|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Good Old Games - Baldur's Gate 2 Released

Default Good Old Games - Baldur's Gate 2 Released

November 15th, 2010, 14:24
You can now purchase the beloved classic, Baldur's Gate 2 and it's expansion for $9.99 at GoG. As a bonus you'll get 2 manuals, 15 wallpapers, soundtrack, 13 avatars, 87 artworks, a map and the Throne of Bhall reference card. I never really know what to think of the bonuses. I guess they're a nice addition for a ten dollar purchase.
The real bonus is not having to worry about getting it to run on a modern day PC. That is all the bonus I need.
More information.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

November 15th, 2010, 14:24
I think everyone saw this one coming from a mile away.

Still, you can't argue with another release of one of the greatest crpgs ever made.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 15th, 2010, 15:50
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
You can now purchase the beloved classic, Baldur's Gate 2 and it's expansion for $9.99 at GoG. As a bonus you'll get 2 manuals, 15 wallpapers, soundtrack, 13 avatars, 87 artworks, a map and the Throne of Bhall reference card. I never really know what to think of the bonuses. I guess they're a nice addition for a ten dollar purchase.
The real bonus is not having to worry about getting it to run on a modern day PC. That is all the bonus I need.
More information.
Soundtrack - Gog.com purchase
No soundtrack - buy elsewhere.

That's my sort of "rule" for the extras

Dwagginz

Tea Addict

November 15th, 2010, 15:51
I normally don't "re-buy" games I already own on GOG, but I might just make an exception for this one. My original BGII discs are slightly damaged so I don't want to use em too much. I normally only use them for installing the game and then I just crack it

And I've been thinking about playing through the entire Saga again recently (even though I have still have a boatload of other games to play first).

TheGameSquid

Watchdog

November 15th, 2010, 15:58
Ahhh, at last!
I've re-bought quite a few games on GOG, and this one will be no exception.

wiretripped

Machiavellian

November 15th, 2010, 16:01
My all time favorite RPG. I still have both BG1 and 2 installed on various PCs, but I might just buy BG1/2 at GoG the next time I intend to install them somewhere.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

November 15th, 2010, 16:13
I still haven't rebought BG1 or IWD, but I may go for the trifecta (not really interested in buying IWD2 again). Will be nice not to have to worry about CD's, CD-cracks, etc., plus have all the manuals in PDF (I have the originals, but I'm sure one day they'll disappear).

What is the likilhood that any of the IE games end up being the 50% of game any time in the near future?

I assume all the mods will work on this just fine?

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

November 15th, 2010, 18:38
I was going to re-install Baldur's Gate; but I forgot the games were on 3.5 inch disks. My computer that I use no longer has a 3.5 inch disk player. So I might look into this

max killen

Watcher

November 15th, 2010, 18:41
Originally Posted by max killen View Post
I was going to re-install Baldur's Gate; but I forgot the games were on 3.5 inch disks. My computer that I use no longer has a 3.5 inch disk player. So I might look into this
Aren't you talking about Bard's Tale? (And shouldn't they be 5.25 disks, then?) My copy of Baldur's Gate came on 5 CDs…

Elwro

Filthy Codex Spy

November 15th, 2010, 18:44
Is this the newest generation of gamers ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

November 15th, 2010, 19:33
Nice. Just hope there's no 64 bit issues, etc.

See you guys in a few weeks

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

November 15th, 2010, 22:44
That's a hell of a lot of quality gaming for $10. BGII with the expansion takes a lot of welcomed time to run through. Possibly my favorite RPG…with the autopause set for every combat round, of course.

Think I'll re-buy this one even though I have the discs just for the convenience of installation. I've probably revisited this game more than any other. You really just can't beat a longstanding, tried and robust ruleset like D&D's, though the one in Drakensang was also nice.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

November 16th, 2010, 09:57
Originally Posted by Elwro View Post
Aren't you talking about Bard's Tale? (And shouldn't they be 5.25 disks, then?) My copy of Baldur's Gate came on 5 CDs…
Indeed, BG1 is several gigabytes, so it's pretty big.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

November 16th, 2010, 10:00
I almost don't dare say it:

I've never gotten far in Baldur's Gate 2.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

November 16th, 2010, 10:15
Hmm, is it only me or is the Throne of Bhaal soundtrack I dl-ed from GoG a copy of the Shadows of Amn one, only with different tags and smaller sized mp3s?

The OSTs are not as awesome as Planescape's but still some great tracks there and lots of memories. I just noticed compared to PS:T battle music is much more prevalent, kinda tells a thing about the difference between the games too.

..chasing a trail of smoke and reason..

sfury

Watcher

November 16th, 2010, 10:18
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I've never gotten far in Baldur's Gate 2.(

You can add it to your list of games you need to play, next to The Witcher and Gothic 2+NotR.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 16th, 2010, 10:23
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You can add it to your list of games you need to play, next to The Witcher and Gothic 2+NotR.
Very much the truth!

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

November 16th, 2010, 14:20
I almost don't dare say it:

I've never gotten far in Baldur's Gate 2.

I envy you Sir. I wish I could erase my mind and start playing the game for the first time again.

TheGameSquid

Watchdog

November 16th, 2010, 14:25
Originally Posted by TheGameSquid View Post
I envy you Sir. I wish I could erase my mind and start playing the game for the first time again.
I've never gotten beyond the first city.

Not sure why, but the first dungeon kinda bores me - and I don't really get the sensation of a big freeform game, and it seems more like a linear tightly woven story which is the opposite of what I got from the first Baldur's Gate.

However, I can deal with that - but I want to replay the entire series from the ground up and stick with one character for the duration.

I've got the whole thing installed on my laptop with that mod which combines both games with expansions into a cohesive whole.

Just can't seem to find the time, and I have this problem of not being able to get back into a story-driven game after just a week or so without playing.

I lead a hard life, obviously

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

November 16th, 2010, 14:29
I've never gotten beyond the first city.

Not sure why, but the first dungeon kinda bores me - and I don't really get the sensation of a big freeform game, and it seems more like a linear tightly woven story which is the opposite of what I got from the first Baldur's Gate.

However, I can deal with that - but I want to replay the entire series from the ground up and stick with one character for the duration.

I've got the whole thing installed on my laptop with that mod which combines both games with expansions into a cohesive whole.

Just can't seem to find the time, and I have this problem of not being able to get back into a story-driven game after just a week or so without playing.

I lead a hard life, obviously
The first dungeon is really designed as a tutorial for people that didn't play the first one, so it is kind of boring. There is a mod that let's you basically skip it. If that is what is dragging you down, I highly recommend it.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Good Old Games - Baldur's Gate 2 Released