|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - Elder Scrolls Rumours

Default Bethesda Softworks - Elder Scrolls Rumours

June 7th, 2010, 17:38
Okay, that's it. I'll put "Younger Scrolls" into my next short story !

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 7th, 2010, 17:44
Originally Posted by RivianWitch View Post
Eh? The unique "alien" look is a large part of what made MW so great; it was unique and different, not the usual space futuristic fare, not the usual medieval tired worn-out setting, and not the same old tired post-nuclear apocolyptic setting either.

It was something that belonged only to itself. Even the backstory was like a weird breath of fresh air compared to the tired, generic same-old, same old "save the world fom an ancient evil" generic claptrap.
Indeed. The world looked different in an interesting way, and I don't know of any other cRPG that achieved anything similar. Plus, the "evil" boss seems actually to be a victim, and both of your main quest givers have dubious motives at best.

I guess that the final insult is that your success is responsible for the destruction of Morrowind. Well, if you believe how Bethesda chose to extend their history time line.

Turjan

Sentinel

June 7th, 2010, 20:51
Originally Posted by RivianWitch View Post
Eh? The unique "alien" look is a large part of what made MW so great; it was unique and different, not the usual space futuristic fare, not the usual medieval tired worn-out setting, and not the same old tired post-nuclear apocolyptic setting either.

It was something that belonged only to itself. Even the backstory was like a weird breath of fresh air compared to the tired, generic same-old, same old "save the world fom an ancient evil" generic claptrap.
I agree wholeheartedly.

More time passes the value of mw just keeps rising. I began replayng morrowind a while back (using few mods ofcourse) and it is an impressive game. It just magical how well everything connects together in that game. Culture, history, traditions, architechture, landscape, music score, quests… Its one of the most coherent gameworlds I've experienced. The vanilla game feels a bit static and npcs are wooden at times but if you implement few mods here and there, it becomes much better. The best thing is that everything is built and writen around main questline. The problems between great houses, new imperial rule vs old traditions, clash of religions, lost histories of dwarven. Its a trip of a lifetime.

Oblivion certainly improved gameplay mechanics (like how easily you can use magic with melee or the manual blocking and the new traps etc) and the the daily routines for npcs is a nice thing, but it feels so bland, generic and unintresting. Most of all i hate how every questline happens inside of it's own bubble. You could finish mainquest and it would have very little connection to the mages guild for example. Plus like you said it was a generic world saving tour.

Mw has it's share of meaningless errand quests but on the otherhand many quests have intresting backstories and they are connected to the main questline in some way. You can't become master in each faction either. Oblivion side quests aren't bad really (infact some of them are really fun) but scaling, handholding and other dumb features ruin the enjoyment, exploration and discovery. and the fact that there are no quest conflicts.

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

June 7th, 2010, 23:11
Crossing my fingers for TES Online

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

June 7th, 2010, 23:51
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Would you rather have that than ES V?

Personally, I don't like MMOs, so if that were the "surprise," I'd probably be disappointed.

I'm excited about a new ES. I hope they incorporated fan feedback.

Anderson

Consolized

June 8th, 2010, 00:04
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post

I'm crossing my fingers that it's *not* online.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 8th, 2010, 00:08
And my eyes, and toes, too.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

June 8th, 2010, 02:29
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm crossing my fingers that it's *not* online.
Ditto.

TES online would be the horror.

Turjan

Sentinel

June 8th, 2010, 03:14
I don't think having a TES online would be a horror, so long as it isn't TES5. A separate online game for those who'd like such is fine by me if it doesn't impact on the development of the SP series!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

June 8th, 2010, 04:34
My concern about TES Online is they would very likely reign in the modding capabilities that they provide currently. Maybe not but I dont see it being available online so they have additional incentive to drop the toolsets which frankly is 95% of what makes those games worth purchasing. They could go NWN type modding which would be cool but I doubt it.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

June 8th, 2010, 05:09
Once again, Bethesda Softworks and Zenimax online (the MMO branch) are separate studios. Even if there is a TESMMO, with no modding, pay-per-levelup and purple dwarves, it does not directly affect the development of TES V.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

June 8th, 2010, 07:20
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Once again, Bethesda Softworks and Zenimax online (the MMO branch) are separate studios. Even if there is a TESMMO, with no modding, pay-per-levelup and purple dwarves, it does not directly affect the development of TES V.
OK, point taken. One aspect I like to add in favor of a single player TES V is that bitching about Oblivion got incredibly boring after 4 years. I need a new target for my ridicule .

Turjan

Sentinel

June 8th, 2010, 07:59
Originally Posted by Turjan View Post
OK, point taken. One aspect I like to add in favor of a single player TES V is that bitching about Oblivion got incredibly boring after 4 years. I need a new target for my ridicule .
You are bound to get your moneys worth on that account, at least

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

June 8th, 2010, 10:02
Most likely nothing is coming at E3 anyway. Gstaff (Bethsofts community manager) denies it, at least: post
On the other hand the guys over there found out that "Skyrim" has been trademarked by Zenimax for computer games, strategy guides and swag…
Will it feature Skiing simulation? Let the debate begin!
Just go here: http://tess2.uspto.gov/
Do a new user form search, and search for "Skyrim" as Combined Word Mark
Last edited by GhanBuriGhan; June 8th, 2010 at 10:41.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

June 8th, 2010, 10:29
Most likely nothing is coming at E3 anyway. Gstaff (Bethsofts community manager) denies it, at least: post
On the other hand the guys over there found out that "Skyrim" has been trademarked by Zenimax for computer games, strategy guides and swag…
Will it feature Skiing simulation? Let the debate begin!
Just go here: http://tess2.uspto.gov/
and search for "Skyrim" as Combined Word Mark
To be honest, the two things don't contradict themselves.
Bethesda is most probably working on The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim, but won't announce it until they're very far with their work on it.
I guess, if they're not announcing it now, it'll be announced by the end of the year, or early 2011.

I'm not a bug, I'm a feature!

WorstUsernameEver

Sentinel

June 8th, 2010, 20:39
Aren't they funded by the same source? For example. if the parent spends all their money on the MMO development, there will be no $$$ for the TES V development.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - Elder Scrolls Rumours