Quantcast
The end (of the PC) is nigh! - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The end (of the PC) is nigh!

Default The end (of the PC) is nigh!

April 20th, 2016, 11:19
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/20/te…cuts.html?_r=0

Intel, the world’s largest maker of semiconductors, said on Tuesday that it was laying off 12,000 people, about 11 percent of its work force, as it continues to reel from a long downturn in global demand for personal computers.
It's been a long time coming, but PCs are getting much smaller in terms of market demand than ever before as far as I can tell.

I do not think the PC will actually die out, but it will certainly become a much smaller part of people's lives than it did from the 1990's to the 2000's.

Hopefully computer games and RPGs keep coming out

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

April 20th, 2016, 12:44
And yet PC games, software and accessories sales continue to rise.

Tablet sales also continue to decline.

So is nobody using tablets or PC? Of course not.

Is Intel really surprised? They continue to release processors that offer 5-10% gains. Nobody is rushing to put money down for that.

I don't buy new PC's. I build and upgrade my own. I've always been an early adopter but even I don't upgrade nearly as often as I used to. I used to upgrade the pc's in my house every 6-12 months now it's every 3-5 years with video cards being a earlier.

The processors in are pc's are now from, 2011,2012 and 2014 and there's nothing out that these pc's can't run at max.

In short Pc's are just fine.What is declining however, is technology advancement, innovation and killer apps to drive the demand to buy new PC's or tablets.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

April 20th, 2016, 13:29
Its true, Win 10 has been out for almost a year and does anything need Dx12 yet? I built my system in 2009 and although I almost built a new one this year, there is no need yet. I did upgrade my Gpu and I am playing everything I want.
Also, with all the retro games being released, there is no need for new hardware.
--
Hmmn, still breathing
"Kenneth Doosey"

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

April 20th, 2016, 13:42
The largest part of PC users are not gamers, and for them old PC's are fine, they use it to write word documents, pay bills, send emails, and maybe some shopping. Most of the surfing and watching is done on tablets or mobiles and maybe casted to the TV.

As others put, for most people there is no need to buy a new PC, and intel is in part responsible for that, by not being innovative enough, neither is the application developers, their could be amazing applications that used the CPU to the max, but there are very few.

They could learn from the smartphone market, a 2 year old phone is almost ancient, people constantly feel the need to upgrade, and some of the latest apps needs a very new phone to run well. Of course I mostly use my smartphone to call and chat, so for me an old one is fine.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

April 20th, 2016, 13:46
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
The largest part of PC users are not gamers, and for them old PC's are fine, they use it to write word documents, pay bills, send emails, and maybe some shopping. Most of the surfing and watching is done on tablets or mobiles and maybe casted to the TV.

As others put, for most people there is no need to buy a new PC, and intel is in part responsible for that, by not being innovative enough, neither is the application developers, their could be amazing applications that used the CPU to the max, but there are very few.

They could learn from the smartphone market, a 2 year old phone is almost ancient, people constantly feel the need to upgrade, and some of the latest apps needs a very new phone to run well. Of course I mostly use my smartphone to call and chat, so for me an old one is fine.
Smartphones are no really fair comparison to PC in that PC is maturing market but wherever smartphones are only getting started. In about 10 years time, smartphones will be facing the same issue in that there is no need to upgrade.

lostforever

SasqWatch

April 20th, 2016, 13:50
Originally Posted by redman5427 View Post
Its true, Win 10 has been out for almost a year and does anything need Dx12 yet?
Yes. Gears of War Ultimate and Quantum Break. And both games run like complete, broken garbage .

Moriendor

Spielkind

April 20th, 2016, 14:30
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Smartphones are no really fair comparison to PC in that PC is maturing market but wherever smartphones are only getting started. In about 10 years time, smartphones will be facing the same issue in that there is no need to upgrade.
Well, I wouldn't agree that smartphones are only getting started, but never-the-less I get what you mean of course. But the PC market has suffered from lack of innovation for a long long time, it is kind of like cars or air-planes, the car market is in the verge of getting re-invented and things are starting to happen in the air-plane market too.

With innovation the PC market could also grow again, there are so many things it could do for you with a little innovation. The segment for PC-pad hybrids for example is growing, that is something innovative. The market for "mini-PC"'s are growing Raspberry PI for example. But intel is losing out to ARM in those segments, because their intel Atom processor is kind of a flop.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

April 20th, 2016, 17:58
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/20/te…cuts.html?_r=0

It's been a long time coming, but PCs are getting much smaller in terms of market demand than ever before as far as I can tell.

I do not think the PC will actually die out, but it will certainly become a much smaller part of people's lives than it did from the 1990's to the 2000's.

Hopefully computer games and RPGs keep coming out

Maybe their spies at AMD provided them with production sample of Zen processor?

kopija

Watcher

April 20th, 2016, 19:55
Originally Posted by kopija View Post
Maybe their spies at AMD provided them with production sample of Zen processor?
LOL

Well, as far as I know, Intel dominated the server market to almost 100m % , is that right ? So, why not lay off unneeded workers there ? They can do whatever they want.

On the other hand, this move by Intel might be a plus for AMD, because it might help AMD a bit … But I'm not sure about that.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

April 20th, 2016, 20:00
Sorry but PC future never looked better.
Intel is just one wheel in the industry. Did PC die when Cyrix* merged with National Semiconductor which ended them being the third CPU manufacturer? No.

------------------------------------
* A very good read:
http://www.cnet.com/news/the-secret-…1000-computer/
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

April 21st, 2016, 01:30
Topic heading should read:

The end (of the PC) is nigh! - Again.

-kwm
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

kaos_war_monk

Sentinel

+1:

April 21st, 2016, 11:44
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Sorry but PC future never looked better.
Intel is just one wheel in the industry. Did PC die when Cyrix* merged with National Semiconductor which ended them being the third CPU manufacturer? No.
But Cyrix doesn't do PC processors anymore, as far as I know.

And, besides, Cyrix has always been a smaller fish than Intel.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

May 1st, 2016, 21:06
Smart phones are definitely replacing a lot of home PCs but so what? Were those people really playing the games we like to play?

Anyway, the ESA came out with its annual survey (mostly designed for marketing folks, I guess, don't expect to see a lot of methodology or chi squared tests)
http://essentialfacts.theesa.com/Ess…Facts-2016.pdf

Here's a nice little stat…
Top devices most frequent gamers use:
PC (56%), dedicated game console (53%), smartphone (36%), wireless device (31%), dedicated handheld system (17%)
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The end (of the PC) is nigh!