|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » ArcaniA Add-On Fall of Setarrif Announced!

Default ArcaniA Add-On Fall of Setarrif Announced!

December 9th, 2010, 15:30
The new JoWooD CM M.Venom introduced himself by announcing the unavoidable Arcania add-on, ArcaniA - Fall of Setarrif.
It will start right were Arcania ended.
A few additional details and three screenshots can be found in this thread in the JoWooD forum.
More information.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

December 9th, 2010, 15:30
Pass. I bought Arcania because of the reviews here, but it's too simple. I was playing on the "gothic" difficulty level and steam rolling over anything that got in my way. I think I made it halfway through the game before I had enough. The story isn't that good, the character development is barely there and of course the combat was so easy my first grade students could take on this game.

I can really see the appeal to people who are brand new to RPGs, but it's just not my cup of tea.
Last edited by skavenhorde; December 9th, 2010 at 18:05.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

December 9th, 2010, 15:32
the character development is barely there and of course the combat was so easy my first grade students could take on this game.
I think the first grade student these days would be better than most people at most games……

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

December 9th, 2010, 15:36
Post updated.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

December 9th, 2010, 15:57
I played through ArcaniA twice and enjoyed it for what it was (a rather light ARPG). I'll probably grab the add-on at some point, but it's no priority. Still, I don't have enough RPGs to play to pass it up.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

December 9th, 2010, 16:52
It's a good game for the Xbox when you want to kick back and relax. But I wouldn't play it on PC.

Mindless fun has its place. It'll probably take me a year to finish it at the rate I'm going though.

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

December 9th, 2010, 17:32
I am not surprised to see this. Oh well, Arcania is not even a mediocre RPG so this addon will be just as pathetic as the original game.

bloodlover

Sentinel

December 9th, 2010, 17:49
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
Pass. I bought Arcania because of the reviews here, but it's too simple.
I'll be passing on this expansion too. I made it off the tutorial island and lost interest quickly after that.

It's funny, I waited years here in the U.S. for the Gothic 2 expansion… this expansion for Arcania comes just a few months after release of the main game and I'm totally uninterested… this series has really taken a turn for the worse.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

December 9th, 2010, 18:03
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
It's funny, I waited years here in the U.S. for the Gothic 2 expansion…
I didn't. I wanted that sucker so badly, I imported it straight from Germany and played with an unofficial translation patch.

Regarding Arcania though… terribly boring game imo, even if you discount it as a Gothic game. Afaic, the Gothic series concluded at the end of G3.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 9th, 2010, 18:21
Please…make it stop.

chautemoc

Watcher

December 9th, 2010, 18:34
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I didn't. I wanted that sucker so badly, I imported it straight from Germany and played with an unofficial translation patch.
When Jowood said they were going to make a U.S. release for it, I never would have imagined at the time that it was going to take, from what I remember, like two years for it to happen. In hindsight, I should have just done what you did.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

December 9th, 2010, 18:51
I'm near the end of the game. My only complaint about the game is the poor quest and dialog writing. Linearity and dumbed down roleplaying not much issue. They ruined the game with silly dialogs and quests. I hope they will hire a talented quest writer for the expansion.

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch

December 9th, 2010, 22:16
Originally Posted by chautemoc View Post
Please…make it stop.
Thats what what I thought. Its like JoWooD is a living dead when it comes to gothic. It just keeps going.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

December 9th, 2010, 22:39
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
Thats what what I thought. Its like JoWooD is a living dead when it comes to gothic. It just keeps going.
Heres a new idea for jowood.An action based game called Gothic:Night of the Dead.Everybody loves zombies theses days.As for the addon they said it was coming if you remember the city was cutoff from the campaign.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

December 9th, 2010, 22:39
Undead ?

Or, as Skavenhorde recently put it regarding Interplay :

"A zombified unlife thing going on …"

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

December 9th, 2010, 23:51
Ahem would be nice to have a spoiler alert - us boys in the UK do not have this game yet so telling us that the 'now sane King Rhobar' has returned to court might just give the game away a little!

And yes having obtained my copy from Amazon.de I was disappointed but the reviews (PC Gamer etc) were correct, this is Gothic light. I wonder where the world is going?

Aiji Ma

Aiji Ma

Traveler

December 10th, 2010, 00:57
I don't think it'll be much good. I'm going to buy it anyway

I wonder if it's Diego et al they've made playable or if they're going with their new cast of, completely uninteresting, secondary characters… I half-believe the original plan for G1 was to have Diego, Gorn etc as alternatives for the player, but it never happened.

Alistair

Sentinel

December 10th, 2010, 06:40
I will probably get it. I liked Arcania. Playing Divinity II now and i realised i like these easy going games more then others. I feel the experience in Arcania was pretty much the same as i got from Risen and better experience then from Gothic 3. But i just play for fun and almost never replay games so i do not realize the short cut in replayability if there is any. Playing Arcania at Gothic difficulty level feels like i am playing a gothic (1-2) game on normal. Which is on the verge to tough for me.

I haven't had any problem with the scripting/story telling. However i do like JRPG so i think my head has gone to the south leaving my body behind.

mute

Sentinel

December 10th, 2010, 07:55
Once I completely disregarded the game as a Gothic game, I was alright with the game. And I actually look forward to an "Arcania" add-on.

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

December 10th, 2010, 09:52
Originally Posted by Aiji Ma View Post
Ahem would be nice to have a spoiler alert - us boys in the UK do not have this game yet so telling us that the 'now sane King Rhobar' has returned to court might just give the game away a little!
*Looks on Steam* We… don't have it? Oh, wonder why it's on Steam then.

If I get ArcaniA at some point and enjoy it, I might pick up this addon. Might.

Dwagginz

Tea Addict

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » ArcaniA Add-On Fall of Setarrif Announced!