|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale - Announced

Default Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale - Announced

December 22nd, 2010, 14:49
Atari has announced a new D&D game, this time a downloadable, cross-platform, 4 way co-op, action/RPG. Here's the official press release they sent over:
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS TO MAKE CROSS PLATFORM CONSOLE GAME DEBUT WITH DUNGEONS & DRAGONS DAGGERDALE
Next Chapter of Celebrated Franchise to Conquer Xbox LIVE Arcade for Xbox 360, PlayStation®Network, and Windows PC Download in 2011

London, United Kingdom — December 22, 2010 — The Forgotten Realms are under attack by the evil Zhentarim, as the next generation of the most popular fantasy role-playing game launches another thrilling interactive adventure. Atari, one of the world’s most recognised publishers and producers of interactive entertainment and Bedlam Games announced today Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale. Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale marks the first digital download release for the franchise on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®Network, and Windows PC Download at Atari.com in Spring 2011.

Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale centers on the desperate struggle to defeat the evil Rezlus and his Zhentarim in their attempt to invade and conquer the Dalelands. Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale is an engaging multi-player experience that introduces a riveting narrative and treacherous new characters. Players are charged with the task of restoring order to Nentir Vale by unlocking the secrets of the Mines of Tethyamar, defeating the evil within the treacherous Tower of the Void, leading to the final confrontation with Rezlus himself.

Action-packed RPG gameplay allows for solo and co-op play for up to four players. Gamers use intuitive pick-up-and-play combat combined with a wide assortment of weapons, feats and powers to defeat a wide range of deadly enemies. Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale boasts an array of stunning levels and exploration opportunities set in the richly detailed environments.

“The Dungeons & Dragons franchise remains a priority for Atari as we continue to build upon the ever-evolving narrative with Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale” says Jim Wilson, President and CEO of Atari, Inc. “As the first D&D cross-platform digital download title we look forward to expanding the franchise to a growing gaming audience.”

“Wizards of the Coast is excited to offer another great Dungeons & Dragons play experience,” said Liz Schuh, Brand Director at Wizards of the Coast. “This exhilarating game will be a thrill for both current fans of the brand and new players alike.”

For more information, please log onto www.atari.com.
Watch the trailer at Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 22nd, 2010, 14:49
Sounds like a competion between them and that new Neverwinter game announced a while ago-online,multiplayer,co-op.

Gamers use intuitive pick-up-and-play combat combined with a wide assortment of weapons, feats and powers to defeat a wide range of deadly enemies.
Pick-up-and-play? I sense the start of a turn-base debate

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

December 22nd, 2010, 14:59
The fact that it offers solo play too at least makes it moderately interesting. I'm looking forward to more details.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 22nd, 2010, 15:07
It looks horrible.

Barghest

SasqWatch

December 22nd, 2010, 15:22
Its crazy Atari owns the right to the most advanced Combat Rules Set in gaming and they wont even use it … Why??? OH WAIT … ITS FOR XBOX that why they have the awsome buttons.

rich ruffo

Sentinel

December 22nd, 2010, 15:36
Originally Posted by rich ruffo View Post
Its crazy Atari owns the right to the most advanced Combat Rules Set in gaming…
D&D is many things, good things, but that is not one of them.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

December 22nd, 2010, 15:42
That trailer seems to show 99% pre-rendered scenes.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

December 22nd, 2010, 15:47
Party turn based, sophisticated, pauseable D+D ruleset with a million spells is not a good thing.

rich ruffo

Sentinel

December 22nd, 2010, 15:54
Originally Posted by rich ruffo View Post
Party turn based, sophisticated, pauseable D+D ruleset with a million spells is not a good thing.
Aren't you one of the people who incessantly complains about games becoming easier and more derptarded?

Dwagginz

Tea Addict

December 22nd, 2010, 16:10
As always i am excited about new D&D game.

But to say : “Wizards of the Coast is excited to offer another great Dungeons & Dragons play experience,”

I guess they are excited that they didnt manage to wreathe the licence back from Atari's hands.

And probably the D&D will die on its own merit (4ed) before that happens and another (good) company inherits the licence

Twotricks

Sentinel

December 22nd, 2010, 16:11
I get the feeling as if someone tries to use the (A)D&D license to get a success like Blizzard did …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

December 22nd, 2010, 16:15
Blizzard has never had anything to do with D&D, Alrik.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

December 22nd, 2010, 16:21
Without reading the text I guessed its a quick action game with light rpg elements.

Pick-up-and-play? Sounds like new exciting kind of gameplay.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

December 22nd, 2010, 16:25
And no where does it mention which edition of the rules they are using. Probably 4th. Bleh.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

December 22nd, 2010, 16:25
Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
I thought that at first, but I think he means they want cultural and financial success like Blizzard with WoW.

And no where does it mention which edition of the rules they are using. Probably 4th. Bleh.
Wouldn't make sense for them to use any other.

Dwagginz

Tea Addict

December 22nd, 2010, 16:58
First that I have heard of it and it is coming out in about 3 months? Either they are very good at keeping secrets while working on it for a while or this is a rush job that is going to be a stinker

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

December 22nd, 2010, 17:06
No telling about this really.

Still waiting on a proper 4thed game…or a Pathfinder-using one since they are apparently being largely cool about it and have an OGL dealie comparable to the one that allows for the likes of Knights of the Chalice….or I guess give it another year-3 and Incursion will be hopping along nicely.

getter77

Sentinel

December 22nd, 2010, 17:17
Yes, but they had Action-RPGs.

Besides, I decided to call "Dungeone & Dragons Dagger-Dale" just DDDD from now on.

Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
I thought that at first, but I think he means they want cultural and financial success like Blizzard with WoW.
Yes, that and since the press text about DDDD mentions "action", I was thinking of an online-co-op game like Blizzard's Action-RPGs.

I was thinking rather about this than of an MMO.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

December 22nd, 2010, 17:20
Originally Posted by redman5427 View Post
First that I have heard of it and it is coming out in about 3 months? Either they are very good at keeping secrets while working on it for a while or this is a rush job that is going to be a stinker
It's a downloadable title, so it's going to have a shorter turn around.

Dwagginz

Tea Addict

December 22nd, 2010, 17:28
Might be fun, I liked the trailer

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale - Announced