|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Electronic Arts masterplan for 2014.

Default Electronic Arts masterplan for 2014.

January 4th, 2015, 22:51
No it was not giving us ME4.
It was not polishing DA3 controls for PC.
It was not patching bug-o-rama Sims 4.

It was:
Electronic Arts hopes to hit $1 billion in DLC revenues this year
http://www.pcgamer.com/electronic-ar…ues-this-year/

So there. It's currently unknown if the plan was successful.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 4th, 2015, 22:54
Well this doesn't surprise me at all.

This has been one of EA's goals for the last few years, and they will make it as digital sales of post launch DLC, and other useless DLC will guarantee they do.

I long ago stopped opposing DLC as it won, and consumers wallets have spoken.

"Don't underestimate the quiet majority as we are legion on the Internet."

RPGWatch
Senior News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

The Super Potato
RPGWatch Team

January 4th, 2015, 22:58
But how to deal with it?

I'm sick and tired of replying in numerous threads on Sims forum where cretins ask "when will we get DLC already". And now I see such threads are appearing on Bioware forums too.

Some will say nothing wrong with it, but those people are not talking about proper expansions but are actually asking for - horse armor!

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 4th, 2015, 23:03
To each their own. Some people like horse armor and want to spend their money on it. Let them have their fun

Fluent

The Nameless Hero
RPGWatch Team

January 4th, 2015, 23:09
I agree but many gamers have no problem with cosmetic DLC Joxer. As for me I long for the days when a game would get a 30-40 hour expansion pack.

Nowadays it's chopped into smaller releases that cost less, but makes the developer more money in the long run. I also rarely see any Bioware/EA DLC on sale.

As for the Sims please don't get me started. That's one franchise that figured out how to milk their consumers multiply times, and still sell new games.

My solution is wait for a complete pack or just buy what you want to play.

RPGWatch

Couchpotato

The Super Potato
RPGWatch Team

January 4th, 2015, 23:13
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
My solution is wait for a complete pack or just buy what you want to play.
That's the whole idea. DLC is meant to be a la carte, you buy what you want and have fun with it.

It just strikes me as completely narrow-minded when gamers complain about being given more choices in how to consume their content. 10 DLCs is better than 1 expansion because you can buy the 5 DLCs you care about and skip the rest (just an example.)

The point is, DLC gives us more options.

Fluent

The Nameless Hero
RPGWatch Team

January 4th, 2015, 23:20
Fluent I also find it narrow minded when members criticize other members for remembering expansion packs, and preferring them over multiple DLC's.

Anyway as I said I above I stopped caring about this issue as DLC has won.

RPGWatch

Couchpotato

The Super Potato
RPGWatch Team

January 4th, 2015, 23:43
Fluent since I finished Wasteland 2 and feel exhausted after all those superb RPGs in 2014., perhaps I should return to the start_with_a_plothole consoleport of The Last Remnant? I mean… I need some dull title as a break from great games…

On the positive side, it's not EA game and it doesn't have DLC.
But… It's hard to go play something when you know noone else on RPGwatch plays it.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 4th, 2015, 23:46
For some things small DLC's may be OK, for other things not, depends on what's in them. At least Skyrim had two DLC's with expansion pack sized content (judged by the time I spent on them). Whether that's a good thing or not depends of course on how much you (dis)like Skyrim. But I wouldn't want those two being split into smaller units.

AFAIR Fallout 3 aso had a few bigger than average dlcs???

In general I think that some DLC's are good. Many are not. But I don't have anything against the things on principle.

pibbur who remembers that the big B. was one of the dlc pioneers with their horse armour pack. And who some times buys dlc's many good people think is a waste of money. And time.

PS. @Joxer: Any picture with black-and-white cows in a field should be used strictly in connection with Pink Floyd. DS.

d++a60e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++
Last edited by pibbur who; January 4th, 2015 at 23:58.

pibbur who

JE SUIS CHARLIE

January 5th, 2015, 00:57
We have this DLC discussion all the time. Everyone knows my thoughts already. DLC gives gamers options, bottom line. I'm not going to write an essay to explain it.

If you don't like horse armor, don't purchase it and move on!

Fluent

The Nameless Hero
RPGWatch Team

January 5th, 2015, 02:31
Do Add-Ons to MMOs also count as "DLC" ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 5th, 2015, 03:43
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
We have this DLC discussion all the time. Everyone knows my thoughts already. DLC gives gamers options, bottom line. I'm not going to write an essay to explain it.

If you don't like horse armor, don't purchase it and move on!
Sometimes it's not quite that simple, Fluent. I agree with you on principle if every DLC would be an optional side story or cosmetic stuff or horse armor. That would be totally fine. D'accord.

But unfortunately it's not like that in the real world. For example, Risen 2. Just about the only interesting unfinished storyline from the first part was the hunt for Steelbeard's treasure. And the only way to see that storyline -to its very anticlimactic by the way- conclusion was to buy the Treasure Isle DLC.
Or one of the few interesting NPCs from Risen 1, Eldric. The only way to meet him again in part 2 was buying the Air Temple DLC.
These two DLCs included content that definitely should have been a part of the main game. Deep Silver fully counted on the popularity of both DLC's themes, knowing very well that gamers would want to pick up those loose strings from Risen 1.

