|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Music in games

Default Music in games

July 21st, 2015, 10:21
I don’t know if it’s just me but it seems like people are really into music in games lately. They’ll add it as a pro or con in a review, they pay real money for a game’s soundtrack, add it as a tier incentive in kickstarter, and other weird shit. I don’t know if these people have heard good music before, but it really blows what you get in games out of the water. It isn’t even kind of close.

When I get a game, the first thing I do is go into options and turn music down to 15% (along with my other usual changes). I don’t do this because I dislike music. I do it because I do like music.

Music in games is like going to a friend’s house and their four year old child draws you a picture. This picture is absolute shit and is usually a bunch of nonsense squiggles because four year old children are fucking stupid idiots that can’t produce anything good besides snot, buggers, and messes. You pretend to like it and make a big deal about it because society decided we should lie our asses of to children so they have inflated self-worth and are ill prepared for the rigors of real life.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, music in games is just not on the same level as real music by people who get played on the radio or sell tapes. I’m kind of stuck in the 90’s music wise due to being in my “cool” prime then, but going back centuries there is so much better music to listen to than anything in a game. Our lists may be different but come on…this is not an important factor in games. It should not impact ratings and should not be mentioned besides on special “Music in Games” websites for the seven people who somehow haven’t heard a radio or found a website that streams actual music.

Stop this nonsense immediately please.
Unrestigered is offline

Unrestigered

Sentinel

#1

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 298

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 10:36
Well in general I tend to agree with you a lot of games have horrible music, there are some fantastic music in some games:

PS: Torment
Final Fantasy Games
Star Wars
Older Command & Conquer games.

List goes on, so sometimes you are really missing out. Also in some games there'll be music that matches with the situation, get more intense during battles and all sorts of things, if you listen to your own music you'll miss all that.
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,978

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 10:48
Originally Posted by Unrestigered View Post
When I get a game, the first thing I do is go into options and turn music down to 15%
You're one person I won't discuss if TW3 or AC:Rogue had the best soundtrack in 2015.

I wonder why am I feeling so relieved after writing this.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#3

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,408

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 13:14
You guys assume he is interested in a discussion … the random rant in the middle should have addressed that properly.

And whether or not he 'likes' music … he clearly doesn't understand it.

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 12,318

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 13:30
Originally Posted by Unrestigered View Post
…Stop this nonsense immediately please.
You refer to your posts here, of course.

pibbur who would be happy to help.

d++a60e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++
Last edited by pibbur who; July 21st, 2015 at 15:08.
pibbur who is offline

pibbur who

pibbur who's Avatar
Number 13

#5

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 1,591

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 13:41
Originally Posted by Unrestigered View Post
I don’t know if it’s just me but it seems like people are really into music in games lately. They’ll add it as a pro or con in a review, they pay real money for a game’s soundtrack, add it as a tier incentive in kickstarter, and other weird shit. I don’t know if these people have heard good music before, but it really blows what you get in games out of the water. It isn’t even kind of close.

When I get a game, the first thing I do is go into options and turn music down to 15% (along with my other usual changes). I don’t do this because I dislike music. I do it because I do like music.

Music in games is like going to a friend’s house and their four year old child draws you a picture. This picture is absolute shit and is usually a bunch of nonsense squiggles because four year old children are fucking stupid idiots that can’t produce anything good besides snot, buggers, and messes. You pretend to like it and make a big deal about it because society decided we should lie our asses of to children so they have inflated self-worth and are ill prepared for the rigors of real life.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, music in games is just not on the same level as real music by people who get played on the radio or sell tapes. I’m kind of stuck in the 90’s music wise due to being in my “cool” prime then, but going back centuries there is so much better music to listen to than anything in a game. Our lists may be different but come on…this is not an important factor in games. It should not impact ratings and should not be mentioned besides on special “Music in Games” websites for the seven people who somehow haven’t heard a radio or found a website that streams actual music.

Stop this nonsense immediately please.
This is generally true however game music can sometime blend in with the mood or the atmosphere of the game while you are playing it where by enhancing the said atmosphere/mood while you playing the game which other "great" music cannot do. A great example of this for is the Jeremy Soule's Nerevar Rising theme from Morrowind.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,890

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 13:44
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
You guys assume he is interested in a discussion … the random rant in the middle should have addressed that properly.

And whether or not he 'likes' music … he clearly doesn't understand it.
I have a feeling that Unrestigered is from UK and his brand of "insulting humour" (which is very common here) is lost on some of you guys. I maybe wrong of course.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

SasqWatch

#7

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,890

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 13:51
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I have a feeling that Unrestigered is from UK and his brand of "insulting humour" (which is very common here) is lost on some of you guys. I maybe wrong of course.
Yes. He certainly has got the elegance and quality of "Black Books", "Alas Smith and Jones", "Not the nine of clock news" ….

pibbur who doesn't think he agrees with himself at the moment

d++a60e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++
Last edited by pibbur who; July 21st, 2015 at 16:48.
pibbur who is offline

pibbur who

pibbur who's Avatar
Number 13

#8

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 1,591

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 14:01
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
You guys assume he is interested in a discussion …
Discussion, no, that's not what he's interested in.
It's just a trollbait. He forgot this is not codex.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#9

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,408

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 14:17
Is this guy drunk or something? This is nonsense, but it has some bit of sense it…Witcher III has one of the best soundtracks I've heard in game, but at times it felt like they could have toned it down a bit, to give a player some time to "breathe", especially considering the quality of sound design, that sometimes can be hard to notice.
But it can also do wonders to enrich the game…try to play suicide mission in ME2 with music off and you'll see what I mean.
BoboTheMighty is offline

BoboTheMighty

BoboTheMighty's Avatar
Watchdog

#10

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 219

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 14:43
I tend to take music down to a low percentage too most of the time. The primary reason is music volume is almost always louder than voice or environmental sounds and I want to hear footsteps, and the details of that quest I just accepted. If a game is good enough for an instant replay, I'll leave it higher the second time through.

