|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Two Worlds II - Review @ GamingXP

Default Two Worlds II - Review @ GamingXP

October 30th, 2010, 23:27
Inside Two Worlds points out a review of Two Worlds II at German site GamingXP. The score is an impressive 90% and the "cons" listed seem fairly minor (although "weaknesses of Two Worlds not completely eradicated" is rather vague).
Read the original here in German, the Google translation here or Inside Two Worlds summary.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 30th, 2010, 23:27
Excellent news! Though the 'Christmas hit of 2010' made me sad, since I won't get to see it until later.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

October 31st, 2010, 01:37
They say:
* 300 quests
* 70 hours gameplay
* if your behaving is too bad the city bounty hunters will chase you
* you can decompose your gear and craft new/enhance things
* cool combat system (more tactical than TW 1)
* good magic system
* use the environment in combat (-> barrels …)
* nice atmosphere due to many ambience sounds/ background conversations
* very good speakers (all text of the hero has full voice overs)
* interesting mini games for lock picking and game of dice
* riding and transporters for fast traveling in the huge (AND very detailed!) world
* good gfx and sound

-> I'm interested

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken
Last edited by HiddenX; October 31st, 2010 at 01:54.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

October 31st, 2010, 01:47
Im interested in this game but this one worries me on th negatives

"Initially very linear"

If its just the intro story fine, but TW was very wide open sand boxy and that's what I like in these games.

Saxon1974

Sentinel

October 31st, 2010, 02:15
Intially should mean just the begining / intro story..

anyone heard anything about how the NPC's acts, if they work/sleep etc like in Gothic's and Oblivion? I'm guessing no..

It's gonna be interesting to see exacly how detailed they've manged to make it, since its a very big world..

bemushroomed

outlander

October 31st, 2010, 02:16
From what I could extract from the translation, this game sounds pretty good. The magic system especially sounded interesting - it sounds like you kind of fashion your own spells by choosing an element, and then shaping it to produce different effects (rays, bullets, cones etc). The combat also sounded pretty good.

I'll look forward to this one in the new year.

Badesumofu

SasqWatch

October 31st, 2010, 05:34
90%!!!! I've been avoiding anything to do with this game because TW 1 was such a disappointment, but I keep reading good things about this game. This one might just go on my must buy list.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

October 31st, 2010, 07:08
It's definitely moving up my list. I actually enjoyed the original and gave it a fairly positive review!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

October 31st, 2010, 08:02
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
It's definitely moving up my list. I actually enjoyed the original and gave it a fairly positive review!!
Yeah, TW1 was all right, I spend about 40h playing the game and that's actually quite good. I have already preordered TW2 so I hope I can play it next week (Nov 9th is the release date in Germany if I'm not mistaken).

Roi Danton

Sentinel

October 31st, 2010, 08:07
Ten pages and still little comment on the actual content. You guys are nuts giving the original a pass - I'll wait for a review that actually looks at the content.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 31st, 2010, 08:59
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
You guys are nuts giving the original a pass .

I think that's because many of them probably paid bargain bin price for it. I was satisfied with my collector's edition that I paid $25 for.

Not an above average crpg, that's for sure. Not terrible at a discounted price though…

JDR13

SasqWatch

October 31st, 2010, 09:21
I'm still a little undecided about TW2 - I hated the first game, then it became fun, then I got very tired of it again (after about 40-50 hours). There are certain things I didn't like (esp the fact that some magic felt inherently weak - I invested a lot on fire magic, for example, but many creatures seemed to take very little damage from this, or could soak up 3000 points of of damage without twitching!?) I hope they fix those stat numbers - 3000 anything is just stupid. Summons seemed very weak - again, as a fire mage (in part) I had some quite 'strong' summons, they were of very little use in combat. Contrast to Oblivion, where even lower levels summons could be quite strong, and if you summoned a higher level one (via a scroll), well they'd just decimate your enemies. I really, really, really, hope they improved the magic system. I also only purchased this when it hit the bargain bin. If this game has a demo coming out, I;d like to try that first - although based on the demo,l I initially refused to but TW1 ;-)
Speaking of demos…I wished I'd played one for The Force Unleashed 2… what a load of bollocks! Force gripping tie fighters, stupid platformy jumping games which are ONLY suited to a console controller….I didn't play the first one and had been expecting something like Jedi Knights 2. ugh

