|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Gothic 3 » Gothic 1/2 » [Mod] Vurt's Gothic II Texture Pack

Default [Mod] Vurt's Gothic II Texture Pack

May 15th, 2012, 19:56
Just let us know when it's ready to be tested. I always have Gothic 1&2 installed.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 15th, 2012, 20:19
I always have Gorhic 2&3 installed and I'm really interested into this - keep up the good work.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

May 15th, 2012, 21:52
Makes me want to replay GII (with NOTR) again … Instead of Risen I

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

May 17th, 2012, 04:07
http://www.multiupload.nl/XBWG05CCLP

it's good if you report clipping errors (NPC's or monsters that are stuck in vegetation), take a screenshot of the problem, and if you see something that looks new but has a very dark low-res texture it means i forgot to put in that texture in the .vdf, report that too

Current features (v0.3):

* New meshes (50 currently). The meshes are improvements to the natural environment, plants, trees / tree stumps, grasses, mushrooms etc. Old World has been given extra care since many of the meshes there were extremely blocky.

* The original game has very few different trees, this mod ups the amount of different pines, conifers and other types of trees.

* Improved herbs. In vanilla Gothic 2 the herbs are often stuck too deep into the ground, it looks ugly and sometimes the mesh is almost completely hidden. This mod brings them up a bit further and most has been given a slight graphical update.

* New textures for landscape, skies, architecture, monsters, blood, water. Some of the NPC's, armors and weapons are also enhanced or changed completely.

* Only aesthetics, no gameplay changes.

vurt

Serial Modderer

May 17th, 2012, 07:50
Thanks for all the hard work vurt. Will test when I move the game to the new ssd (weekend probably).

Off Topic: Anyone have any problem with the game and mouse control? I am trying to understand if it is my new Logitech G400 that seems to have made the sensitivity plummet (I can barely look around at 3600 dpi. Mouse works amazingly well in every other game I tried) the only other thing changed is an NVIDIA gtx670 but I sincerely doubt that is the problem, hmm….

Edit: Hmm seems it is a known problem with some newer mice (worked well with my dirt basic old Logitech). I'll have to change it from the ini it seems…
Last edited by JonNik; May 17th, 2012 at 08:12.

JonNik

SasqWatch

May 17th, 2012, 17:51
Be aware that this release really isnt intended for anything else than testing, it's not really worth downloading for a play through or anything yet, that will take a while. There are issues like textures flickering and whatnot. But since it's really easy to uninstall (delete the .vdf) you can test it if you want..

vurt

Serial Modderer

May 17th, 2012, 21:44
Fine by me (tweaking, testing and fooling around is all I have the appetite for doing on a PC at home presently, instead of actually doing some serious gaming i.e.).

Have finished a G2 run just a few months ago anyways

JonNik

SasqWatch

May 19th, 2012, 04:12
Did you take it down? I've tried the link several times, but I'm getting nothing but a blank white page.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 19th, 2012, 04:27
That's odd, multiupload works for me, you should see 5 links.

Here's one of them: http://www.2shared.com/file/KRZQjunc…ics_Overh.html

vurt

Serial Modderer

May 19th, 2012, 04:31
Ok, that one comes up immediately. Original link still doesn't work for me.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 19th, 2012, 22:17
Tried it a bit tonight and I really like what I am seeing, especially the flora. Also great work on the Valley of Mines.

Performance though is surprisingly an issue! I get as low as 22 fps on Khorinis with an i7960 6GB DDR3 and an OC GTX 670 (Gigabyte Windforce) that rips apart pretty much everything I throw at it (Skyrim, Witcher2, Metro 2033 and DX11 Crysis 2)… On every other place I checked FPS were acceptable (35 was the minimum I got in the Valley I believe and above 40 to 60 everywhere else). In contrast, I get FPS as expected (through the roof) with all quality settings and sumpfis texture pack (simple sharpening of the originals). They don't look even remotely as sharp as yours ofcourse

What system are you running it on? Seems like a CPU limit to me… (same FPS with 8xSS Transparency,16xAF, 32xCSAA and without all those).

Other than that, the only bug I have found is some sort of impassable area around Mika (The guard on the screen). Its not a wall exactly because if you walk around it you stop at a distance to the guard from the opposite direction too.

I will fool around some more when I have the time. Keep up the great work

JonNik

SasqWatch

May 19th, 2012, 23:18
The City of Khorinis has always been the most demanding place in the game, i guess it's because of the NPC schedule's etc. 22 does sound extremely low though, i have at least 40 there and 60 in most other places.