And there are unfortunately many more examples like this where significant content has more or less obviously been cut from a game to sell it separately.
You're currently playing G2 NotR, right? Imagine you could only play the 3rd faction if you bought the appropriate DLC… or if you could only meet some of the important NPCs from Gothic 1 (Diego, Milten, Lester, Gorn, Xardas) if you had the DLC.
That's where I and many others begin to have a real problem with DLC. I do not mind horse armor or a shiny sword or some nice robes as extra DLC. Fine. Have at it. But chopping up a game's content and baiting players with "must have" (for the full/best experience) DLC is shady and despicable.
My personal way to deal with it is to wait for GOTY (complete) editions that come with the DLC included. Most of the time I buy them when heavily discounted (sub €10). I'm voting with my wallet.

Moriendor

Spielkind

January 5th, 2015, 10:26
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
But how to deal with it?

I'm sick and tired of replying in numerous threads on Sims forum where cretins ask "when will we get DLC already". And now I see such threads are appearing on Bioware forums too.

Some will say nothing wrong with it, but those people are not talking about proper expansions but are actually asking for - horse armor!
As long as people like you buy their stuff… it'll never change. Join the boycott!

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

January 5th, 2015, 14:01
Among many youngter gamers, DLC has become something "normal". They're trained by the industry, and they like it. Especially since they don't even know a world WITHOUT DLC anymore.

Sad, but true.

And if you are fighting against it, you are a bit like Don Quichote, or how he is spelled.

The only way to make people aware is by spreading knowledge.
Simply trying to stop just doesn't help - it might even provoke a "Trotzreaktion", a reaction into the opposite direction.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 5th, 2015, 14:22
I don't buy DLCs for RPGs, but I don't mind them, as long as they don't affect the original game. If the original game is a full game on its own, and the DLC adds stuff to it, I'm fine with it. I'll never see that extra content, but I never knew it existed in the first place.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

January 5th, 2015, 14:22
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
As long as people like you buy their stuff… it'll never change. Join the boycott!
But how? I can't boycott FarCry3:Blood Dragon. While DLC, it's de facto a standalone game - you don't need to buy FC3 to play it!
Or The Missing Link for DX:HR. It's a side story that does not change anything in the main game.
Or Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches for Dishonored. It's a spinoff story of it's own also not touching the main game.

There is that kind of DLC I'd pay for right now. But it's in the same basket with Horse Armor garbage as both are called DLC.
Can we have a different name so I can say I'm boycotting this thing and am buying this other type?

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 5th, 2015, 14:55
But how? I can't boycott FarCry3:Blood Dragon. While DLC, it's de facto a standalone game - you don't need to buy FC3 to play it!
Or The Missing Link for DX:HR. It's a side story that does not change anything in the main game.
Or Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches for Dishonored. It's a spinoff story of it's own also not touching the main game.

There is that kind of DLC I'd pay for right now. But it's in the same basket with Horse Armor garbage as both are called DLC.
Can we have a different name so I can say I'm boycotting this thing and am buying this other type?
FC: Blood Dragon is not DLC as it does not require FC3 to play (its standalone), just like Dragonfall. Both DX:HR Missing Link and Dishonored expansions are DLC because they require the original game. That is the distinction between standalone and DLC.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

January 5th, 2015, 15:59
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Do Add-Ons to MMOs also count as "DLC" ?
That is a good question. Just like I was wondering if EA was counting all their F2P cash shop stuff as DLC too.

azarhal

SasqWatch

January 5th, 2015, 16:09

Just boycott all of EA… that is a good solution. As for other companies well, maybe to boycott all their DLC would be enough… it is too hard to categorize it.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

January 5th, 2015, 16:37
All I can boycott definitely and I do it, are games that contain Season Pass.
That thing is IMO more dangerous than Horse Armor. With Horse Armor you at least know what you're getting.

And I can't boycott all of EA. What I can boycott is their DLC. The best example is DLC planned for Sims 4 that will be released this month.
Now that DLC does add new gameplay options which qualifies it as "good" DLC unlike their so called stuff packs that are in fact packs of different horse armor. However, Maxis didn't fix the bloody base game. It's not bugged as Skyrim, there are less than 500 bugs, but more than 100. And I'm not paying for expansion on a bug-o-rama.

I did, deliberately, buy all missions DLC for Mass Effect games. Only that way I could prove that those DLC are pay2win content as they guarantee the "best ending" if you're not playing multiplayer part of ME3. Because noone else wrote down numbers nor made screenshots like I did.

It was in fact Mass Effect DLC business model that made me hate DLC business in general. If you remember, my "crusade" contra DLC started after I stepped on that EA horseshit.
I believe I wrote it before. EA could pack up all ME2 and ME3 DLC into one game, call it Mass Effect 2.5 and sell it as standalone product. But they didn't. Because they're running sicillian mafia money laundry scheme with Bioware Points.
Not only that. There is a package on Origin you can buy called Mass Effect Trilogy. By buying it, you don't automatically receive all DLC. Just base games.

In a way, yes, boycotting EA is a good start. But longterm it's not a good thing, they did make proper expansions before (for example Awakening) that deserve to be paid for. If we'll boycott that too, then we're discouraging developers to make proper expansions. Because of that, there should be another criteria on what to boycott.

Lemme spice it up with a proper pic:

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Electronic Arts masterplan for 2014.