|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » DraSa: Phileasson's Secret - Poor GameStar Review

Default DraSa: Phileasson's Secret - Poor GameStar Review

August 24th, 2010, 18:07
Sir_Brennus points out the first review of Drakensang: Phileasson's Secret that we've come across, with GameStar handing down a low 55%. The article is German, of course, but a quick Google translation yields a summary that says the addon achieves "no semblance of the quality of the original game".
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 24th, 2010, 18:07
Ouch. I guess I will wait until a friend of mine played it and check his opinion.

Grandor Dragon

SasqWatch

August 24th, 2010, 18:20
Some details. The new city offers nothing except nice textures in an ancient egyptian style. The city consists of very few locations, has no sidequests, and one trader who has nothing interesting to offer.

The plot is described as confusing. Most of the game consists of repetitive combat., the new enemies do not feel inspired.

Music and voice acting are described as very satisfying.

This sounds very bad, and if the review trurns out to be accurate, this would mean that Radon Labs' problems very likely had a severe impact on the project. The sad thing is that Philaesson's Secret is probably the last real Drakensang RPG. Who knows what Bigpoint will do with the franchise.

Grandor Dragon

SasqWatch

August 24th, 2010, 19:21
As I understand the reviews it would be okay as a 10 EUR DLC.

Sounds like Radon Labs had to more or less cancel the project.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

August 24th, 2010, 19:48
Yep, for a "Full-Price"-AddOn it's certainly to short.

The Germans are a cruel race. Their operas last for six hours and they have no word for "fluffy".

Captain Blackadder

Fenris

Proto-Nerd

August 24th, 2010, 19:55
shit - I already bought it

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

August 24th, 2010, 21:52
Originally Posted by Grandor Dragon View Post
The plot is described as confusing.
This is because the reviewers don't know too much about Aventurian history, I assume.

I'll buy it anyway, but unfortunately I can't afford it right now.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 24th, 2010, 22:23
I don't know, Alrik - there is also a lot of disappointment in the official forums. Looks like I will pass.

Grandor Dragon

SasqWatch

August 24th, 2010, 22:28
Yes, I'm reading the forum.

But I want the story to be finished, no matter what.

To me as an author, there's nothing or at least few worse than an unfinished story/ending.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 24th, 2010, 23:05
The whole German DSA P&P scene seems to fall apart. An editor at Ulisses was fired, 4 others left because they don't like the business path pursued by the publisher, Alveran stops reporting news.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

August 25th, 2010, 10:00
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Sounds like Radon Labs had to more or less cancel the project.
I don't like to say it but it sure looks like Radon Labs did not get to finish this addon. It reeks of being rushed out the door as soon as Radon Labs got in financial troubles.
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
This is because the reviewers don't know too much about Aventurian history, I assume.
Knowing about Aventurian history does not help as Phileassons Secret disregards plenty of it and the entire plot is based on a retcon. So even if you know, you'll still be confused. It also completely gets Phileasson wrong (e.g. Phileasson talks like a Middenrealmian noble and not like a Thorwalian. In the P&P game Phileasson is notorious for breaking propper etiquette due to this).
The whole German DSA P&P scene seems to fall apart.
No just some fanboys crying.
An editor at Ulisses was fired,
No, the guy was a freelancer who was informed that the publisher is not going to have him work on the game anymore, due to the fulltime editors requesting it. Even though the reason for this was not made public, it sounds like creative differences.
4 others left, because they don't like the business path pursued by the publisher
No 2 other freelance editors and 2 freelance authors left because they are close friends of the above ex-freelance-editor.
Alveran stops reporting news
Thats because Alveran is, and has always been run by the above ex-freelance-editor.

noctrun

Watcher

August 25th, 2010, 11:15
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
shit - I already bought it
Same here. But I don't really care. Firstly, I think I just want to play this to complete the Drakensang series and secondly even if it sucks really, really bad, well, then I'll just consider my EUR 21.98 as a good-bye gift to Radon Labs for bringing us two awesome DSA games .

Moriendor

Spielkind

August 25th, 2010, 12:02
@Noctrun : A retcon ? well, there *are* a few things deeply buried within Wiki Aventurica … For example this item was long there before the Add-On was even thought of : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/index.php?title=Kazak Only that this entry is commonly not very much known.

But since I've not played the game yet, I of course can't say too much abouut it.

@Gorath: Noctrun is basically right about that Alveran stuff. As far as I can see it.
It isn't pretty nevertheless.

Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
and secondly even if it sucks really, really bad, well, then I'll just consider my EUR 21.98 as a good-bye gift to Radon Labs for bringing us two awesome DSA games .
That's also the way I'm thinking.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 25th, 2010, 13:46
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
@Noctrun : A retcon ? well, there *are* a few things deeply buried within Wiki Aventurica For example this item was long there before the Add-On was even thought of : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/index.php?title=Kazak Only that this entry is commonly not very much known.

But since I've not played the game yet, I of course can't say too much abouut it.
Well, I know about it from the old Phileasson P&P campaign and it is a retcon:
Spoiler

noctrun

Watcher

August 25th, 2010, 16:14
Okay … thanks.

I already knew there would be a "Globule", but never having read the Campaign, I had to deduce several things from out of discussions, other publications etc. …

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » DraSa: Phileasson's Secret - Poor GameStar Review