|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Elemental: War of Magic - Almost Done, Preview @ Joystiq

Default Elemental: War of Magic - Almost Done, Preview @ Joystiq

August 14th, 2010, 12:05
Brad Wardell has kicked up a short journal entry on Elemental saying they are wrapping up the Gold version and moving on to the Day 0 patch:
We’re wrapping up work on the gold version of Elemental. Then it’s on to the day 0 version which is largely about polish, balance and tweaking.
…and Joystiq has a new preview:
Elemental is involving, to say the least. There are five different basic resources to collect (and a host of secondary resources that affect those), each character has an in-game Magic-style card with six D&D-style stats and multiple spellbooks to build up, and cities and units create even more number relationships to deal with. Combat takes place on a completely different tactical screen, where you control individual units, each with their own spells and abilities. Every unit can be named separately, be given its own armor and weapons, and you can recruit various named heroes wandering around the game's landscape, and either use them to complete quests, build your own empire, or fight against any of the game's other ten factions (five of Men, five of a group called the Fallen, though as Wardell says, "there are no Elves and Dwarves in this game").
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

Anyone played the beta ?

I wonder if it be worth purchasing ?

Also. Do you think there will be a demo ?

Twotricks

Sentinel

Almost overlooked this. Sounds really promising.

Barghest

SasqWatch

August 14th, 2010, 12:17
It's been my impression from the beta testers, that the game is nowhere near a finished state.

I guess Stardock has a completely different build internally.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 14th, 2010, 14:51
It seem to be the game is in a rush and dont get polished enough.They even dont decide how the tactical combat should work one month ago.

swapoer

Watcher

August 14th, 2010, 15:01
Thats very sad to hear

From what i seen so far it has such potential , especially with mods

Twotricks

Sentinel

August 14th, 2010, 19:15
Beta 4 (Build 0.98) has problems with ATI Video Cards, There is a huge memory leak that only allows you to play for a few turns. Luckily I was using a Nvidia card and didn't have the problem.
The Beta 4 was far more stable that earlier builds, it's a fairly playable right now though there are major optimizations in the 0 day release according to Brad.

I pre-paid for it a long time ago and have no regrets, it's like Civ it has that just 1 more turn feel to it. Start playing and then wonder where the hours went.
Last edited by shaf; August 14th, 2010 at 19:17. Reason: additional info.

shaf

Watchdog

August 14th, 2010, 19:22
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
It's been my impression from the beta testers, that the game is nowhere near a finished state.

I guess Stardock has a completely different build internally.
Thats not true, and yes I am beta testing it.

Have a look at this thread…what we didn't get was final art assets and stuff like that which is really a normal thing when developing a game.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/390719

rune_74

SasqWatch

August 14th, 2010, 19:53
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
Thats not true, and yes I am beta testing it.

Have a look at this thread…what we didn't get was final art assets and stuff like that which is really a normal thing when developing a game.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/390719
What isn't true? That several beta testers have expressed they don't feel it's ready?

Then I must have been dreaming, reading the QT3 thread.

I'm not a beta tester, so I wouldn't know - and if you think it's all ready, that's something.

I'll wait until it's released, before I make any kind of judgment call.

I'm quite interested in this game, so I'd love for it to be something like MoM - though I remain extremely sceptical.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 15th, 2010, 00:44
Based on my experience with the beta, and from following the development it's probably more polished already than a great majority of AAA titles that come out nowadays…

Keep in mind that while tactical combats may only have been relatively recently released to us, it is my understanding they have been testing it internally for much longer.

As for them having different builds than we do, it is indeed the case, they have mentionned so a few times. The game is now "Gold" but they are working on updates and what not still for day 0.

Can't say I'm really worried personally, maybe i'm optimistic, but I'm quite confident with stardock and with what i've seen and tested.

Galaad

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Galaad Send a message via Skype™ to Galaad

August 15th, 2010, 06:48
Not to mention that modding can change everything. Add more races , spell mastery, weapons. Change stats…. whatever

Twotricks

Sentinel

August 15th, 2010, 08:17
Got an advertisement e-mail by Stardock this night saying that the release will be August 24th.

coyote

Sentinel

August 15th, 2010, 09:43
Originally Posted by Twotricks View Post
Anyone played the beta ?

I wonder if it be worth purchasing ?

Also. Do you think there will be a demo ?
According to a developer's post I have read on official forum there should be a demo.

MrSanta78

Watcher

August 16th, 2010, 14:47
I've been following this game for a long time. I think at release it will be fully playable, but I expect it to come to its full potential about 1 to 3 months after release. This is not an RPG with a story that you play once and that's it. It's more like Civilization or Master of Magic, a game that you'll have in your hard drive for years, so that's perfectly ok. Also fully moddable. Definitely a keeper.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

August 16th, 2010, 14:54
I've been keeping an eye on this one because I loved MoM. I haven't pre-ordered though, something's still turning me off, the graphics perhaps, I don't really care for the art style.

I'm sure I'll buy it if the reviews are good though, if for no other reason that to support Stardock, one of the few "good guy" developers/publishers remaining.

LuckyCarbon

Unfettered Developer

August 20th, 2010, 16:06
Just read Wardell's explanation of their multiplayer implementation.

They just lost 5-6 sales…. Oh well.

One day, a decent MoM successor with proper multiplayer will be made.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Elemental: War of Magic - Almost Done, Preview @ Joystiq