|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age 2 - New Art Style and Interactive Map @ Game Informer

Default Dragon Age 2 - New Art Style and Interactive Map @ Game Informer

July 26th, 2010, 02:05
Senior Artist Matt Goldman comments on the new art style in Game Informer and how spell effects won't carry over to cutscenes. He also talks about cinematic inspiration, what the new narrative means to artists and more.
On the updated look for Dragon Age II:
Before, I think Origins was kind of like Death Dealer meets The Hobbit. It was half really “raah, scary” and half really whimsical. We wanted to take it into more of a desolate feel and kind of strip it down to a hot-rod Samurai look. Not only visually, but in terms of the actual storytelling motifs that appear in those movies. The cautionary tale was really appropriate for DA2.
On spell effects carrying over to cutscenes:
I personally argued against that a lot. There are various game reasons why [we did that]. It would be cumbersome to cast all of those spells again. But I think it really takes you out of the moment when you’re standing there, talking to a guy and he’s wrapped in glowing red plastic and there are flames shooting out of him and rocks falling on top of him. I absolutely agree that that needs to not happen.
The interactive map for Thedas,which has 10 must see locations on it, can be found here.
More information.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

July 26th, 2010, 02:05
The new art style and direction is FAIL, FAIL and oh yea FAIL!!!

imo

Roland

Watchdog

July 26th, 2010, 02:59
I gotta disagree.

First, i want change for this iteration. If I'm going to be stuck fighting truckloads of Darkspawn all over again, at least revamp them a little so it aint so samey. At first.

Secondly, I genuinely think the couple shots that I've seen so far look pretty cool. A little more artistic flair to it. Kinda looks Simon Bisley-ish in a way… I'm all for it

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

July 26th, 2010, 03:18
I'm familiar with Simon Bisley's work, especially in Heavy Metal, I don't see a resemblance at all here. More like a plain, plastic blend of Thundar and He-Man. The armor is atrocious and the entire look/style is like a bad cartoon.

This is miles behind the powerful, realistic graphics we had in Origins.

That's my opinion of course…all I can say is I hate it and I think it's a serious departure from what I believe a "Sequel" should of been.

Roland

Watchdog

July 26th, 2010, 11:11
Desolation and a more 'comic' (not meant in a bad way) art style scream something at me, and that's 'reduced graphical load'. If they want to increase the detail and/or size then to maintain the same performance without increasing hardware requirements then they have to go down this route.

I'm personally not a fan of desolate environments - give me Oblivion/Baldur's Gate any day - but if it means a gain somewhere else then I'm okay with one game in the series being like this I guess.

kalniel

SasqWatch

July 26th, 2010, 11:45
It reminds me from afar a bit of the style of Divinity 2.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 26th, 2010, 14:58
I actually prefer if the 'buffs' carry on to the cutscenes. They are on the character after all. If they are visible, then they should show, regardless if it's in or out of battle (unless they're temporary buffs that is)

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

July 26th, 2010, 21:11
Don't forget it is all about the mighty cinematic, now. God forbid that a spell effect interferes with the movie!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

July 27th, 2010, 06:34
lol, true Thrasher!

We havent seen enough of the thing yet, come on Bio - get that hype machine rolling full tilt already!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age 2 - New Art Style and Interactive Map @ Game Informer