|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Revealed

Default Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Revealed

December 12th, 2010, 03:37
Todd Howard has surprised onlookers at the Spike Video Game Awards by revealing Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - due for release on the rather cool 11.11.11. Here's the teaser trailer, courtesy of Gametrailers:

More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 12th, 2010, 03:37
w00t!!! I'm so excited, I just can't hide it There are 350+ posts in 24 minutes on Bethesda's Forums about the news. I'm not sure there is a more popular single-player series in existence. Definitely not a single-player crpg. I just got my Christmas present a couple weeks early.

'nut
Last edited by crpgnut; December 12th, 2010 at 03:48.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2010, 03:42
woot!

*run off to the elder scrolls forums*

edit:
Novak'leen sound a lot like "Nerevarine" and they both happen to be Dragon Born. How nice.

Or it might just me that want a storyline closer to what Morrowind had…

second edit:

Apparently UESP was wrong, it's not Novak'leen, but Dovahkiin.
Last edited by azarhal; December 12th, 2010 at 19:00.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2010, 04:51
This is on my very short list of games I'm looking forward to: this and Dead State.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

December 12th, 2010, 04:52
Hmmmm, those type of trailers don't work for me. It also doesn't help that I wasn't blown away by Oblivion. Now if they would have revealed that ES 5 is going to be more like Morrowind, that would have got my attention.

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

December 12th, 2010, 05:23
Let's hope they can get their horrid level scaling, repetitive cave textures and skill system fixed

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2010, 05:24
Surprising news for a Saturday.

Is it too soon to start bashing the game?

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2010, 05:32
Sounds like Max von Sydow narrating.

Is it too soon to start bashing the game?
Let me start!

Regards the game - ok, dragons return, you're the chosen one and you have to build up your powers in order to slaughter the head dragon/wizard/demon/whatever and save the kingdom. Before that however you will slaughter hundreds of wild animals, ghosts, skeletons and recalcitrant humans. You will also fetch and carry dozens of times for helpless types in return for some virtual money and 'experience'.

I know it's Oblivion and I'll eat up the coming screenshots like everyone else, but aren't we all getting just a little tired of the cod-medieval/orcs and elves/you are the chosen one formula?

Madjack

Traveler

December 12th, 2010, 05:51
Well, I will bet there is no way is is ready by next year.
Slick trailer but……………

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

December 12th, 2010, 06:01
Originally Posted by Madjack View Post
Sounds like Max von Sydow narrating.

Let me start!

Regards the game - ok, dragons return, you're the chosen one and you have to build up your powers in order to slaughter the head dragon/wizard/demon/whatever and save the kingdom. Before that however you will slaughter hundreds of wild animals, ghosts, skeletons and recalcitrant humans. You will also fetch and carry dozens of times for helpless types in return for some virtual money and 'experience'.

I know it's Oblivion and I'll eat up the coming screenshots like everyone else, but aren't we all getting just a little tired of the cod-medieval/orcs and elves/you are the chosen one formula?
Well, it really depends on the implementation. Dragons are a particularly generic fantasy trope though, and I always found it kind of cool that they were a distant legend in TES so far. DaO and Gothic 2 had vaguely similar premise. I would have preferred a more original premise, but other things will be more important in the end for a sandbox game.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

December 12th, 2010, 06:15
I'm looking forward to it, even though practically no information was given beyond the name and release date. I hope the world is designed more like Morrowind which I thought was more interesting to explore than Oblivion. For me, Bethesda has taken over some primary RPG space since Origin and Looking Glass disappeared.

Gharrick

Traveler

December 12th, 2010, 08:36
OMG the obvious big sellers are getting sequels—> my head asplode!!!!!

PegasusOrgans

Watchdog
RPGWatch Team

December 12th, 2010, 08:38
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
This is on my very short list of games I'm looking forward to: this and Dead State.
I could not think of two CRPGs more different in gameplay, scope, storyline, and target audience.

Edit: Me? I'm looking forward to Dead State, Deus Ex 3 and Xenonauts. And Witcher 2 of course.

PegasusOrgans

Watchdog
RPGWatch Team

December 12th, 2010, 10:06
Originally Posted by redman5427 View Post
Well, I will bet there is no way is is ready by next year.
Slick trailer but……………
Why is that? They've been working on it for two years - end of next year makes three…isn't that enough with existing tech?

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 12th, 2010, 10:17
What excites me the most is to see how they could possibly dumb down Oblivion any more than they already did. To do so you need both skill and dedication. I am excited to see what the team came up with.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

December 12th, 2010, 10:50
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
What excites me the most is to see how they could possibly dumb down Oblivion any more than they already did. To do so you need both skill and dedication. I am excited to see what the team came up with.
With Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 Bioware determined even lowest standarts then Bethesda. And then there's Gothic 4 with Jowood. I hope Bethesda won't forget to license Awesome buttonTM from Bioware. They won't be able to sell enough games to the 'casual' crowd without this. We don't want that. Hail to our next big fantasy GTA-like action game. RPG, who wants that?

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch

December 12th, 2010, 10:54
Yawn, dragons. Had already enough of them in Drakensang and Dragon Age.

Hindukönig

Sentinel

December 12th, 2010, 12:00
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
w00t!!! I'm so excited, I just can't hide it There are 350+ posts in 24 minutes on Bethesda's Forums about the news. I'm not sure there is a more popular single-player series in existence. Definitely not a single-player crpg. I just got my Christmas present a couple weeks early.
Definitely not a multi-player crpg?

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2010, 12:02
I'm actually hopeful about this, and I'm not going to bitch about dragons or anything. Why?

Because I have hope. I hope Bethesda have learned from their mistakes with the two Gamebryo games they've done, and that they'll apply that knowledge to this new tech they're using and as such, make a beautiful game that performs well. I don't care about the main story's details as Bethesda have always had it as just one path to go down, unlike Dragon Age or Mass Effect from BioWare where you're forced down that path. Obviously you can go down the story to one point to add changes to the world (Oblivion gates in TES IV, for example), but it's not necessary to do so to enjoy the world.

Dwagginz

Tea Addict

December 12th, 2010, 12:21
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Why is that? They've been working on it for two years - end of next year makes three…isn't that enough with existing tech?
+1.

Dragons sounds really uninspiring, but im really looking forward to it (and the mods ).

bemushroomed

outlander

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Revealed