Blizzard - Exploring Diablo 3 on Consoles

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Blizzard has several new jobs on offer that suggest a console version of Diablo III. Posting on the official forums, Bashiok says they are merely exploring the possibility and Diablo III won't be affected by a console interpretation:
As some of you may have seen over on the Diablo III home page, we’re currently exploring a Diablo-related concept for consoles. As we’ve said in the past, with proper care the gameplay could suit the console platform, and we’re interested in seeing what talent out there might be interested in contributing to such a project.

To further reiterate what’s posted on the home page: this is not an announcement of a console title. We are first and foremost developing Diablo III for Windows and Mac PCs, and we have no intention of allowing a console interpretation to delay or otherwise affect the release of the game. As always feel free to discuss this topic here, but please note that we don’t have any further details to share at this time.

If you or someone you know would be interested in joining the Diablo team, then head over to the job posts to check out the requirements and submit an application.
More information.

Com on everybody knows every game that comes out will be on the consoles but the majority of consoles games will never com to the pc.Its all about money.

First, I honestly couldn't care less about Blizzard's games anymore. I used to admire them for pushing out polished products, but there comes a time when I just have to admit that the games they create just aren't my thing. RTS is probably my least favorite genre (I'm all over TBS though!), and I can easily fall asleep during a 10-minute session of Diablo or Diablo II. So I would only consider their selling out to consoles a "loss" because Blizzard is one of the last big developers for the PC, but I wouldn't morn the passing of their PC games, so to speak.

Second, I truly do believe Blizzard when they say that the development of a console port won't affect the PC version. I believe that if they see that the PC game won't fit on a console they'll simply scrap that version. Or am I being to hopeful here?

Second, I truly do believe Blizzard when they say that the development of a console port won't affect the PC version. I believe that if they see that the PC game won't fit on a console they'll simply scrap that version.

Just what I was going to say; just too lazy to type it. :p

There is one reason for putting D3 on consoles, and one reason only:

Free money.

The only reason they're thinking of this now, and not before - is because they've gotten more greedy.

I smell Kotick at work during some board meetings ;)

Not that I care, because Bliz have already changed for the worse - and I see no reason it would necessarily interfere with the PC version. But, I do see it as the beginning of the end. Nah, rather one more step - as the end began some time ago. I estimate they "lost it" soon after WoW was released, when many of their most talented people said goodbye to them.

If anyone has any doubt what Bliz are about these days, you need only take a look at how they've "evolved" WoW.

Mainstream, mainstream, and more mainstream.

Nothing wrong with that, as long as you're a part of the mainstream.

Are you guys insane? Consoles are the perfect match for hack-and-slash games a la Diablo, even more so than the PC. I would like it a lot more on the couch with a controller, really.

Anyhow, you can stop with the "Woe is upon us! The sky, it is falling down!" cherades. :p

Are you guys insane? Consoles are the perfect match for hack-and-slash games a la Diablo, even more so than the PC. I would like it a lot more on the couch with a controller, really.

Anyhow, you can stop with the "Woe is upon us! The sky, it is falling down!" cherades. :p

You're also the perfect match, so the sky isn't falling for you ;)

Eh, saw it coming...

What I'm really waiting for is for them to announce World of Diablo and World of Starcraft.

I have yet to play a Blizzard game that wasn't excellent. I don't see why D3 on consoles should change anything - after all, this is not a console game being ported to the PC.

Never played a Diablo game. Curious whether I'd like it. I have some doubts, but at least this way I'll be able to sample it. The questions in my mind are 1) whether they're actually going to proceed with it, and 2) how long it will take.

Never played a Diablo game. Curious whether I'd like it. I have some doubts, but at least this way I'll be able to sample it. The questions in my mind are 1) whether they're actually going to proceed with it, and 2) how long it will take.

Well, the one thing about Blizzard is (pre-merger anyway) that they can be 4/5 of the way through development, on a given project, decide that it isn't up to par, and scrap the entire thing. I bought my first Xbox because Starcraft: Ghost was due out 4 months later (Xbox only) and I found a deal. One month later, they scrapped the whole thing. The did the same with Warcraft: Adventures. I learned my lesson about waiting.

Yeah, that's what I've heard. They have a history of cancelling console projects. So I'm not going to hold my breath. I tend to have a middling response to hack & slash loot-n-nannies anyhow, so no biggie either way.

Well, they've got to announce it first.

I don't see how consoles could harm this game given what it is. Plus its so late in the dev cycle. Of course this is the interweb and we will bitch about important stuff like... menu icon sizes!

I don't see how consoles could harm this game given what it is. Plus its so late in the dev cycle. Of course this is the interweb and we will bitch about important stuff like… menu icon sizes!

Exactly... I'm scratching my head and trying to figure out what all the crying is about.

It's not really a mystery.

Diablo 3 most likely won't be affected - because it's been PC central all along. But it means one of the last top developers that focused entirely on PC, will start focusing on the console market and audience. With someone like Kotick in such an important position - it shouldn't take much experience with the industry to see where this could potentially lead Blizzard games.

But, as I see Bliz already on a similar path - it's just another step on a bad road.

Com on everybody knows every game that comes out will be on the consoles but the majority of consoles games will never com to the pc.

I very much agree.

But to me, the source of this is different : The PC platform has - in my eyes, cynically put - degraded to a platform of grim and dark FPS, RTS and everything shooter-like.

There are exceptions - but not too many, imho (and still cynically put).

If I want to play innovative games and colourful games, then I hav to look at the consoles - platforms. For example jump & run games just wouldn't sell on the PC, everything colourful and light-hearted would be bashed at ("only for whiners !") and innovative games just would receive bad press and would not be bought at all that much.

Unfortuntely, I fear that the PC platform might be the most conservative platform - In terms of players. THey rather seem to stick with he 10.000th sequel of any shooter or football game instead to try something new - and especially new and innovative games just wouln't be bought.

There are several examples of this (still subjective) : Beyond Good & Evil, Paraworld, Zanzarah was just bashed as being "childish", and so on.

On the other hand, I must admit tht a number of other games didn't sell well, too : Armed & Dangerous (or was it Hidden & Dangerous ?), Space Siege, and another Lucasarts shooter of which I just can't remember the name anymore.

Especially colourful and light-hearted things will never be seen on the PC. Drakensang is one of the few examples, and King's Bounty, too.

These are dark and grim ages for the PC platform.

Back
Top Bottom