|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deathspank - Coming to Steam

Default Deathspank - Coming to Steam

October 6th, 2010, 22:48
There will be a PC version of Deathspank, with the humorous hack'n'slasher coming to Steam on October 27th. It isn't clear to me if this includes both parts but doubtless more information will be along in due course.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 6th, 2010, 22:48
At last EA gave up their idiotic stubborness and decide to release it to the platform where it always should be. Good news indeed and a surprise for me.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch

October 6th, 2010, 23:24
The question is whether this will be a bad port. For example, if it doesn't allow you to control Deathspank using the mouse (like Diablo), playing this game on PC will feel very unnatural.

Barbarian

Traveler

October 7th, 2010, 03:30
Given the design of the game, it might feel more unnatural with a mouse. In addition to the scrolling world, the gameplay relies on having four weapons equipped at once. They'd have to either put two on the mouse buttons and two on the keyboard or perhaps use a toggle to select which two weapons are tied to the mouse buttons. Either way, it seems like it would play better with just the keyboard or a gamepad.

Zborno

Watcher

October 7th, 2010, 03:54
Hope you guys enjoy it. I enjoyed it a lot at first myself, but I grew tired of it after a few hours, as I usually do with hack & slash type games. It has a nice art style, that's for sure.

Anderson

Consolized

October 7th, 2010, 16:34
Originally Posted by Zborno View Post
Given the design of the game, it might feel more unnatural with a mouse. In addition to the scrolling world, the gameplay relies on having four weapons equipped at once. They'd have to either put two on the mouse buttons and two on the keyboard or perhaps use a toggle to select which two weapons are tied to the mouse buttons. Either way, it seems like it would play better with just the keyboard or a gamepad.
Good point. Still, I wonder if PC gamers will resist playing this type of game without a "click-to-move" interface.

Barbarian

Traveler

October 7th, 2010, 17:37
I'm resisting this game because of the reviews for it. I was excited when I heard that Ron Gilbert was doing this, but it doesn't sound like something that would interest me. Toilet humor stopped being funny around the third grade.

Eurogamer Review:

It's perhaps a bit more base than people might expect, coming from Ron Gilbert. Monkey Island was irreverent, and often less than conceptual in its humour, but it never really resorted to full-on toilet antics. Conversely, DeathSpank revels in the smuttiness of its approach, and it's this which seems likely to divide its potential audience.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

October 7th, 2010, 21:03
Yeah, the humor isn't what I'd call sophisticated or subtle.

Anderson

Consolized

October 7th, 2010, 21:06
If there's a demo, I'll try it, but I can't say I'm jumping for joy.

Dwagginz

Tea Addict

October 8th, 2010, 15:15
Hack & Slash doesnt register in my brain.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

October 8th, 2010, 19:20
Now if only Tim Schafer would come back to the PC. I hope Gilbert's joining Double Fine doesn't mean less Gilbert on PC (although I agree with the commenters above that I hope the humor is MI-licious and not eye-rollingly crude).

Guhndahb

Sentinel

October 8th, 2010, 19:31
I wouldn't describe the humor as predominantly toilet. It's mostly just silly adolescent stuff. Not particularly clever or hilarious, but it's not constant fart and poop jokes, either.

Anderson

Consolized

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deathspank - Coming to Steam