|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Keeping smoke in one room (incense burning question)

Default Keeping smoke in one room (incense burning question)

December 15th, 2014, 05:04
I'm wondering, is it true that a wet towel underneath a door will keep the smell of incense from seeping into other rooms? I am going to be burning some incense and want to make sure others in the house don't smell it, because they hate the stuff. And yes, I am really talking about incense here, nothing illegal

I have a 25 pack of Indian varieties coming tomorrow and I want to be prepared for the first burning session . Any tips here?

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

December 15th, 2014, 05:43
What if you have to hit the john halfway through the "incense" session? Wouldn't the smoke escape then? Don't know how long the stuff lasts. A towel blocks smoke very well, as long as the rest of the room is sealed.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 15th, 2014, 09:45
A wet towel will block the slit below the door quite well, yes. However, the question is whether that slit (if there even is one) is your main problem. Depending on your door / your building smoke may go through other vents or cracks etc. or even through an active venting system. Even if you can keep it in, the smell may drift to the people above when you open your windows after your session. Also, be aware that some incense may linger strongly in your carpet and furniture. Maybe start really small and see (or smell) for yourself how it goes.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

December 15th, 2014, 10:36
Don't put a wet towel down. You'll just make mold.

Incense should be used outdoors! If you're going to use it to make your room smell nice just light it up, wave it around for 5 seconds then put it out again.

Even having the pack opened up and not ignited will stink the room out.

I have a box of "Nag Champa" in my bathroom, its been there for YEARS and I can still smell it even though I almost never light them up. It was a gift.

SirJames

Sentinel

December 16th, 2014, 03:03
Thanks for the responses!

My first session went well . The smell surprisingly didn't even leave the room! I'm only burning medium sized sticks that burn for approximately 20-25 minutes, and the room never really filled up with smoke or anything. I didn't even use a towel, because I wanted to see how it would go without one.

The room smells really nice long after the burning is done. Oh, and I made sure to keep a window cracked a few inches (the top portion closer to the ceiling), just for some added ventilation. Seems to work great so far.

I'd recommend incense burning to anyone who is looking to relax a bit. The session was really nice. I bought a package of 25 Indian varieties that all smell amazing.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

December 16th, 2014, 13:50
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
I'd recommend incense burning to anyone who is looking to relax a bit.
Peh.

Not gonna do.
In my case, nothing beats a roll of pot.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 16th, 2014, 15:08
I burn incense frequently as well. It's quite nice and relaxing plus it happens to be much cheaper than pot. :-p

Toff

Sentinel

+1:

December 16th, 2014, 15:22
Errrr, you're buying it?
Peh.

Plant your own!

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 16th, 2014, 19:22
The only advice I could give is this : Close the doors.

I sometimes use incense during the Christmas days - it surely adds a "special note" to it.

My problems are rather with how to get it burning in the first place, because the coal I used was usually *very* smokey …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

December 18th, 2014, 02:12
I use sticks. Just take a lighter and light the end of the stick. Wave it slowly from side to side a bit, and when the tip gets orange, blow it out. It will stay burning and be good from then on.

Here's what I use > http://www.amazon.com/Satya-Sai-Baba…pr_product_top

Great stuff that smells wonderful.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

December 18th, 2014, 05:00
I vote for incense AND pot.

Ripper

I may chew things

December 18th, 2014, 06:07
I burn incense while on the pot

crpgnut proud sponsor of TMI

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

+1:

December 19th, 2014, 22:58
If you think that you can burn something and not have the smell permeate everything in the house … you are probably 'nose-blind'.

I was out running last weekend and a minivan passed me on the opposite side of the road - and since the temperature was ~20F (-6C) all the windows were closed … but I had no question that they were smoking … ack.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Keeping smoke in one room (incense burning question)