|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Two Worlds - Interview @ FiringSquad

Default Two Worlds - Interview @ FiringSquad

January 26th, 2007, 17:37
There is a brief interview of Two Worlds producer from Topware James Seaman over at Firing Squad . There are some details about combat and the origins of the game, with a decided emphasis on the goal of making it accessible for home console games to have an "immediately fun pick-up-and-play kind of experience."
FiringSquad: What can you tell us about the combat in Two Worlds?
James Seaman: With any role-playing game, combat is going to be a crucial part of the experience, so our goal is to create a way to make each battle interesting to the player. The way we’ve accomplished this is by having a combat [COLOR=#777799 ! important][COLOR=#777799 ! important]system[/COLOR][/COLOR] where you’re rewarded for doing “cool” things. For example, say you’re surrounded on all sides by four orcs. If you hack your way through them by button mashing, you’ll still get experience points, but not as many as if you tried to take them down in an interesting way. Say you attack the one in front of you, then performed a sweeping slash to strike one at your side and face the leader, at which point you tried to kick dirt in his eyes and temporarily blind him. By doing something like this, you’ll get a multiplier added to the experience points you’d earn.
More information.

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 26th, 2007, 17:37
nice read, still looking forward to this game, even though it started off with the bad omen of them wanting to develop a game for the home console… but heck, it looks better then any other rpg i've ever seen, and it they deliver on the content, then game on!

araczynski

Watcher

January 26th, 2007, 20:29
In the single-player game, you’re always going to be the same basic person. Our reasoning for this is so we could tailor the story around this central character. It wouldn’t be right to have someone compliment you on your rugged good looks if you’re playing a hideous orc, right?
Lost my interest, right there…

Sorcha Ravenlock

Sentinel

January 26th, 2007, 21:05
Originally Posted by Sorcha Ravenlock View Post
Lost my interest, right there…
Hehe … I figured that

That is a difficulty with RPG's in general - I have no problem as I have a number of archetypes I'll play (ok, 4 - male or female Paladin or Mage) so I generally end up OK.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 26th, 2007, 21:15
Gosh, at first reading, combat seems kinda like Mortal Kombat. Woe to us…

Working too much could interfere with your drinking.

r3dshift

Sentinel

January 26th, 2007, 22:15
"By doing something like this, you’ll get a multiplier added to the experience points you’d earn."

Didn't the first GTA game do that, where if you caused chain-explosions through cars you gained multipliers on the points ?

"En route, you’re attacked and one of your fellow party members (who also happens to be your sister) goes missing. You go in search of your sister, but get involved in a larger plot where you eventually have the fate of the world in your hands."
Gamesopt piece says"…a dead god, and the race is on to tap the hidden powers buried inside. And somehow, your character is discovered to be one of the few beings in the world with the ability to unlock those powers"

Anyone else left waiting for the words "Spawn of <insert god's name here>" to be used?

Mana Garmr

Watcher

Originally Posted by r3dshift View Post
Gosh, at first reading, combat seems kinda like Mortal Kombat. Woe to us…
Woe to you maybe, nothin wrong with mixing in some action with an RPG.

Cabezone

Watcher

"If you hack your way through them by button mashing, you’ll still get experience points, but not as many as if you tried to take them down in an interesting way. Say you attack the one in front of you, then performed a sweeping slash to strike one at your side and face the leader, at which point you tried to kick dirt in his eyes and temporarily blind him. By doing something like this, you’ll get a multiplier added to the experience points you’d earn."

This game screams "CONSOLE"

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 27th, 2007, 00:12
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
"If you hack your way through them by button mashing, you’ll still get experience points, but not as many as if you tried to take them down in an interesting way. Say you attack the one in front of you, then performed a sweeping slash to strike one at your side and face the leader, at which point you tried to kick dirt in his eyes and temporarily blind him. By doing something like this, you’ll get a multiplier added to the experience points you’d earn."

This game screams "CONSOLE"
perhaps, but if its gorgeous and fun AND has 100+ hours of potential content, then i'm all over it.

araczynski

Watcher

January 27th, 2007, 00:26
Originally Posted by araczynski View Post
perhaps, but if its gorgeous and fun AND has 100+ hours of potential content, then i'm all over it.
That's what my last gf said about me ! Boy did she regret it afterwards LOLZ !!

Cormac

Sentinel

January 27th, 2007, 00:27
Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
That's what my last gf said about me ! Boy did she regret it afterwards LOLZ !!
HA!!!!!

chamr

Mounted Highborn

January 29th, 2007, 11:23
The usual glorification. (Of course there must be a mention of Oblivion…except that there was a vast, huge area of the same boring forest. If you have incredible hot-like-hell deserts, and freezing-my-ass-off arctic and such then compare it to G3, bwah….)
Why don't they talk about the mounted combat? Absolutely the most (or probably the only) exciting point in the game for me. All the other stuff have already been done and done a hundred times.
The monsters look ridiculous.

lilithn

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Two Worlds - Interview @ FiringSquad