|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - TV Show Pilot

Default S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - TV Show Pilot

November 10th, 2010, 16:20
As we have some Stalker fans here I thought you might be interested to know that Kotaku reports that there was a pilot made for TV based on the game. It's being funded by STALKER developers GSC Game World. You can watch part of the pilot over at Kotaku. Here is some more info:
Cult favourite PC shooter series STALKER is trying to earn itself a TV series deal, with the game's developers paying for the production of a pilot episode.

The show has been put together by a media outfit called Transvision, and as you'll see in the clip below, is doing a pretty good job of capturing the whole "sad men with guns hanging out in a desolate wasteland" thing the game series does so well.

STALKER developers GSC Game World tell Kotaku production of the pilot episode (from which all the footage in the preview clip below has been taken) has been entirely self-funded by the studio. Negotiations are currently underway with Russian and Ukrainian TV networks for a series deal, which if successful would see a full series produced and broadcast across the markets of the former Soviet Union. And if it's successful there? GSC say "we are interested in licensing the distribution rights to other territories, such as Western Europe, North America etc."
More information.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

November 10th, 2010, 16:21
I know I'll probably get some posts saying, "WTF!!! THIS ISN'T TEH RPG!!!", but I don't care. I took a look at part of the pilot and would watch this thing in a second. I believe some of you would want to know about it as well since I know we have a few STALKER fans here.

Edit: And I apologize for using the STALKER 1 boxshot, but it seemed better than using a generic RPG watchtower

Despite all my rage.
Last edited by skavenhorde; November 10th, 2010 at 16:37.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

November 10th, 2010, 16:36
STALKER is (imo) way more RPG than the POS games Mass Effect… even if it per some definition isnt, i couldnt care less, they're probably the best / most atmospheric PC games ever made and totally deserves the attention

yeah im also looking forward to seeing this, read about it on another forum this morning and was happily surprised

bemushroomed

outlander

November 10th, 2010, 16:46
Not a surprise really, considering the game was partially based on a movie to begin with.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 10th, 2010, 16:49
So we've got a TV show based on a game that was based on a 1979 movie which was based on a 1971 book.
It's the last bit from Kotaku

Despite all my rage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

November 10th, 2010, 16:51
Didn't even read the full article, I already knew the background.

Still haven't got around to seeing the movie yet….

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 10th, 2010, 17:16
STALKER deserves any and all attention it gets. Like bemushroomed said, it is very much an action rpg, if we are to call Mass Effect 2 a rpg.

PegasusOrgans

Watchdog
RPGWatch Team

November 10th, 2010, 17:16
@JDR13 Bring a lot of coffee for the movie i've never managed to see the full movie (i've tried 2 or 3 times). It's quite good until a certain point (the photo is fantastic) where it's just sooooo slow. I adore his movie Soylaris (also VERY slow), seen it twice, but Stalker, wow, just too slow and too uninteresting after an hour or so.

bemushroomed

outlander

November 10th, 2010, 17:21
Yeah, it was based on the novel "Roadside Picnic" by the Strugatsky brothers and also on Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky (which is a loose adaption of the novel). I never read the novel because I heard the English translation makes the novel a little confusing and a lot of Strugastky novels are slightly allegorical tales about the state of the Soviet Union (further complicating the matter for Western readers), but Tarkovsky's movie is an absolute masterpiece that you should definitely watch if you're interested in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise. Of course, the novel and the movie are quite different in a lot of aspects, and the two were made BEFORE the Chernobyl disaster in 1986.

TheGameSquid

Watchdog

November 10th, 2010, 17:23
It looks very good from the snippet. I think I may have seen that film mentioned a long time ago. As I recall, it was a bit on the slow side and you had to stick with it, but it was intriguing.
If the project ever gets off the ground and comes to the US, I how the SciFi channel has nothing to do with it. Talk about your cheap-assed production, effects, writing, direction, acting, you name it, it sucks the biggest Dog Balls around.

Zephyr

SasqWatch

November 10th, 2010, 17:33
How many anomalies did you guys spot? I saw at least two and they looked good.

Despite all my rage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

November 10th, 2010, 17:43
I am the third.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

November 10th, 2010, 18:27
Yes, yes you are Alrik. You got to be some sort of anomaly

Despite all my rage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

November 11th, 2010, 09:13
Dunno about that - production values don't seem that big and the whole trailer looks more like LARP-ing with some effects to me.

Also I don't know if I'm that hungry for more STALKER anymore - novel was quite good, the movie (as some of you mentioned) - a classic, though it is on the slow and very philosophical side, also directed by a cinema genius (Tarkovsky), the games - great open-worldish FPS-RPG-ish experiences that let you explore the Zone… So it will be tough for these series to deliver anything new and good to me - I'm full already.

..chasing a trail of smoke and reason..

sfury

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - TV Show Pilot