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

October 31st, 2010, 10:56
I paid $5 bucks for the original and had fun playing despite it flaws.Looking forward to 2011 game lineup.As for Force Unleashed 2 the game is terrible nothing like the first.The cinematics are fine till you realize the game is a jumping game like the above poster stated.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

October 31st, 2010, 12:11
Two Worlds was the most empty world I've ever had the misfortune to play around in. I'm with Dhruin on this, I have no idea why you guys like it so much. It's worse than Oblivion. At least in Oblivion you have some books to read. In TW there was nothing.

I'm still pissed about the north. They have this huge area up there filled with snow and there is absolutely nothing there. A camp and …..a mushroom maybe and that's it. I wasted more time just running around doing nothing in that game.

That's why I'm surprised by all this talk about Two Worlds 2. Maybe they learned from their mistakes. If so I'll buy it, but not before I read many more reviews for this thing.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

October 31st, 2010, 12:47
I never finished TW1. The game engine was good. Everything else mediocre. The team behind two worlds is Reality Pump. TW1 was their first attempt to create a complex crpg, they tried to copy elements from Gothic, Morrowind.
I liked their attempts to fix TW1 with many patches. This shows they are commited to learn and to help their customers.
I hope they haved learned their lessons and TW2 is a better crpg than TW1 was.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

October 31st, 2010, 14:38
Looks promising. Got a preorder by me, and will be out 11.nov. in my country.

hishadow

Level N+1

October 31st, 2010, 17:44
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
. . . You guys are nuts giving the original a pass -
And I'l say you're nuts for not looking at the game for what it was. Simply a nice RPG with some issues. I bought the game when it first came out and of all the RPG games I got around that time ( Heretic, Legend-Hand of God, Rise of the Argonauts, Avancast, Hard to be a God), it was far and away the best of that lot. Two Words broke a bad CRPG streak for me.

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

October 31st, 2010, 18:18
Originally Posted by Dajjer View Post
And I'l say you're nuts for not looking at the game for what it was. Simply a nice RPG with some issues. I bought the game when it first came out and of all the RPG games I got around that time ( Heretic, Legend-Hand of God, Rise of the Argonauts, Avancast, Hard to be a God), it was far and away the best of that lot. Two Words broke a bad CRPG streak for me.
Is there some kind of strategy behind that? Play the really shitty RPGs to be able to enjoy the just regular shitty ones?

And I agree with Dhruin with regard to the reaction to this review. I don't get why TW2 is getting some kind of special treatment here from people who are usually at least pretending to be critical. If this would be a [fill in one of the usual hate subjects like EA or JoWooD] game then the reaction to this review would have been completely different with accusations of bribery and pointing out that early console reviews are about as trustworthy as Bill Clinton in marital matters. Definitely makes one wonder why TW(2) is being given a free pass. Weird.

Moriendor

Spielkind

October 31st, 2010, 18:29
The fist one was good, people are expecting a better game than the first and i'm very sure it will be after reading numerous previews, interviews and now reviews..

And yes, the first one wasnt perfect, like every RPG in existence so far it has its weaknesses. For me it's a better game than any recent Bioware game, the Witcher or any other boring linear RPG that doesnt allow you to explore like a true (imo) RPG should..

bemushroomed

outlander

November 1st, 2010, 04:04
If you thought TW was empty, you obviously never played a certain game with the initials DL!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Two Worlds II - Review @ GamingXP