|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Totally obscure question - Mouse lag and Drakensang

Default Totally obscure question - Mouse lag and Drakensang

April 8th, 2015, 01:37
Hello!

So, I received my new computer today, and I immediately installed Drakensang on it. It runs great, but when I stream it to my Alienware via Steam, there is input lag both in the keyboard and the mouse, although the mouse gets extra crazy and incredibly, incredibly sensitive, to the point that I can't play it.

I even have the sensitivity turned all the way down in the options menu, but it doesn't change anything. For some reason there is a slight lagginess in the keyboard and crazy sensitivity in the mouse.

Now, it's not only my Alienware that's doing it. I tried streaming it from the Alienware to a Dell XPS laptop, and the same thing happened. Completely unplayable.

I tried tinkering with the network settings, the various options in Steam, nothing seemed to help.

Any ideas of some sort of obscure fix I can try here? A mod? Something? I'd love to play Drakensang on the Alienware while having the new PC run it. Please let me know if anyone has a crazy idea that I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks!

RPGWatch Article Writer, Editor and Moderator

My Patreon Page - Please support my work by becoming a Patron of mine today!

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

April 8th, 2015, 09:16
How is the streaming of other games in terms of input?

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 8th, 2015, 16:13
The input works fine for other games. No lag, no issues. For the record, this isn't the Steam version of the game, it's the boxed copy. I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

April 8th, 2015, 16:45
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
The input works fine for other games. No lag, no issues. For the record, this isn't the Steam version of the game, it's the boxed copy. I'm sure that has something to do with it.
Nah, games aren't modified to stream from Steam. At least, I'm pretty sure they're not.

You could always try adding another non-Steam game to Steam and stream it, to make sure of that.

It sounds like Drakensang does something relatively unique in terms of input - and games can poll for input in a variety of ways. When Steam compresses the output image - maybe something goes wrong when translating the input commands from the Alienware to the game host machine, since Alienware was involved in both of your examples.

I'd try experimenting with Windows mouse settings - or I'd see if I could find some .ini files related to Drakensang. If that doesn't help, maybe try Googling "drakensang mouse lag" or something - and maybe that will turn something up, as it's not necessarily unique to Steam streaming.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 8th, 2015, 17:24
I have the boxed copy and didn't have such issue when I replayed it last year.
However I played the game on Windows 7 as I refuse to buy win8. You?

Things to try:

1. make a shortcut to game exe and set it to run the game in windowed mode (I don't have it installed now so can't post exactly now, but do edit the shortcut by adding after drakensang.exe:
-windowed -noborder
If it won't force the game into windowed broderless mode, try with this application:
http://westechsolutions.net/sites/Wi…derlessGaming/

2. check your screen settings, set DPI on 100% if those are not

Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; April 8th, 2015 at 17:35.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 8th, 2015, 17:32
The input works fine on the computer it's installed on, just when I stream it to my laptop downstairs, the input gets crazy.

Other non-Steam games I've streamed have worked great. Asheron's Call, Morrowind, etc.

Of course, when you stream non-Steam games, you are entering unknown territory. I'll try to look in the .ini or something and see if there's something I can change.

Thanks for the responses thus far.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

April 8th, 2015, 17:39
Did you at least read what it says here?
http://westechsolutions.net/sites/Wi…derlessGaming/

Must have for streaming games that do not have the option build in. Stream fullscreen @1080p while still being able to easy Alt/Tab out as if you were in windowed mode. This way you can stream in top quallity while still communiccating with your viewers.
Or play your game on your second monitor, thanks to our mouse locking options this application makes sure your cursor stays in your game window while you play.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 8th, 2015, 17:48
joxer, That's not what I'm looking for (unless I'm missing something ).

I want to play a Steam game on my PC, but have it streamed so I can play it on my laptop downstairs. In order to do that, I have to use Steam In-Home Streaming. I don't think the borderless mode is going to make any difference, will it?

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

April 8th, 2015, 17:52
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum…&postcount=137
Thanks a ton for this, it basically fixed Drakensang: Dark Eye so it will actually work on Windows 8. It's the only game I had come across so far that has had a Win8 problem. Not any more.
And it's a thread about that 3rd party util.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 8th, 2015, 17:55
Okay, so I'll try it, but last time I made a shortcut for Drakensang in Steam, the game wouldn't start.

Edit - Yep, same result. If I make a shortcut and point to that on Steam, the game won't start. I have to point to the actual .exe in the Drakensang folder for it to work.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

April 8th, 2015, 18:19
1. Too fast PCs can create problems for older games because their refresh cycles / hardware pull cycles are too fast. At least that's what I've heard.

2. Did you already reduce Drakensang's mouse sensitivity to the absolute minimum ?

Besides Drakensang 2 : I get odd graphical glitches when I turn on anti-aliasing within the game, if the driver has it activated already.

For example, the beggar's face got totally distorted.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 8th, 2015, 18:37
Where would I find the Drakensang .ini file?

Alrik, I reduced mouse sensitivity to minimum and it makes no difference. The computer and laptop on their own run Drakensang very well, it's only when I stream it that the input becomes a problem.

I also turned off graphical effects but it doesn't seem to matter, either.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

April 9th, 2015, 14:21
So, does anyone know where the Drakensang.ini config file is? I can't find it in install folder.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

April 9th, 2015, 14:24
So, does anyone know where the Drakensang.ini config file is? I can't find it in install folder.
It's not the kind of thing I can remember off-hand. Usually, you can find .ini files under Documents -> Game Title or Documents > My Games > Game title. Sometimes, they're in the same place but under the publisher/developer name. Other times, you can find them under x:\users\username\appdata (default hidden, IIRC) somewhere.

Based on memory, so it's not exactly precise information

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Totally obscure question - Mouse lag and Drakensang