|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Alpha Protocol - But Thou Must: Choice in Games

Default Alpha Protocol - But Thou Must: Choice in Games

April 19th, 2010, 14:01
But Thou Must: Choice in Games is the title of a GDC presentation by four Obsidian developers about choice and reactivity in roleplaying games. I've filed this under Alpha Protocol, because they use this as their illustrative example. They discuss some of the reactivity in AP (such as characters responding to to what the player is wearing), provide a brief history of choice in RPGs, the benefits of choice but also the developmental resource costs involved.
There's a video here at Blip.tv and although I haven't had time to fully watch the nearly 1 hour panel, I can tell you Chris Avellone is a funny bastard and this is well worth a look.
While we're on AP, GameSpot has nearly 8 minutes of footage and conversation with Sega's Tim Ernst, although we've seen most of it before.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 19th, 2010, 14:02
I'd seriously recommend watching the presentation video, it's A) informative and B) funny as hell. Truly hilarious stuff.

Starwars

Watchdog

April 19th, 2010, 18:16
It's an extremely fun and informative presentation so as long as you can follow what they're saying when they're half-drunk lol. It seems they're really pushing choices in their games, Alpha Protocol of course, but I believe New Vegas will have the same philosophy.
I'm excited to see how the game plays out.

WorstUsernameEver

Sentinel

April 19th, 2010, 18:35
Originally Posted by Starwars View Post
I'd seriously recommend watching the presentation video, it's A) informative and B) funny as hell. Truly hilarious stuff.
+1

I was sold on AP before watching this. Now, I am doubly sold!

Really though, it is well worth a watch, even if you have no interest in AP. It was fun and gave us "lesser mortals" a glimpse of the huge amount of work needed to create an RPG.

Avoid the Crazy Chicken. It is childish. Don't do it. We beg you.

leth

Watchdog

April 19th, 2010, 19:06
Originally Posted by leth View Post
Really though, it is well worth a watch, even if you have no interest in AP. It was fun and gave us "lesser mortals" a glimpse of the huge amount of work needed to create an RPG.
That, and drinking games. Don't ever forget drinking games.

WorstUsernameEver

Sentinel

April 19th, 2010, 22:30
The dev dudes at the presentation video were fun like hell, and i like the way they interact with people

Obsidian always had my respect and i must say that i'm really looking forward to Alpha Protocol & New Vegas.

Hey, they also like Bloodlines!

Cerberus

Daughter of Janus

April 19th, 2010, 22:43
I concur, the presentation was funny and quite informative. No wonder that quality rpgs are hard to come by these days. Alpha protocol just jumped on must get list

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

April 20th, 2010, 08:52
I normally don't like spy games, but this one looks very promising.

SveNitoR

Sentinel

April 20th, 2010, 18:27
DAMN! i'm soooo hyped about this game!

gargar

Watcher

April 20th, 2010, 19:54
Originally Posted by gargar View Post
DAMN! i'm soooo hyped about this game!
No! Don't do it!

Just go in thinking "It'll probably be OK" and you will enjoy it much more. People who get all hyped up are almost inevitably disappointed even when the game is really quite good.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

April 20th, 2010, 20:04
It will suck.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

April 20th, 2010, 20:11
I'm sure the site will catch it in an update, but there's new videos here in the meantime: http://www.destructoid.com/exclusive…e-171458.phtml

Apparently, destructoid will be putting up new videos each day now to introduce characters of Alpha Protocol. Today is the info dealer Grigori and the ex-Stasi mercenary SIE.

Starwars

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Alpha Protocol - But Thou Must: Choice in Games