|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Arcania - Preorders on Steam

Default Arcania - Preorders on Steam

August 20th, 2010, 18:26
Arcania is now available on Steam for those that want to take a chance on Spellbound's upcoming Gothic entry.
Thanks Chekote!
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 20th, 2010, 18:26
And also Gamersgate and Impulse, for those who, like me, wouldn't deal with Steam if they were the last online store on Earth …

As a bonus, Gamersgate has a preorder offer of 15% off.
Last edited by Foreigner; August 20th, 2010 at 18:29. Reason: Spelling! & more info…

Foreigner

SasqWatch

August 20th, 2010, 19:33
Originally Posted by Foreigner View Post
And also Gamersgate and Impulse, for those who, like me, wouldn't deal with Steam if they were the last online store on Earth

What is your issue with steam ?

Twotricks

Sentinel

August 20th, 2010, 22:22
Originally Posted by Twotricks View Post
What is your issue with steam ?
Nothing, apart from the fact buying from them means all your games are tied to their DRM system, which means if their servers are borked, or they take a dislike to you for any reason, or your account gets hacked, or they sell out to a more repressive company, your complete Steam selection becomes unplayable; not to mention, they expect you to call home every few days, even in offline mode, and their client insists on being invoked when you start up a game and forces updates on you whether you like it or not.

In other words, for me, Steam is about the worst option to buy from, with the possible exception of Ubisoft. So over the last couple of years I've been happily saving hundreds of Euros/Dollars/Pounds avoiding these guys, and instead supporting Indies like Heroic Fantasy Games, Spiderweb, Classic Games Remade, Soldak, Cryptic Comet, Shrapnel, Matrix, and Positech (these off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others) who appreciate paying customers and reward them by not treating them worse than pirates.

Frankly, if Steam customers want to their games to keep them like a dog on a leash, more power to them; but when announcements get made that X game is available on Steam and makes no mention of more customer-friendly outlets, as if Steam is the only possible or even best option, then I get slightly, ahem, steamed.

Foreigner

SasqWatch

August 20th, 2010, 23:43
For those darkspawn who like steam anyway , you can currently get Gothic 3 for free if you preorder.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

August 21st, 2010, 00:12
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
For those darkspawn who like steam anyway , you can currently get Gothic 3 for free if you preorder.
Well, that's how they lure you onto the slippery slope

Luckily for me, I have about 3 copies of Gothic III already, on disc and downloaded from various sources, so I'll take the 15% and hope Arcania doesn't take a fall right out of the gate like that particular game.

In fact, it's just occurred to me: isn't drawing attention to Arcania's pedigree a bit counter-productive in this case? Especially with JoWood not being in particularly good health at this time.

Foreigner

SasqWatch

August 21st, 2010, 01:23
And also Gamersgate and Impulse, for those who, like me, wouldn't deal with Steam if they were the last online store on Earth

Links:
Arcania Gamersgate
Arcania Impulse

I cannot be bothered looking at D2D as their autorun videos annoy me and their menus and search weren't working.

Zygo

Watchdog

August 21st, 2010, 01:49
<<< Phears preorders

Though 15% off…. nah, not enough. I want to see reviews first.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

August 21st, 2010, 03:24
I used steam to purchase Risen and I too will never use steam again. They have ZERO customer service. So they got one sale out of me but that's it for me for life.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

August 21st, 2010, 03:46
I have…dunno…50? games on Steam. Anyway, waiting for reviews on this one.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 21st, 2010, 05:14

Heh thanks, good thing it's available on sites other than steam. Only if gaming "journalists" bothered researching and "reporting" such stuff..

ortucis

August 21st, 2010, 08:36
Only if it's good am I'm willing to pay more than $20. A bad game isn't worth much at all, so this discount isn't very tempting.

Daroou

Sentinel

August 21st, 2010, 10:34
Pre-ordering this game?

When hell freezes over, perhaps

Also, Steam is - by far - the most expensive digital distributor, if you're european. Not counting their discount offers, naturally.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 21st, 2010, 11:31
this DL bullshit is expensive as hell!

check this out!

http://www.shopto.net/PC/NEW%20RELEA…l?currency=GBP

i dont like bioware games

turian

Sentinel

August 21st, 2010, 11:46
Originally Posted by ortucis View Post
Heh thanks, good thing it's available on sites other than steam. Only if gaming "journalists" bothered researching and "reporting" such stuff..
Is that directed at me? I'm not a journalist, or even a "journalist". Why don't you donate some time so I don't have to waste mine on people like you?

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 21st, 2010, 12:15
Could you be any less grateful for people spending their free time informing, to the best of their ability?

Think before making your statements, please.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 21st, 2010, 19:24
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Is that directed at me? I'm not a journalist, or even a "journalist". Why don't you donate some time so I don't have to waste mine on people like you?
Did it say "Dhruin" anywhere in my post? Or did you see my quote your post as a reply?

Also, "wasting time on people like you", haha, good one. Do you really think you can't get generic CnP game news on countless other sites out there? Don't assume this site is a first stop for everyone and like most of us don't get site feeds from countless other gaming sites. I'd "donate" my time but that will happen when other sites stopped caring about the same PR release you usually post. So..

@DArtagnan
Yeah, that's a good advice. Maybe try thinking before being someone's hero next time.

ortucis

August 21st, 2010, 20:03
Did it say "Dhruin" anywhere in my post? Or did you see my quote your post as a reply?
To be fair, when I read your original post, I did not conclude you were aiming this at Dhruin, although I can see how Dhruin and perhaps others on this board could see the implication based on how you wrote your post.

Everyone here has to remember this site is really a 'gamers' site with news updates provided by people donating their time for the love of the RPG genere. It's why we don't see too many adds (just 1 add really) and other annoying crap all over the screen.

This type of RPG site is rare on the net and I'm thankful to everyone who makes it happen. Thanks Dhruin and everyone else involved.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

August 21st, 2010, 20:31
"or they take a dislike to you for any reason, or your account gets hacked'

Unless you do something bad to cause that to happen it won't. Also, don't use a lame password nor the same id/pass as the forums.

"or they sell out to a more repressive company"

Its valve. They don't need to.

"expect you to call home every few days"

Don't have it auto-start.

"updates"

Last time and every time I checked, updates are good.

"I've been happily saving hundreds of Euros/Dollars/Pounds avoiding these guys"

I've been saving hundred of dollars by using steam and buying at 50-75% off.

northreign

SkyPirate

August 21st, 2010, 22:03
Valve/Steam gave away … what's the word ? vouchers ? coupons ? for "a free game, and one for your friend" at the GamesCom. I think I'll use it.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Arcania - Preorders on Steam