|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » Tactica: Maiden of Faith » Can it get too complicated?

Default Can it get too complicated?

July 19th, 2010, 23:06
Story vs. game/role-play - i think this is the major issue facing RPGs today.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

September 7th, 2012, 21:25
There has to be a balance in Computer RPGs. A pen and paper system like RuneQuest for example is fantastic (easily one of the best 2 or 3 systems ever developed)…for pen and paper RPGs but if someone tried bringing that system to a CRPG, I am not sure how well that would work. Like it or not computer gamers, even those of us who are used to complex tabletop games, can quickly lose interest when creating each character can take an hour or so or when we cannot quickly decide which spell would be more beneficial in a given situation because it would require re-reading how the formulas are arrived at.

Fallout does a pretty good job in this regard. I would never want to play a pen and paper version of Fallout's "SPECIAL" system but for a CRPG it works very well and I can see why the developers opted to not go with the GURPS system they originally decided on.

"I am in a very peculiar business; I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James Randi

SkeleTony

Skeptic

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » Tactica: Maiden of Faith » Can it get too complicated?