|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Best antivirus for Windows 7?

Default Best antivirus for Windows 7?

June 4th, 2010, 08:49
I finally got around to installing my copy of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and now have a dual-boot rig with WinXP-Win7. Now I just need an antivirus program that's compatible with Windows 7.

So who do you think makes the best overall AV program for Windows 7?

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 4th, 2010, 10:42
Skipped AV in win7. Haven't regret this decision so far.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

June 4th, 2010, 11:25
Got the same OS.

Still using avast! (home edition) after GG's recommendation, it's working well enough for me.

Might go back to Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) some day to see if it's gotten any better. That one was very slow for me when downloading files in Firefox and I wasn't sure about MS' update cycle, but others didn't have any problems with it. What I liked most about it was that it was really, really quiet and stayed in the background.

I'd still like to recommend running Secunia PSI as well if you aren't already, and keep it running in the background, to know when there is insecure or out-of-date software on your computer.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Last edited by Arhu; June 4th, 2010 at 11:36.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

June 4th, 2010, 14:42
I'm just using the Microsoft antivirus. It's free and seems to be very light on the load (reason why I stopped using other commercial AVs, at one point or another they would bring the system down to a crawl)

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

June 4th, 2010, 19:54
NOD32 Antivirus 4.

Rills

Watchdog

June 4th, 2010, 20:07
My tests so far w/ MSE is good for basic users, noobs, techno-phobes - auto updates, seems to be low on resource usage, lets you allow/disallow files, and has a nice detection rate. It does it's thing in the background and leaves you alone. The scan function seems like it's a bit quicker now, but realistically I dont hold scan rate all that high on the priority list. It shouldnt get to that point. Nobody's perfect, stuff slips thru as attacks become more sophisticated, and you should have a firewall enabled to help, but still if youre catching things in a scan at a later time it's not doing it's job sufficiently at present imo.

As for the advanced users, people that can put up w/ some nagging n stuff I'm a steadfast Avira advocate, I think it's an excellent free product.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

June 4th, 2010, 20:50
Unless you're talking strictly free, the best AV program I have ever used is Kaspersky, hands down.

Icefire

Sentinel
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

June 4th, 2010, 22:29
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I didn't realize MSE was free. A friend of mine also offered me a copy of Avast!. I think I'm gonna try MSE first.

The best AV I ever used for Windows XP was Symantec Corporate Edition, but a new version of that would cost me around $100.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 16th, 2010, 21:56
Avast! works for me, but if you are running your windows with non-admin account, there isn't that big need for anti-virus software.

Just remember to turn off those extra modules from avast and put it to silent mode.

Ergonpandilus

The Guardian

July 6th, 2010, 18:14
Still using nothing other than Microsoft Security Essentials, and it seems to be doing a sufficient job by itself so far.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 4th, 2010, 11:47
I don't really know which one is the best for windows 7, but I do have found a website where they say about the best ten anitvirus software from 2010, I guess those work on windows 7 too.

proho

Traveler

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Best antivirus for Windows 7?