|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Elemental: War of Magic - Release Date and News Roundup

Default Elemental: War of Magic - Release Date and News Roundup

June 4th, 2010, 17:50
A flurry of Elemental stuff is out there, including news from a new Brad Wardell FAQ forum post that the targeted release date is August 24th (and he gets bonus points for the Ultima joke included in the post).
Other additions to the game include the fleshed-out roles of independent hero characters. While you start the game with a single wizard character and can later sire children who can become heroes under your banner, you can also find neutral heroes that wander the world until either you or one of your rival nations hires them, at which point they may bolster your nation as one of your vassals, potentially adding a miscellaneous bonus of some sort—scholar characters, for instance, increase the rate of your technology research, while wizards increase your overall magic spell power. Stardock frontman Brad Wardell was quick to point out that recruiting these heroes will be crucial to victory, particularly in the early game, in which you'll start with nothing more than your wizard hero in a completely barren world.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 4th, 2010, 17:50
24th August! Pretty fecking stoked about this one, even more excited than I have been about some of the RPG releases.

Starcraft 2 in July, Elemental in August, some serious strategy gaming to look forward to.

Benedict

SasqWatch

June 4th, 2010, 17:56
I'll be surprised if it actually makes that August date given the timeline thus far—-they really do want to get it right on all accounts and to do such almost always involves rolling with the unexpected and going over everything again and again.

I pre-ordered the digital way back when around the initial announcement time though, so I've no qualms with waiting however long it takes. There should be many years worth of life to the game——official and community based given the modding opportunities.

getter77

Sentinel

June 4th, 2010, 18:51
There's a interview with Brad Wardell at Gamasutra too, regarding a novel tie-in he's writing, with Random House providing the lore(!):

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2…ndom_House.php

Foreigner

SasqWatch

June 4th, 2010, 19:43
I loved the screenshot, I think they were using volumetric multi-minihyper shaders in anti-aliased conjuction with meta-dynamic shadows to simulate that fog of war.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

June 4th, 2010, 19:54
@wolfing-LMFAO You sounded almost like the king of graphic whores (Queen?) with that post!

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

June 4th, 2010, 19:55
Looks excellent. My only concern is that Elemental will lack the special charm Master of Macic had like GalCiv 2 - an excellent game - laked charm compared to Master of Orion/MoO II.

Originally Posted by magerette
I'm so tired of marketing hype, marketing slang, marketing priorities and general marketing BS that it tends to have the opposite effect on me. (Jaded is the word I'm looking for here.) I can't even read through a whole press release from any AAA title company without wanting to turn off my computer and learn to cross-stitch.

Amasius

Watcher

June 4th, 2010, 20:10
This one has not been on my radar, it is now. I love the handcrafted look of the artwork.

Santos

Ass-hat

June 4th, 2010, 21:09
I've been on the Beta team since last Oct. playing various builds. I've been playing a cloth map version with minimum graphics. The game mechanics have been constantly revised. It's like MOM but much better mechanics, micro-management is not required.

shaf

Watchdog

June 4th, 2010, 23:08
What is this game actually about ? And which kind of genre ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 4th, 2010, 23:22
GalCiv2 is one of _very_ few strategy games i've tried that i've actually liked a lot (its probably even on my top 10 list of best games on PC). So i'm really looking forward to this

I've tried the Civ games but i just can't stand them, i hate everything about them, the graphics, the interface and how they lack any form of charm.

bemushroomed

outlander

June 4th, 2010, 23:50
Originally Posted by bemushroomed View Post
I've tried the Civ games but i just can't stand them, i hate everything about them, the graphics, the interface and how they lack any form of charm.
Well, the original Civilisation had lots of charm, maybe you should try that.
To give you an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJu7c…eature=related

Originally Posted by magerette
I'm so tired of marketing hype, marketing slang, marketing priorities and general marketing BS that it tends to have the opposite effect on me. (Jaded is the word I'm looking for here.) I can't even read through a whole press release from any AAA title company without wanting to turn off my computer and learn to cross-stitch.

Amasius

Watcher

June 4th, 2010, 23:59
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post
I'll be surprised if it actually makes that August date given the timeline thus far—-they really do want to get it right on all accounts and to do such almost always involves rolling with the unexpected and going over everything again and again.

I pre-ordered the digital way back when around the initial announcement time though, so I've no qualms with waiting however long it takes. There should be many years worth of life to the game——official and community based given the modding opportunities.
This is what Brad says:
"The long, hard, scary time consuming feature is the AI. It’s the one feature that could delay the game beyond August 24th. If the game gets delayed, the alternative release is second week of February."

And for anyone wondering about how the graphics engine makes the game look in practice: http://www.screencast.com/users/drag…2-57ffd451c084

SveNitoR

Sentinel

June 5th, 2010, 00:17
Really looking forward to this one, especially after the chronic disappointment Disciples 3 seems to be. I needs me some turn-based goodness! (But I could care less if it takes longer.)

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

June 5th, 2010, 02:00
Could not be more excited. Well, about a game.

Yeesh

Hopeless Curmudgeon

June 5th, 2010, 02:07
Very excited for this game. I hope the next phase of beta starts soon.

Avoid the Crazy Chicken. It is childish. Don't do it. We beg you.

leth

Watchdog

June 5th, 2010, 07:18
Originally Posted by SveNitoR View Post
And for anyone wondering about how the graphics engine makes the game look in practice: http://www.screencast.com/users/drag…2-57ffd451c084
I like it, reminds me of Morrowind (color tones / setting)..

bemushroomed

outlander

June 5th, 2010, 09:02
Looks good, but I also worry it's going to suffer from the GalCiv curse of having no charm or without the subtle depth that SimTex mastered.

City building, for instance, looks quite simplistic and linear. I don't like that.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

June 5th, 2010, 09:03
Never heard of this game. Now i do!

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

June 5th, 2010, 10:58
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Looks good, but I also worry it's going to suffer from the GalCiv curse of having no charm
I really dont agree with that.. I thought it had a very personal and very geeky charm Didn't play GalCiv1 though, only 2..

bemushroomed

outlander

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Elemental: War of Magic - Release Date and News Roundup