|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » EVE Online - ….Uhmm WTH?

Default EVE Online - ….Uhmm WTH?

March 15th, 2008, 16:03
Hey guys,

After getting over WoW back in May 2007 I have never touched another MMORG. Sworn off the crack and all that.

Then I decided to try EVE Online the other night for a number of reasons that aren't terribly relevant or important.

What does seem to be important is that there was a major system patch this week for EVE. Or maybe that's not important. Not sure.

End result, I dl and install the thing, it gets patched up, etc.. Drivers up to date. So I'm keen and swear to myself I am going to struggle through this breaking wave learning curve that is EVE. Last night, it's Friday and I'm home, supper over and I've got the night booked off for some fun. Ice cold diet pepsi frosting the glass, fresh pack of smokes, clean desk. I'm totally psyched.

I sat down and tried to play EVE Online for the first time. And I do mean tried to play - as opposed to much actual playing. Never mind the learning curve - that's another post - let's just get to the "tried to play" part.

This thing crashed to system reboot on me FIVE (5) times in the space of 3 hours. I've had bad stuff CTD before - and get a sound byte repeat and lock. But never, ever, ever, have I had a program of any kind crash to reboot on me FIVE times in a night under Windows XP.

So…I can beat around the bush or ask outright: WTF is up with this? Is this standard operating procedure for EVE Online? Or is this simply exceptionally bad timing on my part to try a new MMO at the same time as The Patch from Hell is slouching itself along the road to Bethlehem?

.Robert
General Manager, roXidy Games Inc.

Steel_Wind

General Manager

March 15th, 2008, 16:19
Stick with WOW dude!!!

The Wanderer

in paths untrodden
RPGWatch Donor

March 15th, 2008, 19:59
Originally Posted by Steel_Wind View Post
Or is this simply exceptionally bad timing on my part to try a new MMO at the same time as The Patch from Hell is slouching itself along the road to Bethlehem?
According to this, it looks like bad timing.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 15th, 2008, 20:12
I've only played the 14 day trail of EVE and that was before Trinity. Client was solid though.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

March 15th, 2008, 23:20
Played EVE for a while, game was one of the most stable out there as far as I could tell…So its bad timing im guessing.

Galaad

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Galaad Send a message via Skype™ to Galaad

March 16th, 2008, 21:19
Your hardware's up to the task, right, Steel_Wind? Just thought I'd throw that out because I've had problems like that, too, with lots of games. I have a Q6600 CPU and an 8600GT video card that should easily handle most games, but even Runescape seems to pwn my system a bit more often than I would like. Even though it seems that hardware shouldn't be a problem, who knows anymore?

Trollsbane

Traveler

March 16th, 2008, 21:54
I think Eve Online is a solid, fantastic MMORPG. It has a big learning curve because it is very different from most other games. The only game that has many similarities is the single player Freelancer.

Definitely bad timing for you… I played Eve Online for about a year or so… I still sometimes reactivate my account and play for a few weeks before I get too busy and end up stopping again. Eve Online, for me, is one of those reliable, easy to appreciate, games that I find myself quitting and returning to over and over again.

It's like to a good movie that you might find yourself watching and enjoying once or twice every year. It might get old after a bit, but the urge to see it again seems to return with the passing of time.

Add me to your friends list on Steam! My name there is: [GoE]SirDeity
Piranha Bytes' Loyal Fan, SirDeity

SirDeity

Watchdog

March 17th, 2008, 00:03
I am playin EVE right now with no problems. Though my computer rarely crashes.

— this just in: I am probably not as retarded as previously assumed!

Ammon777

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » EVE Online - ….Uhmm WTH?