Might have to scale down some of the the textures or something.. i'll do some more tests on my old laptop.. My main computer is a i7 @ 4.9,GHz, GTX 580, 8GB ram.

I will check out the thing with the guard, thanks for the input

Here's v0.4:

http://www.multiupload.nl/Y7JM6L0MNU
http://www.2shared.com/file/KeA_4wYT…ics_Overh.html

I've changed a lot of the ground textures that were a bit too bright, City of Khorinis has been updated with new textures too.

vurt

Serial Modderer

May 19th, 2012, 23:41
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
The City of Khorinis has always been the most demanding place in the game, i guess it's because of the NPC schedule's etc. 22 does sound extremely low though, i have at least 40 there and 60 in most other places.

Might have to scale down some of the the textures or something.. i'll do some more tests on my old laptop.. My main computer is a i7 @ 4.9,GHz, GTX 580, 8GB ram.
I have 60 fps with Sumpfis texture pack (and Vsync on so I guess even more) on the same spot. Did you add lot of new meshes (i.e trees) on the surrounding area i.e ? My i7 is @ 3,2 (stock) so I guess that is indeed the main difference here. Can't be the textures though…

Will try the new version soon.

JonNik

SasqWatch

May 20th, 2012, 00:25
There are new pines and conifers around the city yes.. i checked again and its extremely fluid for me, even with alpha transperancy (super samling) turned on, 8x AA, 16 AF on. I also use Zfogzone and ZHqualityrender from the console. So it's a bit strange you get that low FPS hmm.

vurt

Serial Modderer

May 20th, 2012, 09:18
Well If you checked it on your laptop and its fluid there it is odd certainly.
If you do have 40 fps there @ 4.9 (too low!) then the difference is explained away by our cpu's… May be that you hit the limits on that poor old engine…

Its odd though, I have 35 fps on the gate (and 40 looking away from it) and then 22-25 a few meters in… What is even odder is that reducing view distance from 300% to 100 % only improves fps by 1-2 !

You replaced the only texture I didn't like in Khorinis btw (the Marble like one). The new one fits like a glove

Edit: One question would be (in case it is indeed fluid on your laptop too) what setup do you have for the game. Gog Version ? iirc I installed pretty much like this Using the original German Gold Version (with the translation mod as my English version installer did not work in win7 for some reason)…
Last edited by JonNik; May 20th, 2012 at 09:41.

JonNik

SasqWatch

May 20th, 2012, 10:46
I meant my main computer, but i tested on my laptop just now and yes, it kills at least 6 FPS on my laptop (harbor area). But even my laptop had around 20 FPS there and it's quite old, a C2D at 2.2GHz, ATI 512MB (i think) graphics card, 3GB RAM.

I use the Steam version, it's updated/downgraded to 2.6 (fix) version from WoG which is the recommended version of G2..

vurt

Serial Modderer

May 20th, 2012, 11:01
Definitely something fishy going on then. I'll try to look into it.
Meanwhile I'd appreciate if you posted your ini (in spoiler tags or something), if its not too much of a bother, just in case.

JonNik

SasqWatch

May 20th, 2012, 11:05
Might be the new water textures.. i'll try removing them and see what happens to my FPS on the laptop.

Here's my .ini:

Spoiler

It's a bit experimental though, new values for sky colors and whatnot (something i'm still tweaking). Values for texture VRAM etc are set quite high too. Worth at try maybe.

vurt

Serial Modderer

May 20th, 2012, 11:18
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
It's a bit experimental though, new values for sky colors and whatnot (something i'm still tweaking). Values for texture VRAM etc are set quite high too. Worth at try maybe.
Exactly what I was thinking although I already had most values up to the levels you had and a bit beyond. Odd, no doubt about it…

Thanks vurt. I can think of a couple of things I'll look into and see how it goes. Definitely using your mod for my next playthrough regardless though. No way I am going back now that I've seen the game look like this

Edit: The wave tex suggestion might not be too far off. On the Dock I have 40 fps looking towards the town and fluctuating 30-33 while looking towards the sea..

JonNik

SasqWatch

May 20th, 2012, 12:03
Yeah that sounds like it could be something then.. i'll look into it later today.

Made some comparison pics

http://i.imgur.com/ibGFx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7zvz0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/A0Cnv.jpg
http://piclair.com/data/ueqfi.jpg
http://piclair.com/data/gnpi7.jpg

vurt

Serial Modderer

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Gothic 3 » Gothic 1/2 » [Mod] Vurt's Gothic II Texture Pack