|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What Game Should I Play Next?

Default What Game Should I Play Next?

March 27th, 2012, 02:18
The Hard Reset demo was great fun. This coming from a Painkiller fan, although I prefer the more open levels of Painkiller/Serious Sam rather than the corridors that were in the Hard Reset demo.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#201

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,002

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 08:09
OK, I finished Ultima Underworld. Great game. I was originally planning to play UU II afterwards, but I am tired of the laggy UI. :/

I am gravitating towards one of the following:

Alpha Protocol
Batman: Arkham City
Blade of Darkness
Crysis
Dead Space 2
Drakensang 2
Dungeon Siege II
Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords
Gothic 1
Hard Reset
Mass Effect

But here is my full list. I'd like to know if there is another classic I should prioritize.

Spoiler – Full Unplayed Game List
Last edited by Thrasher; October 1st, 2012 at 19:57. Reason: Added Drakensang 2 to the short list
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#202

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,002

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 11:54
That is big list.If you go for Galactic civilizations II play last expansion(twilight of arnor) right away because it adds completely unique tech tree and buildings for each race.If you want to play something shooty I would suggest to skip hard reset since you have lot of much better shooters on your list(crysis,stalker:call of pripyat,bioshock 2).Same goes for dungeon siege 2 it's good game but you have LOT better games on your list.Personally I think that starting Gothic series would be best.
Nameless one is offline

Nameless one

Nameless one's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#203

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,149

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 11:56
I stopped reading at Gothic.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#204

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,887

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 12:02
Gothic is definitely a good choice. I'd also consider Mass Effect soonish - before it gets too old and loses some of its cinematic appeal - which is a major part of the experience.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#205

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,596

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 15:01
If that's really your backlog, I don't feel nearly so bad about mine.

In spite of the slobbering around here, I've never been able to get into Gothic. I've tried a few times and never got much beyond the New Camp. That's just me, though. I spent a lot of time with Dungeon Siege 2. It's somewhat mindless entertainment, but it's a good bit of fun for a complete-ist as the exploration is very well done and each hireling has their own story arc (which means you hire and fire all of them once or twice to get each of them thru their arc). I got a debilitating addiction to collecting ALL the unique set items, which helped drag me by the nose. If you've played Diablo, you'll find a lot in common.

Of your longer list, MM6 and MM7 are obvious choices. The Eschalon games are also good fun. If you're looking for something different, Space Rangers 2 does a very good job of slapping together TBS, RTS, RPG, and even a touch of adventure into something that somehow managed to work very well. Bioshock2 was good fun as well. While the environment/atmosphere isn't quite as engrossing simply because you've been there before, it still makes for a great experience. Like I did with Bioshock1, I played on easy because I wasn't interested in the shooter aspects of the game, so I can't really say whether Bioshock2 fixed some of the complaints shooter gurus had with the first edition.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?
dteowner is offline

dteowner

dteowner's Avatar
Shoegazer

#206

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 11,327

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 17:59
Thanks all! I figured I would be berated here for not playing Gothic 1 yet. I think I got off rather easy.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I stopped reading at Gothic.
After two "first person" fantasy roleplayers (Ultima Under World: The Stygian Abyss and Undercroft) I am somewhat at underwhelmed at the prospect of playing another. Yet another delay for Gothic 1 I'm afraid…

Originally Posted by Nameless one View Post
That is big list.
And after checking my shelf I have left a couple off. And now I can't remember. :/ Must have been second tier.

Originally Posted by Nameless one View Post
If you go for Galactic civilizations II play last expansion(twilight of arnor) right away because it adds completely unique tech tree and buildings for each race.
Good to know. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Nameless one View Post
If you want to play something shooty I would suggest to skip hard reset since you have lot of much better shooters on your list(crysis,stalker:call of pripyat,bioshock 2).
Yeah, I was thinking Crysis would be a good pick for a change of pace from fantasy roleplaying.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I'd also consider Mass Effect soonish - before it gets too old and loses some of its cinematic appeal - which is a major part of the experience.
OK, I guess if I want a more passive experience while I bake pies or something then? Advice taken.

Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
If that's really your backlog, I don't feel nearly so bad about mine.
It's Steam's fault (not to mention X3:TC and my completionism).

Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
I spent a lot of time with Dungeon Siege 2. It's somewhat mindless entertainment, but it's a good bit of fun for a complete-ist as the exploration is very well done and each hireling has their own story arc (which means you hire and fire all of them once or twice to get each of them thru their arc). I got a debilitating addiction to collecting ALL the unique set items, which helped drag me by the nose. If you've played Diablo, you'll find a lot in common.

Of your longer list, MM6 and MM7 are obvious choices. The Eschalon games are also good fun. If you're looking for something different, Space Rangers 2 does a very good job of slapping together TBS, RTS, RPG, and even a touch of adventure into something that somehow managed to work very well. Bioshock2 was good fun as well. While the environment/atmosphere isn't quite as engrossing simply because you've been there before, it still makes for a great experience. Like I did with Bioshock1, I played on easy because I wasn't interested in the shooter aspects of the game, so I can't really say whether Bioshock2 fixed some of the complaints shooter gurus had with the first edition.
All good suggestions, since we share similar tastes in gaming, these help me think about it.

My experience with the tedious back and forth of collecting and filling rooms with loot through the levels of mazes in UU I is definitely steering me towards something that has no chance of tickling my inventory management madness compulsion.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#207

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,002

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 18:50
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
After two "first person" fantasy roleplayers (Ultima Under World: The Stygian Abyss and Undercroft) I am somewhat at underwhelmed at the prospect of playing another. Yet another delay for Gothic 1 I'm afraid…
Gothic 1 isn´t "first person", thus your excuse doesn´t stand, I´m afraid… .

Also, that list is too fucking big, with a lot of rather obviously good games.
I´ll just give some support to Drakensang 2 - party based combat, a solid character system that gets good use in the game (non combat abilities included), some multiple quest solutions and minor C&C, a very good balance between gameplay elements (combat, exploration, dialogues, puzzles), good production values and refreshingly non-"epic!" storyline. About 30 hours of fairly oldschool-y experience unusually devoid of filler.

Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
OK, I guess if I want a more passive experience while I bake pies or something then?
Dealing with the game´s crappy combat, amazingly bad inventory system and urge to slog through all those copy pasted planetary side quests should keep you on your toes .
On a slightly more serious note, the game is otherwise about running around and soakin´ in the atmosphere, getting acquainted with the setting (via questing, dialogue wheeling or reading the codex), while progressing through a well constructed story which eventually leads to a really well put together last act. It´s not like you´re in for watching 10 hours of cutscenes or something.
Last edited by DeepO; October 1st, 2012 at 19:18.
DeepO is offline

DeepO

DeepO's Avatar
deep outside

#208

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Prague
Posts: 2,327

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 19:42
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
OK, I finished Ultima Underworld. Great game. I was originally planning to play UU II afterwards, but I am tired of the laggy UI. :/

I am gravitating towards one of the following:

Alpha Protocol
Batman: Arkham City
Blade of Darkness
Crysis
Dead Space 2
Dungeon Siege II
Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords
Gothic 1
Hard Reset
Mass Effect

But here is my full list. I'd like to know if there is another classic I should prioritize.

Spoiler – Full Unplayed Game List
I suggest Bioshock 2. Then Hard Reset. Both great games with beautiful environments.

Alpha Protocol is fun as well. I tried Mass Effect 1, but the UI is kind of glitchy compared to the later games and I stopped playing after a while.

I do not recommend Arkham City at all. It took me hours just to install the game due to annoying GFWL and at least three different accounts you have to sign up for, including a completely useless hotmail account, even though I bought the game on Steam and was already logged in to the Steam client. Finally, I was able to play, but I couldn't save. After the intro, it was great to see an open sandbox environment, but you can't enter any of the buildings. As a result, it's a very shallow game world and gliding around beating up thugs repeatedly gets very old after a couple hours. I regret buying this one.
CountChocula is offline

CountChocula

CountChocula's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#209

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chocovania
Posts: 1,478

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 19:55
Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
Gothic 1 isn´t "first person", thus your excuse doesn´t stand, I´m afraid… .
Ah, good catch. A stronger reason to avoid Gothic 1 for now. Third person, yuck.

Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
I´ll just give some support to Drakensang 2 - party based combat, a solid character system that gets good use in the game (non combat abilities included), some multiple quest solutions and minor C&C, a very good balance between gameplay elements (combat, exploration, dialogues, puzzles), good production values and refreshingly non-"epic!" storyline. About 30 hours of fairly oldschool-y experience unusually devoid of filler.
Yep, that should have been on my short list. Will correct that.

Regarding Mass Effect, which DLCs are recommended? Given that I am NOT interested in paying a fortune in DLCs for any game. :/
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#210

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,002

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 20:04
Play Crysis. Install a couple of graphics mod / updated textures to make the most beautiful game ever (tm) look even better. Some of the open world levels are outstanding. The first 2/3rd have exceptionally high replay value for a shooter, because most levels are open and the the nano suit allows for both stealth and brute force gameplay.

After that play Alpha Protocol. Don't forget this is an RPG mapped to a 3rd person shooter. It's normal that you can't hit shit in the beginning.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#211

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,846

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 21:18
Thanks! Will my 3.5 year old XP machine handle the CPU and GPU requirements for Crysis+mods?

CPU Q9300 (Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor, 6M L2 Cache, 1333 MHz FSB) @ 2.53 GHz, 3.48 GB RAM
GPU ATI FIREPRO M7740, 1 GB DDR5

Or should I wait for my new supercharged Win 7 machine?
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#212

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,002

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 21:50
The CPU should be okay. I don't know how fast your graphics card is though.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#213

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,846

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 22:02
Here's info about the ATI FIREPRO M7740

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Fir…0.18791.0.html
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#214

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,002

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 22:12
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Ah, good catch. A stronger reason to avoid Gothic 1 for now. Third person, yuck.
Oops.
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Regarding Mass Effect, which DLCs are recommended? Given that I am NOT interested in paying a fortune in DLCs for any game. :/
There are only 2 DLCs for ME1 and of those the only one worth having, Bring Down the Sky, is free.
DeepO is offline

DeepO

DeepO's Avatar
deep outside

#215

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Prague
Posts: 2,327

Default 

October 1st, 2012, 23:47
Thanks! How about ME2? I don't have ME3.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#216

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,002

Default 

October 2nd, 2012, 00:58
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
How about ME2?
List of ME2 DLC.

I'd recommend…
  • Zaeed - The Price of Revenge
  • Kasumi - Stolen Memory
  • Overlord
  • Lair of the Shadow Broker
  • Arrival
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#217

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,887

Default 

October 2nd, 2012, 01:12
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Thanks! How about ME2? I don't have ME3.
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
List of ME2 DLC.

I'd recommend…
  • Zaeed - The Price of Revenge
  • Kasumi - Stolen Memory
  • Overlord
  • Lair of the Shadow Broker
  • Arrival
Personally, I found Zaeed and Kasumi to be a waste. They are ridiculously short and essentially add one extra companion character that I never used.

Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker were the best, IMO. Never heard of the Arrival DLC.
CountChocula is offline

CountChocula

CountChocula's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#218

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chocovania
Posts: 1,478

Default 

October 2nd, 2012, 02:29
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Thanks! How about ME2?
First and foremost, AFAIK all DLCs can be added to an ongoing playthrough without issues so I´d suggest considering any of them only after you´ve already played the game for a while.
Roughly 1/3 into the game, there´s a point where the rest of the galaxy starts to open up (and 2 of the DLCs can´t be played before that point anyway) and by that time you should have pretty clear picture how much you´re enjoying the game or not so that might be a good time to decide about the DLCs .
From the best to worst I´d rank them: Lair of the Shadowbroker, Overlord, Kasumi, Arrival. Out of these, I´d say only Arrival is bad and only Shadowbroker is a must-have.
I´ve already made a quite embarrassingly long-winded post about these here.
Zaeed is indeed a rather low content DLC, but should be free if you have a new copy of the game (and personally I think the dude is a cool character).
Last edited by DeepO; October 2nd, 2012 at 02:42.
DeepO is offline

DeepO

DeepO's Avatar
deep outside

#219

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Prague
Posts: 2,327

Default 

October 2nd, 2012, 04:00
Thanks for the suggestions, all!
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#220

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,002
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What Game Should I Play Next?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:52.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch