|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Ubisoft - HoMM 6?

Default Ubisoft - HoMM 6?

August 17th, 2010, 04:47
Czech site Tiscali Games (via Blues) has revealed what looks like the imminent announcement of Heroes of Might & Magic 6. They have two screens and a brief teaser, plus Ubisoft has a teaser page here. Word is the announcement will be made at GamesCom in a couple of days.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 17th, 2010, 04:47
Maybe I'll even be interested if they drop their absurd DRM requirements.

Bedwyr

Sentinel

August 17th, 2010, 09:13
Whatever the antipirate system is il be playing this game. The easy or the hard way.
Without drm it will be an easy choice. Looking forward to this game!! Hope it deserves every eurocent.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

August 17th, 2010, 10:13
I played all homms from kings bounty up two years ago. Cant see what new this could possibly bring. Been there, done that etc.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

August 17th, 2010, 10:17
Well, they'll really have to do something fresh about the game now. HoMM 3 is one of my all time favourite games, it was brilliant in so many ways.

4 was too unfinished and unbalanced. 5 was just like a worse copy of 3, so I don't know what they should do with 6 to make something good.

+ the two kings bounty games got out, that'll be extremely hard to beat in single player….

I guess a good multi-player with online matchmaking will be the path they'll have to take….

I played all homms from kings bounty up two years ago
Did you play the two new kings bounty games? they're brilliant!

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

August 17th, 2010, 10:22
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
Did you play the two new kings bounty games? they're brilliant!
I have them both. I started the first one but got stuck by starting with too high difficulty. The game is promising but I didnt like the camera.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

August 17th, 2010, 10:36
I think you'll get past the camera, I also didn't like it at first but after having played through the first game ( on impossible as a warrior BTW ) I got used to it, and while I am playing through the sequal armoured princess ( it is a really long game ) I actually like the camera a lot.
Last edited by GothicGothicness; August 17th, 2010 at 13:37.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

August 17th, 2010, 12:38
It look just like a HOMM V pro,both in graphic and gameplay.
How disappointing!

swapoer

Watcher

August 17th, 2010, 12:55
Looking at the sceenshot I immediatly noticed one thing… the number of resources has been dramatically reduced, I know it's probably an early screen but this, if confirmed, is very alarming and could mean a dumbed down Heroes game (consoles?)… that would be depressing.

Apart from that it looks very similiar to HoMM V, I think that with HoMM V they focused too much on graphics and little on gameplay, so sticking with slightly improved visuals over V and spending more resources on gameplay and AI would be a smart move.
But if they dumb down the game… there's no hope.
Last edited by Francesco; August 17th, 2010 at 13:08.

Francesco

SasqWatch

August 17th, 2010, 13:39
Looking at the sceenshot I immediatly noticed one thing… the number of resources has been dramatically reduced, I know it's probably an early screen but this, if confirmed, is very alarming and could mean a dumbed down Heroes game (consoles?)… that would be depressing.
OOO, I didn't look close enough to see that. There is absolutely no reason I could think of to reduce the amount of resources except to dumb down the game for consoles One big part of the game was looking for a certain resource type!

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

August 17th, 2010, 13:40
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
The game is promising but I didnt like the camera.
I heard there is a fan-made patch that changes the camera a bit.

It's in this list : http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=5403

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 17th, 2010, 13:43
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
Apart from that it looks very similiar to HoMM V, I think that with HoMM V they focused too much on graphics and little on gameplay, so sticking with slightly improved visuals over V and spending more resources on gameplay and AI would be a smart move.
The focused on the graphics in 5?!? I picked it up on sale a few months ago because I had the itch, that game looked horrible, it did not age well. I don't remember the other HoMM games I played being actually painful to look at. One of those cases of loving drawn 2d sprites being a lot better to look at than crappy 3d I guess.

A dumbed down HoMM, that'd be sad! The only thing worse than that would be if someone made a dumbed down Baldur's Gate….oh wait….nm.

LuckyCarbon

Unfettered Developer

August 17th, 2010, 14:21
HoMM V was crap.

Slow and cumbersome, utterly wasted 3D engine, "serious" art style lacking any kind of charm, map was tiny, and they left out the best parts of HoMM IV - because they had no imagination except to emulate the 3rd game.

This looks like the same kind of thing, to me.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 17th, 2010, 14:58
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
"serious" art style lacking any kind of charm,
They call it "more mature".

D&G in turn-based strategy.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 17th, 2010, 15:35
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
They call it "more mature".

D&G in turn-based strategy.
Whatever they call it, half of what made HoMM work was the innocent charm and bright color scheme.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 17th, 2010, 16:00
Originally Posted by LuckyCarbon View Post
The focused on the graphics in 5?!? I picked it up on sale a few months ago because I had the itch, that game looked horrible, it did not age well. I don't remember the other HoMM games I played being actually painful to look at. One of those cases of loving drawn 2d sprites being a lot better to look at than crappy 3d I guess.
It actually looks good to me, it's a 2006 game man!
Please keep in mind that we are speaking of turn based strategy here, it's not easy to find TBS games with better visuals in my book, performance isn't that good though.
Anyway… I agree that quality drawn 2d sprites are better than crappy 3d.

Francesco

SasqWatch

August 17th, 2010, 20:03
King's Bounty is a decent title but lacking in the single most important feature present in HOMM series since Heroes of Might and Magic: A Strategic Quest.

Playing strategy games solely against AI is just silly.

wynams

Watchdog

August 18th, 2010, 01:54
I'm playing through HoMM V now, and not really seeing the value of all the different kinds of resources. Very rarely had to hunt for one particular kind. This is single player mind you… One could create maps and faction choices where it mattered more I suppose.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 18th, 2010, 02:00
I liked how Ubisoft blames pirates for poor sales, then punishes those who have the misfortune to buy their games with insane DRM viruses. And then the games, invariably, would struggle to be sub-par.

Wake me after Ubisoft joins 3D0 in bankruptcy and a legitimate company buys the MM franchise. If it's not too ruined by that point in time.

It was the night before Hogswatch…

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck

August 18th, 2010, 02:27
Ubi goes about as legit company, however not one knowns for it's strategy or PC titles. It goes for a no brainer that they have so obviously no idea on what to do with the franchise, the stupidest thing of all to rebrand HMM as Might & Magic Heroes 6 … Are they hoping that this might bring interest in some other MM effords that are not PC and TBS related ?

oh, and M&MHeroes 6 looks like the dumbed down cousin to the ugly step sister of the franchise, Heroes V.

Polyester

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Ubisoft - HoMM 6?