|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Scars of War - I don't want to be the girl

Default Scars of War - I don't want to be the girl

September 16th, 2010, 15:58
This is the first update to the Scars of War blog for a while, or I've missed them. This one is an explanation of (the lack of) gender differences for characters in the game:
Which brings us back to SoW. You’ve probably figured out where I’m going with this. There aren’t any real differences between the genders in SoW, beyond the cosmetic. Not in the character system. This is not to say that sexism doesn’t exist in the world of Scars of War, that it’s some homogenized, politically-correct fantasy world. There is sexism and rape and a whole host of suitably nasty things. But there won’t be anything like ‘Males get +2 Strength, Females get +2 to Charisma’ or whatever in the character system. There will be nothing that says to a woman who plays SoW ‘hmmm, you want to be a warrior eh? Well, better play a man then…’. If she wants to be Shannon the Barbarian, so be it.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

September 16th, 2010, 15:58
I like the part right after the quote in the OP:

It’s not realistic, I know. But then, I don’t really give a shit about realism. Only about whether SoW is an enjoyable game. I don’t really think adding slight gender bonuses to the game makes it much better for most players, and hopefully it’ll help (some) female gamers to feel less like playing their own gender is ‘second best’, even in a game.

Games is an escape to me, and I think it should be a possible escape from everyday drudgery to anyone who wants it. Games are stereoptypical enough without game mechanics reinforcing it even more.

SveNitoR

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Scars of War - I don't want to be the girl