I agree with everything the troll said about children. This guy reminds me of Roqua or whatever his name was…..

'nut
crpgnut is offline

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Took an arrow to the knee
RPGWatch Donor

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 4,742

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 18:58
Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
You refer to your posts here, of course.

pibbur who would be happy to help.
That is mean and hurtful. Why are you so mean? You big cyber bully.

I have a feeling that Unrestigered is from UK and his brand of "insulting humour" (which is very common here) is lost on some of you guys. I maybe wrong of course.
No, I was born and raised in the most civilized place on Earth and never put spotted dick or any kind of dick for that matter in my mouth. (Brockton, Massachusetts is the most civilized place on Earth by the way.)

Well in general I tend to agree with you a lot of games have horrible music, there are some fantastic music in some games:

PS: Torment
Final Fantasy Games
Star Wars
Older Command & Conquer games.

List goes on, so sometimes you are really missing out. Also in some games there'll be music that matches with the situation, get more intense during battles and all sorts of things, if you listen to your own music you'll miss all that.
Compare any song in any part of those games with the following-

When in a Bioware game’s porno scene instead of the tripe they play now, Rufus and Chaka Kan’s “Tell me Something Good,” comes on. Bam. Can’t beat it.

When you pick up the “bad” Girrrl npc who breaks all the rules and just doesn’t care you have Aron Chupa’s “I’m an Albatraoz” play. Bam. Can’t beat it.

For the intro music of any rpg have “Cisco Kid” by War play. For the opening music of any rpg where the character is a down on his luck farmer have “Patches” performed by Clarence Carter play. Or for walking around music playing Curtis Mayfield’s “Pusherman.” If you get exiled playing Blood for Blood’s “Living in Exile.”

There are literally a million examples I could give. I could write pages and pages about classical, or music from the 60s. Even modern music like Alt J, the elastic heart song, and the Irish guy with the working song. Remember, I am old and like most old people hate new things. But I still think new real radio quality music is far superior to gaming music. I even gave a techno example above. I am a long, long way from being hip. A 41 year old tubby, half Cape Verdean, half Italian tie-to-work-wearing dork who plays crpgs.

There are albums that could be awesome soundtracks to games that literally blow anything done for a game out of the water. Image a game with a soundtrack by any Quicksilver Messenger Service album.

Imagine if the devices we played games on somehow also could play good music. Oh, wait, it can. There is no need for games to waste money on their awful attempts at music making. All games should just come with an ability to upload music by radio quality professionals into various categories. Such as intro, walking around, combat, whatever. Or, as a work around until they do that the music volume slider and playlists.

There, problem solved. You’re welcome everyone.
Unrestigered is offline

Unrestigered

Sentinel

#12

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 298

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 19:13
I love good game music:

loading…
HiddenX is online now

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

#13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 6,119
+1:

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 19:14
Eh…did the barbers put you up to make this post?
Either way…I love it. More crazy is always welcome.
BoboTheMighty is offline

BoboTheMighty

BoboTheMighty's Avatar
Watchdog

#14

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 219

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 19:26
I disagree … Stoughton is MUCH better ��

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 12,318

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 19:36
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I disagree … Stoughton is MUCH better ��
You mean Little Brazil?
Unrestigered is offline

Unrestigered

Sentinel

#16

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 298

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 20:19
Originally Posted by Unrestigered View Post
You mean Little Brazil?
It used to be little Portugal when I was a kid with very large Catholic and Jewish popularions … I didn't realize that the level of diversity was abnormal until I was older

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#17

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 12,318

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 20:40
Yeah. I remember the other big Portuguese hubs as Taunton, Fall River and New Bedford. Cape Verdeans were in Fall River and New Bedford (the Portuguese populations in these areas used them on Whaling Boats).

Growing up people differentiated white populations such as Irish and Italians, Portuguese, etc. Brockton was American Blacks and different kinds of whites. Now it is a huge mixing bowl of Haitians, Dominicans, Salvadorians, Hondurans, Cape Verdean (immigrants), Africans (tons of them, all different kinds), different Arab-types, etc.

The Africans (from all over Africa) in America are like a super race. I went to college full time while working full time, but I took 4 courses per semester and rarely did overtime. The Africans I know or have worked with work fulltime, do a ton of overtime, and take 6 courses a semester (that would have broke me). Some of them have been through the craziest shit and are extremely well adjusted and kind-hearted. Its impossible not to respect them, and resent them since they make me feel like less of a man. But then they'll do something weird like marry their first cousin, and change their name because someone died, and the resentment goes away because they may be a super race, but they all do weird shit.
Unrestigered is offline

Unrestigered

Sentinel

#18

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 298

Default 

July 21st, 2015, 20:41
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
It used to be little Portugal when I was a kid with very large Catholic and Jewish popularions … I didn't realize that the level of diversity was abnormal until I was older
Really?!
What happened next?

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#19

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,408

Default 

July 26th, 2015, 17:05
Originally Posted by Unrestigered View Post
That is mean and hurtful. Why are you so mean? You big cyber bully.
Some of your posts (and posts by your previous incarnation) are IMO trollish and somewhat aggressive. So I thought responding like I did was not being insulting or bullying.

But if you truly were hurt by what I wrote, I have no problems saying I'm sorry.

pibbur who doesn't want to hurt anybody or anything. Except wasps. AND SPIDERS.

d++a60e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++
pibbur who is offline

pibbur who

pibbur who's Avatar
Number 13

#20

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 1,591
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Music in games
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:02.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch