|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect - Movie Deal Signed

Default Mass Effect - Movie Deal Signed

May 26th, 2010, 06:53
BioWare has announced a Mass Effect movie deal with Legendary Pictures. From Chris Priestly on the official forums:
I am very pleased this morning to announce that there will be a Mass Effect movie made by the fine folks at Legenday Pictures! I know there has been a lot of speculation amongst our fans ever since Mass Effect 1 came out as to whether or not there would be a movie, who should star in it, who would direct, would there be a Wrex sized bucket of popcorn, etc and I can now reveal that, yes, there will be a movie (popcorn deal is still unconfirmed.

Legendary Pictures, the studio behind great films such as The Dark Knight, Watchmen, The Hangover and 300 have picked up the rights to make Mass Effect. Legendary Pictures will produce with Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni along with Avi Arad (who has been behind great films like Iron Man, X-Men and Spider-Man). From BioWare Ray Muzyka, Greg Zeschuck and Casey Hudson will serve as executive producers.

"At BioWare, we’ve always thought of Mass Effect as having the depth, emotion and plot twists perfectly suited for an adaptation to a motion picture,” said Casey Hudson, executive producer of the Mass Effect series. “With Avi Arad and Legendary attached, we believe that the Mass Effect movie will be an extraordinary entertainment event that realizes our vision for the franchise and thrills fans.”

I am super psyched for this and look forward to seeing the Mass Effect movie take shape.
Thanks to Omega for a similar submission.
More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,968

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 06:53
And directed by Uwe Boll. Ok made that last part up.

While I respect 300, Watchmen, Batman Begins, … I just dont see Mass Effect being a good movie adaptation myself. Also my Shepard was female what are the chances that we will see a female lead?
figment is offline

figment

figment's Avatar
Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

#2

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 529

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 08:28
It will suck.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine
JemyM is offline

JemyM

JemyM's Avatar
Okay, now roll sanity.

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,028
Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 09:04
Unlike all the other game to movie adaptations.
Prime Junta is offline

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,540

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 10:00
Well a few of them have been fun, in a B-movie kind of way.
GhanBuriGhan is offline

GhanBuriGhan

GhanBuriGhan's Avatar
Wose extraordinaire

#5

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,500

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 10:14
Same studio that's doing the Warcraft movie. Will be interesting, but I honestly doubt it'll be amazing.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 5,655
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 10:19
Good that they've finally understood what they should have been doing from the very begining instead of their ultra linear RPG's…
bemushroomed is offline

bemushroomed

bemushroomed's Avatar
outlander

#7

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 673

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 10:53
It was already a movie - but I guess removing the last bits of interaction might make a difference
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 11:11
Sounds good.
I´ve already heard that additional footage is in works as well, plus the upcoming discussions whether it is a PG movie or not will be no doubt very interesting.
DeepO is offline

DeepO

DeepO's Avatar
deep outside

#9

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Prague
Posts: 2,332

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 11:38
BioWare always pitched Mass Effect as 'Cinematic RPG experience'. It will be interesting to see how it gets translated onto the big screen. I can imagine the dazzling display of Biotic powers (and inevitable comparison with Force) along with grand representation of Citadel complete with walking Turians, Asari and the like.. very exciting indeed!

It seems unlikely they will use Commander Shepard storyline from games tho, as everyone is already familiar how that plays out (with slight variations). It might feature a different adventure of Shepard or use a different protagonist altogether. Considering the theoretically huge scope of ME universe, the possibilities are numerous for sure…
Aditya is offline

Aditya

Aditya's Avatar
Watchdog

#10

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 103

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 11:49
Originally Posted by bemushroomed View Post
Good that they've finally understood what they should have been doing from the very begining instead of their ultra linear RPG's…
Why is linear always a bad thing?
Thaurin is offline

Thaurin

SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,445

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 11:50
It might turn out to be decent, but nothing within Mass Effect provides material for a great science fiction movie. If they focus on the role of humanity in the universe, they might get some interesting plot elements out of this. I hope they stick to the retro-ness of the first part when it comes to music and costumes, and perhaps even add some grainy filter?
Grandor Dragon is offline

Grandor Dragon

Sentinel

#12

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 557

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 11:52
Has there ever been a good movie based on a computer game?
Lemonhead is offline

Lemonhead

Lemonhead's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 675

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 12:17
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
Why is linear always a bad thing?
It's bad if you prefer non-linear, which I do
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 12:27
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
Has there ever been a good movie based on a computer game?

Imo… no.

The first Resident Evil movie wasn't bad, and Silent Hill had its moments, but I wouldn't call them "good".
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,227

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 12:47
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
Why is linear always a bad thing?
If linear is what i'm after then i read a book or see a movie, its a much, much better experience than a linear game with b-story and b-characters. Hell, movies even have real people playing the characters and often has real-world images, its incredible! many books are even written by authors who actually can write and not some big headed game dev who happens to think he can write..
bemushroomed is offline

bemushroomed

bemushroomed's Avatar
outlander

#16

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 673

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 12:55
Yeah, I kinda agree with bemushroomed. Not that linear CRPGs can't be good, they just tend to give me a poor experience, because I feel controlled and I feel everything is out of my hands.

I don't like that, and I especially don't like that when I'm trying to roleplay a character in some way, because it removes a large part of what I - personally - consider roleplaying to be about. That's about exploring my character and ways to approach things, and I like to be able to do that without a developer's visible hand pointing me towards every step of the way.

Beyond that, dialogue trees in linear games are usually about picking between 2-3 responses that are all predefined according to the developer's idea of how I would want to respond.

Some developers are better at that, like Troika - and some are HORRIBLE at it, like Bioware. That has more to do with my idea of possible ways to react, and it obviously conflicts heavily with Bioware's ideas.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#17

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 13:17
Originally Posted by bemushroomed View Post
If linear is what i'm after then i read a book or see a movie, its a much, much better experience than a linear game with b-story and b-characters. Hell, movies even have real people playing the characters and often has real-world images, its incredible! many books are even written by authors who actually can write and not some big headed game dev who happens to think he can write..
I find that argument very strange. It's like saying that non-linear games *don't* have b-stories with b-characters written by big-headed devs. Or that linear games don't have any gameplay. It's perfectly fine if you prefer non-linear games, but that certainly doesn't mean they are intrinsically better in some way. Linear games are not only played for the story just as much as non-linear games are not just played for the story. Otherwise your argument would still put non-linear games in the dust compared to movies or books.

I, personally, like getting into a good story in a game better than a movie sometimes, because of the better connection I get with the plot and characters. It's more like reading a book than watching a movie, but not the same. There is some argument to be made that non-linear games have more in common with role-playing, but that, too, is an endless discussion. "What is role-playing?" is heard too much on any game forum.

There is more to even a linear game than just story.
Thaurin is offline

Thaurin

SasqWatch

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,445

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 13:24
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
I find that argument very strange. It's like saying that non-linear games *don't* have b-stories with b-characters written by big-headed devs. Or that linear games don't have any gameplay. It's perfectly fine if you prefer non-linear games, but that certainly doesn't mean they are intrinsically better in some way. Linear games are not only played for the story just as much as non-linear games are not just played for the story. Otherwise your argument would still put non-linear games in the dust compared to movies or books.

I, personally, like getting into a good story in a game better than a movie sometimes, because of the better connection I get with the plot and characters. It's more like reading a book than watching a movie, but not the same. There is some argument to be made that non-linear games have more in common with role-playing, but that, too, is an endless discussion. "What is role-playing?" is heard too much on any game forum.

There is more to even a linear game than just story.
I could be wrong, but I think this is about personal preference, and not us claiming they're objectively worse

Non-linear games tend to have even WORSE stories than linear games - so to me, that's not why I play them.

I need some kind of story to motivate me, though, but it doesn't really need to be great.

The reason I personally prefer non-linear games, is because I like the "game" aspects - and not the traditionally movie/book aspects of games.

I like the interaction with the world, and the freedom of exploration - and I adore the sensation that I exist in a beautiful immersive world, where I feel unrestricted by linear paths and hand-holding.

I despise knowing that games end once I get to the end of the very set path, because it takes me out of the experience. It makes me very aware of the limitations, and I find it much harder to motivate myself to "do well" or explore, because I know it will all end pretty soon, and I can't really influence WHEN it will end. So, the "virtual life" aspect of the game is almost entirely removed - and it happens to be one aspect I absolutely adore.

MMOs should be ideal then? No, because they're all about artificially extending content - and you can never really achieve anything without endlessly grinding boring crap. Stories are never dynamic and they never feel like I'm the one doing stuff.

The ideal would be an EVE-like fantasy CRPG - where the gameplay is actually fun, and not a huge business spreadsheet with a pretty backdrop.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

May 26th, 2010, 14:09
Who said that the movie has to be about only those things we played in the game? If it will contain a completely new story and if it's about some new characters within the Mass Effect universe, it could turn out pretty good.
Besides, who could say that any Asari as a lead role would suck?
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#20

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,388
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect - Movie Deal Signed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:09.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch