|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Gross PETA commercials on YouTube

Default Gross PETA commercials on YouTube

January 3rd, 2015, 23:35
I have taken to have my 2 years old son watch videos on YouTube on my television, and as I am switching videos a commercial is playing with Paul McArtney saying that everyone should be vegetarian and immediately to footage of a pig being shot wth a gun. My son gets scared and starts crying and I have to comfort him.

This doesn't surprise me considering how loathsome PETA is, but how come this passes Google's Adsense standards?

Has anyone else noticed these disturbing commercials? Usually I block everything but this time I was using the PS4. I certainly didn't expect that PETA would subject my family to this.

Your Heavenly Father loves you and wants you to come to repentance

Humanity has risen!

Keeper of the Watch

January 4th, 2015, 01:20
Yep - this ought to get the ball rolling for the new year.

My suggestion would be to not let two year olds loose on YouTube.

Ripper

I may chew things

January 4th, 2015, 01:26
Remove PC from children until they reach 10.

Gross some things my be, but certain two banned commercials made the car of my dreams - do not let your child near the screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZflDC8ET4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c13GiztOyUo

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 4th, 2015, 01:38
So thats what has been going on with some youtube videos!!! For two days now some youtube videos haven't always been loading properly, but now i know why. That happens because of the addblocker software I'm running which prevents those adds from loading.

Advertisements on youtube videos = The death of youtube as we knew it.
Last edited by Dez; January 4th, 2015 at 03:10.

Dez

Watcher of The Keep

January 4th, 2015, 01:54
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Yep - this ought to get the ball rolling for the new year.

My suggestion would be to not let two year olds loose on YouTube.
I haven't seen the actual commercial, but in general I don't see any reason to stop things like that on Youtube.

You can't and should not expect Youtube to be 2-year friendly. I assume you don't (from what you wrote), and that this was an accident on your side, but Youtube can't let accidents like that decide what to show or not.

pibbur who

d++a60e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++
Last edited by pibbur who; January 4th, 2015 at 03:02.

pibbur who

JE SUIS CHARLIE

+1:

January 4th, 2015, 02:58
I was the one selecting the videos, and it appeared on a totally benign one about trucks. Before I even realized what was going on the ad loaded and my son saw the pig shot in the head. At this point how was I supposed to know what would happen when Google itself approved the ad, on Adsense, supposed to be family friendly at all times?

We're speaking about the people who make an ad gloating about a man being bit to death by a great white shark and countless other nasties.

The worst was that as I was consoling my son, I had to be careful not to laugh at the sheer weirdness and absurdity and sudden nature of the incident.

I already despised PETA but this time it's personal.

Humanity has risen!

Keeper of the Watch

January 4th, 2015, 03:15
I agree that commercials should be shown within a context related to the content of the video (sorry, I'm not a native english speaker, and sometime it's hard to find the correct words). A family friendly video should not show non family friendly commercials.

So, you're right, you couldn't know.

But I strongly believe that in general there should be room for commercials or videos like that. Keeping Youtube all-time family friendly? No, I don't think that's a good idea. But by all means, put things in different channels based on "maturity", whatever is needed to protect minors.

BTW. I may be wrong, but I doubt PETA had any role in putting the commercial in that particular video instance. As such it was not a personal attack against you.

pibbur

pibbur who

JE SUIS CHARLIE

+1:

January 4th, 2015, 14:02
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Remove PC from children until they reach 10.
Of course this. And I'm dead serious on that.

Of course there are games for children out there as well, but still - the PC is a machine for older ones, not for children.

Children should rather watch Sesame Street, imho. (Which I did when I was young. )

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 4th, 2015, 16:13
Fuck Peta, they are scum of the earth.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

January 4th, 2015, 17:42
Scum of the earth seems a bit harsh. I can think of several more suitable candidates,

I've checked them up a bit. And while I disagree with several of their views and methods, I think there is need for organizations working to seriously improve animal welfare. Are there alternatives to PETA in the US?

pibbur who is a semi-vegetarian.

pibbur who

JE SUIS CHARLIE

+1:

January 4th, 2015, 18:01
Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
Scum of the earth seems a bit harsh. I can think of several more suitable candidates,

I've checked them up a bit. And while I disagree with several of their views and methods, I think there is need for organizations working to seriously improve animal welfare. Are there alternatives to PETA in the US?

pibbur who is a semi-vegetarian.
Many alternatives, in fact, and all of them far less extreme. The Humane Society and ASPCA are probably the best known. They still do their job without being violent, criminal loons like PETA.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Great Season! / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster this year?

dteowner

Shoegazer

January 5th, 2015, 11:28
Well, I happen to think that this is not entirely bad.

There is actually a lot of people who don't even understand how meat ends up on our plates.

It's funny when you see people who buy meat in the grocery store just like other things, only to start crying and think it is horrible to eat meat when they come out to the country side and see how it is produced.

Also eating meat is very bad for the environment, so radical means to prevent such a things is not completely uncalled for.

I am trying to eat less and less meat myself, I have not been that successful so far though.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

January 5th, 2015, 13:02
@GG

I too am cutting down on meat, for the same reasons as you, sustainability and animal welfare in industrial farming. My goal is 5 vegetarien (not vegan) days a week. But like you, I haven't been entirely successful. Yet.

As for means, it's not like the end justifies any means. A too radical approach won't make much change, I'm afraid. But we do need to be jerked out of our comfort zone now and then.

pibbur who eats vegetables today

pibbur who

JE SUIS CHARLIE

January 5th, 2015, 13:47
I'm a big meateater, I love meat. It's a shame animals are treated badly, but I don't have enough discipline to stop eating meat because of it.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

January 5th, 2015, 13:57
That's OK with me. I choose not to have strong opinions about what others should eat or not. My wife most times doesn't follow my semi-vegetarian-wannabe lifestyle either.

pibbur

pibbur who

JE SUIS CHARLIE

January 5th, 2015, 20:40
So many fads and complications around food. I try to follow the simple advice :

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

Like Pladiio said, I think it's perfectly natural for humans to eat animals, but the reality of mass meat production is so horrible that I eat veggie - unless I can get straightforward cuts of meat from good sources.

Ripper

I may chew things

January 7th, 2015, 21:49
It's a vegetarian myth that meat production ruins the environment and soils.

Mass monocultures is what is ruining them both. It's growing the same type of grain over and over and over over the same patches of land.

Humanity has risen!

Keeper of the Watch

January 8th, 2015, 12:00
Originally Posted by Humanity has risen! View Post
It's a vegetarian myth that meat production ruins the environment and soils.

Mass monocultures is what is ruining them both. It's growing the same type of grain over and over and over over the same patches of land.
It is most certainly not a myth, if you compare the CO2 needed to produce one cow to the equal amount of food produced by vegetables, you'll see a huge difference.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Gross PETA commercials on YouTube