|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Alpha Protocol - Sells 700k

Default Alpha Protocol - Sells 700k

July 31st, 2010, 00:32
Posters on the Alpha Protocol official board noticed some sales figures from recent Sega financial results. Here's a snip from an article at the Examiner:
Alpha Protocol was released for the PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 in Europe on May 28th and North America on June 1st. As of June 30th, the role-playing game has sold 700,000 units.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 31st, 2010, 00:33
Those number are better than i expected. I wonder if they take in to account the number of downloads. I remember a time when they didn't count those.

DarNoor

Sentinel

July 31st, 2010, 00:59
Yeah, that sounds like a respectable number to me. I guess they were aiming for a lot more.

moonmonster

Watcher

July 31st, 2010, 01:25
A positive surprise. The average sales price is probably quite low though.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

July 31st, 2010, 02:48
It probably isn't the entire amount since Steam and some other places don't report their numbers. I think that some of the download sites do report their numbers so it may count some online download distribution.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

July 31st, 2010, 04:26
This isn't NPD Fungroup guys, this is a financial statement. Steam doesn't publicize its sales but I'm pretty sure SEGA knows how many copies it sold via Steam, and thus puts it in their financial statement.

700K, plus taking into account how soon this game's price was lowered, is not nearly enough to recoup the investment SEGA made into Obsidian.

Brother None

SasqWatch

July 31st, 2010, 05:00
The game's price was lowered but wasn't it put right back up again? I paid $50 for it a couple of weeks ago and Steam is selling it for $50 right now.

(And now I'm on the verge of uninstalling the game simply because of the computer hack mini-game. I hate that mini-game!)

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

July 31st, 2010, 05:16
That hacking mini-game is really not hard to avoid. A tier one skill allows you to use EMPs to auto-win mini-games of all kinds.

Badesumofu

Sentinel

July 31st, 2010, 07:00
Remember though that 700k has been sold across three different platforms. Such is the power of dishonest reviewers these days. Funny how Alpha Protocol got flak for the same exact things that Bethesda and Bioware games are also guilty of. Only if you read the reviews for say Mass Effect 2 or Fallout 3 the paragraphs on crappy AI or bad animation are nowhere to be found.

tolknaz

Sentinel

July 31st, 2010, 09:10
<— waiting for a patch before deciding whether to buy the game or not.

coyote

Sentinel

July 31st, 2010, 09:18
Remember though that 700k has been sold across three different platforms.
Yeah for a multi-platform game in development so long…. that's not a good number at all.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

July 31st, 2010, 10:19
Originally Posted by tolknaz View Post
Remember though that 700k has been sold across three different platforms. Such is the power of dishonest reviewers these days. Funny how Alpha Protocol got flak for the same exact things that Bethesda and Bioware games are also guilty of. Only if you read the reviews for say Mass Effect 2 or Fallout 3 the paragraphs on crappy AI or bad animation are nowhere to be found.
Except that Alpha Protocol is guilty of plenty of more things than just crappy AI or bad animation. While ME2 and FO3 do some things bad, they both offer many gameplay elements vastly superior to AP. Where does AP shine, can you tell? The gameplay is close to broken, stealth and cover mechanics work arbitrarily, jerky mouse movement coupled with horrible hacking mini game, sub-par graphics, nonsensical timed dialogue mechanism…ugh. The only thing mildy good about AP is perhpas its writing and superficial C&C. Note that some reviewers whom you conveniently call 'dishonest' did in fact point out these 'good' points but I suppose that wasn't enough to satisfy blind fanboys. It is really not difficult to see how unpolished and buggy this game is within first 15 mins of playing.

Aditya

Watcher

July 31st, 2010, 10:28
Given the massive advertising campaign, that is pretty disastrous, I think. Not surprising of course given the reception.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

July 31st, 2010, 12:27
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The gameplay is close to broken..
Oh, please. Anti-fanboys are as bad as fanboys.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 31st, 2010, 13:03
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Except that Alpha Protocol is guilty of plenty of more things than just crappy AI or bad animation. While ME2 and FO3 do some things bad, they both offer many gameplay elements vastly superior to AP. Where does AP shine, can you tell? The gameplay is close to broken, stealth and cover mechanics work arbitrarily, jerky mouse movement coupled with horrible hacking mini game, sub-par graphics, nonsensical timed dialogue mechanism…ugh. The only thing mildy good about AP is perhpas its writing and superficial C&C. Note that some reviewers whom you conveniently call 'dishonest' did in fact point out these 'good' points but I suppose that wasn't enough to satisfy blind fanboys. It is really not difficult to see how unpolished and buggy this game is within first 15 mins of playing.
1. What exactly is broken about its gameplay? Granted it's mostly barebones stuff. Stealth is no Thief for example, but more close to Deus Ex if you could somehow remove retarded stuff like invisibility spells. It doesn't give you much feedback but it works surprisingly well if you've played other stealth games before.
2. Like Badesumofu said, hacking minigame is optional. And it is at least 10 times more entertaining than scanning the planets in Mass Effect 2 (which was pretty much NOT optional).
3. What exactly was subpar about the graphics?
4. Granted, i didn't like the fact that the dialogue was timed. Stance system however was a great deal more logical than the one in Mass Effect. Also dialogue was actually well written.

tolknaz

Sentinel

July 31st, 2010, 16:47
Gratz, Obsidian!

Hell, it would have been about 2 million had they let you guys actually finish the game.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

July 31st, 2010, 18:02
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Oh, please. Anti-fanboys are as bad as fanboys.
I'd like to emphasize that.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 31st, 2010, 18:48
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I'd like to emphasize that.
why don't we continue this quote defense of AP by inserting a defense of the original poster who has now been attacked twice for stating his opinion………AP sucked balls.

Thanks for listening.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

July 31st, 2010, 19:22
Who actually is AP ? I only know APP.

Edit : Oh, you mean the video game ? I didn't know that a video game could suck something, especially balls.

Maybe in 50 years, with what's called now "augmented reality" ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 31st, 2010, 20:02
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
700K, plus taking into account how soon this game's price was lowered, is not nearly enough to recoup the investment SEGA made into Obsidian.
AP is still $50 at all the retail stores that I've seen it at recently. Best Buy, Gamestop, Etc.

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Alpha Protocol - Sells 700k