|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity II: DKS - Review @ GameBanshee

Default Divinity II: DKS - Review @ GameBanshee

December 19th, 2010, 07:54
GameBanshee has posted their review of the Dragon Knight Saga. There's no score as usual for them but the piece is generally positive:
The best part of the expansion pack is the quests, during which you get to do things like rescue a baby from a burning house, assist a chef so he can impress a food critic, and help three men who have been transformed into vegetables. Larian has always had a good eye for detail, and they're good at writing amusing dialogue, and so their quests are fun even when a lot of them involve well-worn objectives like going to a place and finding an item, or going to a place and killing something. As with Ego Draconis, there are also a lot of secret places and hidden objects to find, but because inventory objects now sparkle when they're on the ground, you don't search for keys so much as for buttons and levers. But the concept is the same, and so if you like carefully exploring places for secret prizes, then Flames of Vengeance is a rewarding game.

Less impressive is the combat. Since I couldn't import a character from Ego Draconis, I had to create a brand new level 35 character when I started Flames of Vengeance, and that character was weak to say the least (you don't get a weapon or jewelry or crafting recipes, and the small amount of money you start with isn't nearly enough to cover the losses). So I struggled early in the game, but then after gaining a couple of levels and getting my character squared away, everything got pretty easy, to the point where I never needed to quaff a potion during a fight. Part of the problem is that you receive something like 40 skill books during the course of the campaign, making character development sort of a joke, and the other problem is that combat is just too easy on the default difficulty setting. After playing through the campaign once, I can see why Larian added a "nightmare" difficulty setting in their most recent patch.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 19th, 2010, 07:54
I've been playing the Ego Draconis portion and having quite a lot of fun!

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

December 19th, 2010, 13:04
I put this aside ages ago to wait for the DKS improvements. Now that I'm playing this, it's ridiculously fun. I can't believe it doesn't get more talk - it deserves it.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 20th, 2010, 00:29
This review is not great. The reviewer trashed Ego Draconis when it first came out and he doesn't re-play that portion to determine if there was any improvement.

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

December 20th, 2010, 11:04
Only reason why i bought it was the name Divinity II and i had thought about it for a long time, but Everytime i was ready to buy it and watched som reviews, it was all talk about being and flying as a dragon. A part i felt looked desoriented and not at all fun. But i feel it isn't that bad and it isn't (as of yet) a big part of the game.

This game was a pleasent surprise.

mute

Sentinel

December 21st, 2010, 00:52
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
This review is not great. The reviewer trashed Ego Draconis when it first came out and he doesn't re-play that portion to determine if there was any improvement.
Very true. BN needs to stop paying for low budget reviewers, and pick up the baton.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 23rd, 2010, 20:13
So, I'm seeing this on sale at Amazon in digital distribution for $26.79 USD here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00…rd_i=979455011

Is it worth it for an Action RPG fan? From what I'm reading here it looks like it. I'm very tempted.

Cthulhufan

Watcher

December 23rd, 2010, 22:36
Originally Posted by Cthulhufan View Post
So, I'm seeing this on sale at Amazon in digital distribution for $26.79 USD here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00…rd_i=979455011

Is it worth it for an Action RPG fan? From what I'm reading here it looks like it. I'm very tempted.
Check Steam prices.
IMO it's a a good Action RPG. Actually it surpassed my expectations.

EDIT: You can download the demo and try it.
http://www.larian.com/
Last edited by Von Paulus; December 23rd, 2010 at 22:49.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

December 23rd, 2010, 23:00
Originally Posted by Von Paulus View Post
Check Steam prices.
IMO it's a a good Action RPG. Actually it surpassed my expectations.

EDIT: You can download the demo and try it.
http://www.larian.com/
Good call, same price on Steam plus some bonus armor. Downloading now

Cthulhufan

Watcher

December 27th, 2010, 04:28
OMG. This game is absolutely bad ass.

Great fun for the Action RPG fan, IMO, and pretty to boot.

I know it's a linear game but I am having an absolute blast exploring and surviving places where I should not be This is 100% what I needed to play right now.

Well worth the $25 USD entry fee.

Cthulhufan

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity II: DKS - Review @ GameBanshee