vampire, but never could get into either.

Interplay would of got it just for Planescape and BG, but they messed it all with BOS. They definatly aren't my favorite since they ditched Van Buren and BG3 (don't know the technical title) and made BOS instead.
What was BOS?

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

March 4th, 2009, 15:32
I went for PB -> If there never was a gothic, I would never have met the people here. That makes it the most important one and my favourite.

so very, very tired (Star Trek XI quote according to the Simpsons)

Bartacus

BartWatch

March 4th, 2009, 16:38
Some years ago I would instantly vote for BioWare cause in one way or another they had something to do with some masterpieces,but because of their decisions to make KotOR an MMO I would rather vote for Bethsoft.
Blizzard is good but I cannot remember the last RPG they developed,even if Diablo and WoW can be called RPGs they are not good enough to be compared with classics like Planescape and Fallout.
The only Troika game I've played is Vampires the Masquarade which may have been buggy when release but with Wesps Patches is a rare gem.
Piranha Bytes are the creators of my favorite series but 2 great and 1 buggy game are not enough to beat the creators of genre's best games.
Finally my vote goes to Black Isle since they created cult classics like Fallout and Planescape.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

March 4th, 2009, 16:40
Voted Black Isle.

The Fallout games and PS:T still stands for me as some of the best there has ever been made.

Think Bioware would come in 2nd, Blizz 3rd…and then a mixture of Troika, NWC and Bethsoft.

Problem with the last 3 is that I have only played 1 great game for each of those.

Foss

Watchdog

March 4th, 2009, 16:47
Troika were the best, Black Isle follows very closely.

Grumpi

Traveler

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » Favourite RPG Developer?