Quantcast
Something weird is going on with my comp… - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Something weird is going on with my comp…

Default Something weird is going on with my comp…

August 15th, 2016, 11:44
All of a sudden my comp caught a glitch… mouse pointer freezes for a second (sometimes just once and sometimes a couple of times) and I hear a click of something happening in the background but there is no popup or error info. I have switched USB port but the problem persist. Any ideas about the causes or a ways of checking what's going on?
All help will be appreciated!

It seems that moving the mouse after a pause or doing anything new (like switching bookmarks or starting a game) often but not always triggers a series of 4 or 5 short freezes. Than it goes away until next pause with an occasional single freeze in-between…
Last edited by zahratustra; August 15th, 2016 at 12:59.

zahratustra

SasqWatch

August 15th, 2016, 13:11
Your mouse might be dying. Have you tried another mouse?

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

August 15th, 2016, 13:25
Mouse might be a best case scenario. I have sneaky suspicion that it might be motherboard USB controller… I have never been able to update drivers to it, USB simply stopped to work when I did and I had to roll back the update to fix that.
But, to answer your question, yes I tried a different mouse but it refused to install.

Motherboard is still under the guarantee but I hate the very thought of gutting my comp to replace the motherboard.

zahratustra

SasqWatch

August 15th, 2016, 13:30
Which chipset is on mobo? If unsure, you can check it with CPU-Z utility.
If it's AMD chipset, they recently released new drivers (scroll all way down):
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

But it still doesn't mean USB port/driver is the culprit. The same thing was happening to me with certain faulty Alfa wifi gadget for example.

You didn't tell us when exactly all of this happens. While playing The Witcher 3 (which might be related to not strong enough rig), while playing Assassin Creed 4 (where it's perfectly normal to happen even on supercomputer) or while not gaming but browsing or watching pr0n.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

August 15th, 2016, 13:49
It's Z87-C with Intel chipset. And it only happened today. The only new thing that I did was to start a new Skyrim game (to try some updated mods). I thought that it might be Skyrim related but when I quit the game problem persisted but is much less severe. Will try Witcher 3 now and see what will happen…

It happens during TW3 as well but to a much lesser degree than during Skyrim. Single freeze now and then rather that a whole series of them.

AND (since you were curious) I have tried pr0n as well. Single freeze at the start and then uninterrupted viewing
Last edited by zahratustra; August 15th, 2016 at 14:01.

zahratustra

SasqWatch

August 15th, 2016, 14:17
Originally Posted by zahratustra View Post
The only new thing that I did was to start a new Skyrim game
My condolences to you.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

+1:

August 15th, 2016, 14:41
Hey! I started Skyrim last night too Which mods are you installing for this go round?

As far as the micro-stutters, you might look at your processes and see if there is anything you don't recognize.
--
'nut

MIA: Bartacus, DArtagnan, Dhruin, DTE, GhanBuriGhan, JemyM, JonNik, kalniel, Kostas, magerette, Prime Junta, skavenhorde, Wulf, Zachary, et al.

crpgnut

Took an arrow to the knee
Original Sin Donor

August 15th, 2016, 14:51
1. Disabling "fast startup" can fix similar issues in some cases. (Search Windows -> fast startup -> power button -> untick fast startup)

2. Uninstalling and reinstalling other USB devices (careful with keyboard) can fix problem in some instances.

3. Remove Realtek HD Audio from Windows 10 startup.

Check here, and here.

Good luck.

__

RPGFool

Sentinel

August 15th, 2016, 16:47
Well… good news is that it was the mouse. As it turned out my spare mouse I 've tried as a replacement was also busted but the one from my laptop works! We have a national holidays today so, until tomorrow, I'm stuck with that dingy little thing

Thanks all!

zahratustra

SasqWatch

August 15th, 2016, 16:59
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Hey! I started Skyrim last night too Which mods are you installing for this go round?
Since I haven't played for a while about 60 of them. Mostly new armor and clothes, few new followers and player homes. You should definitively try OSA with or without OS module.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76744/?

zahratustra

SasqWatch

August 15th, 2016, 18:50
I'm not so good with hardware, but I'm pretty sure this is Bethesda's fault. Even the faulty mouse works better on Witcher!

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

+1:

August 16th, 2016, 01:09
That is actually absolutely true! I'm convinced that if Cyberpunk was just around the corner my mouse would have decided to carry on!

zahratustra

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Something weird is going on with my comp…