|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Interview @ IGN

Default Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Interview @ IGN

October 7th, 2010, 13:35
Deus Ex: HR Art Director Jonathan Jacques-Belletête chats with IGN UK in a conversation that largely centres on why they chose to keep the depth of Deus Ex, instead of streamlining:
IGN: I keep thinking back to Bioware, and how with Dragon Age and Mass Effect they're gradually stripping away the less intuitive elements.

JJB: Yeah… I'm not gonna tell you what I really think of them doing that. But there's always a way to make something rather complicated work well. Our game director is a pragmatic, no-bullshit kind of guy and I'm really lucky to be working with him… one of his main skills is to ask what the reason is for something, and then make it usable and understandable.

And that's what design is! Whether it's game design, graphic design, industrial design, it's the perfect marriage of complexity and usability. If you have a graphic interface that looks beautiful but nobody understands what it is or how to use it, or if an industrial designer makes a beautiful chair that hurts your back when you sit in it, that's bad design. There's always a way to make something work.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 7th, 2010, 13:35
IGN: I keep thinking back to Bioware, and how with Dragon Age and Mass Effect they're gradually stripping away the less intuitive elements.

JJB: Yeah… I'm not gonna tell you what I really think of them doing that.
This is really interesting. Who would have though that IGN would have realized that Bioware was, well, dumbing down its games, especially with the review score they gave to those titles…

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

October 7th, 2010, 19:22
Well, I think it might have something to do with the question who the person who is asking.

Perhaps there are different opinions among the staff ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

October 7th, 2010, 23:13
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Well, I think it might have something to do with the question who the person who is asking.

Perhaps there are different opinions among the staff ?
Probably, but at the same time…it's a weird comment coming from one of IGN staff, they usually are all over BioWare amazing "improvements".

Although, that's somebody from the UK, now that I look at the page…hmmm.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Interview @ IGN