|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex - Steam Sale

Default Deus Ex - Steam Sale

April 21st, 2010, 14:23
Nice timing with our current poll, Steam currently has Deus Ex (and Invisible War) on sale for $2.50 each. Those polygons are aging but you can't go wrong with a classic for that price.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 21st, 2010, 14:23
I find it strange that the Deus's are readily available but I can't get a digital Win7 working copy of a System Shock yet.
Probably something to do with those pesky distribution rights that stops me buying an ebook in Australia that is available elsewhere.

pox67

Watchdog

April 21st, 2010, 14:25
Originally Posted by pox67 View Post
I find it strange that the Deus's are readily available but I can't get a digital Win7 working copy of a System Shock yet.
Probably something to do with those pesky distribution rights that stops me buying an ebook in Australia that is available elsewhere.
System Shock works absolutely great in DOSBox though. Finished it last year in 1280x1024 resolution.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

April 21st, 2010, 20:58
Lose the Invisible War and we have a deal Valve.

Well, I already have original copy and gold edition CD box so remove the DRM first (which means remove it from Steam and move to GOG) and I will even pay 60 USD for DX.

Oh and no IW.

ortucis

April 21st, 2010, 22:10
Oh now. IW isn't that bad. It's not stellar, particular in comparison to it's predecessor; but taken on it's own, it's a good game.

Trelow

Watchdog

April 21st, 2010, 22:25
I'm actually in the middle of a replay of Deus Ex, saw it on the Alpha Protocol vid posted a few days ago, guess the suits did too…or something.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

April 21st, 2010, 22:29
I agree with Trelow. IW wasn't as good as Deus Ex but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. It's sure beats most things released these days.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

April 21st, 2010, 23:57
No, it means exactly that. Only single thing which is holding Invicible War above water is it's storyline and the references to the orginal game. First game had a better storyline ofcourse and the main characters in IW are all forgetable but you can try to play iw for the sake of storyline which is in fact somewhat intresting. I can't think of single other reason why i would like to play it.

I may look this issue through DX1 glasses but even if I ignore the entire dx1 element, the game remains still extremly flawed.

First of all the whole inventory thing was a big mess. It didn't work properly and the limited space drove me nuts because they removed the easily functional click and drop system. Its one thing to have a console interface but when it doesn't even work on console game pad properly, you have to draw some conclusions. Did they even test it on real gamers?.

Moreover what annoyed me a great deal in IW was how levels felt small and claustrophobic. You rarely got to experience that open space feeling that made dx1 locations so memorable and real-like. They didn't even understand that this very design philosophy was behind their success. All dx1 levels followed non linear design formula. For example the NSF-base at new york city had multiple entry points. You could blast your way in through the front door or sneak through roofs. Or take a hidden basement route through sewer system and hack your way past electronic defenses.

In iw most levels consisted of linear and artificial tunnels. They didn't even feel real. the linear design wasn't the only failure. IW locations also lacked detail. Dx1 locations were full of small datacubes, newspapers, everyday furniture and household items, lights, atms, computer terminals, phones. The player was able to interact with the gameworld. He could use atms to get more credits, use computer terminals to hack into systems and read people's emails and gather valuable info etc. In IW they removed this aspect almost entirely. Non-linear interactive gameworld was replaced with static gameworld.

Universal ammo must be the saddest single thing in the whole fucking game. It totally wrecked the fun part for me. While i was able to complete game i couldn't look past the dumbness of this concept. What ever Harvey smith and co were smoking while creating this thing…

And have you guys forgotten how they removed skills, streamlined weapon/item upgrades, removed location based damage system and made aug choises reversibe. In a sense basicly ruining everything which made dx1 character building fun.

And you say it is a decent game…I can understand this somewhat if I take it as a pure shooter, but even then the gameplay remains flawed as hell. Simply put its not a fun game to play.

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

April 22nd, 2010, 01:53
It works ok in Steam then?

I had a hard time getting into Deus Ex. Too much a shooter. I could try it again, but it seemed aged as well the first time I hooked it up..or was that SS2?

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

April 22nd, 2010, 02:46
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
I had a hard time getting into Deus Ex. Too much a shooter. I could try it again, but it seemed aged as well the first time I hooked it up..or was that SS2?
If you don't like the shooter aspect, take skills that don't focus on shooting, like computers, electronics or lockpicking. Need to play more stealthy then, think Nosferatu in Bloodlines. The skills you choose really do make a considerable difference in this game (unlike in say, Mass Effect).

Augmentations let you make even more permanent, exclusive choices that support your play style. Couple the skills from above with good melee skills ("Low-Tech weapons") and you've got yourself a Thief character. I developed mine to be a stealthy master sniper, IIRC.

As for the game's age, I'm sure there are things like high-res mods to improve the look a bit.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

April 22nd, 2010, 02:53
I have to agree with Dez, Invisible War sucked, plain and simple. I just played through DX and IW last year, and I had to force myself to finish IW. The only level I really enjoyed was Liberty Island, and that's only because I thought it was cool to be back in an area from DX.

@Lucky Day: Like Arhu said, you can go totally stealth\non-lethal in DX if you want. That's what I did in my last playthough, and I only (intentionally) killed one person in the entire game, and it's a long game.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 22nd, 2010, 05:15
PC Gamer recently gave Dues Ex their best game of all time award. And they listed the bad AI as one of the best things about it! Bad AI made more interesting approaches possible.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

(Jeez, this and GoG pushing out Master of Orion right after I get a new beast of a computer. Great. All that money for a new PC and here I am going on a retro binge. NVIDIA is going to come take my card away from me if they find out!)

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex - Steam Sale