|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » White Wolf - Interview @ WoD News

Default White Wolf - Interview @ WoD News

January 24th, 2011, 10:57
White Wolf designer Eddy Webb has been interviewed at World of Darkness News - normally out of our purview at the moment but he makes some comments about Vampire: Bloodlines. Don't hold out for another CRPG for a while - at least until CCP gets the MMO out:
Q: Did you feel they captured the essence of the clans and their disciplines in Bloodlines? Why or why not?
EW> More or less. I feel that certain clans got a little more focus than others, but really itís hard to spread engaging content and design across seven different archetypes. Some of the fan mods, like the Clan Quest mod, do a great job in addressing stuff like that, though. However, like I said before, changing a property between mediums means that some things are just going to be lost. Mindís Eye Theatre disciplines, for example, arenít quite the same beast as their tabletop analogs, and powers that are great in tabletop just donít work well in LARP (or vice versa). I think the same is true for video games, and Bloodlines did a pretty good job in making the core of the disciplines feel accurate, even if individual powers werenít the same.
Q: Do you feel another Bloodlines type CRPG will ever be produced or started within the next several years?
EW> Honestly, single-player computer RPGs just arenít as common as they were a few years ago Ė many companies are converting their IPs into other genres or moving into the MMO space. Itís possible we might explore that space, sure, but certainly not in the next several years. We have this other Vampire computer game to make first.
Thanks, Harlequin!
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 24th, 2011, 10:57
When I think about this developer potentially making a new single-player RPG in the vein of Bloodlines, part of me wants to just tell them not to bother. Troika's work on Bloodlines was astoundingly brilliant and ambitious, and the design was nearly flawless in my opinion; measuring up to what Troika accomplished with Bloodlines would be a very difficult task. On the other hand, because Troika tragically no longer exists, a new Vampire: The Masquerade single-player RPG that is made by a different studio is better than not getting a new one at all.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch

January 24th, 2011, 16:51
Am I missing something, a link? Here's a link.

CCP worries me, they seem to only cater to the hardcore and pvp, both which keep populations extremely low in mmogs.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.
Last edited by Acleacius; January 24th, 2011 at 17:10.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

January 24th, 2011, 20:30
making niche products is not a bad thing. there are alot of mainstream products your sure to like. but i understand that your worried that an ip you like is being made into a game that doesnt cater to you.

Croesus

Traveler

January 25th, 2011, 08:27
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
When I think about this developer potentially making a new single-player RPG in the vein of Bloodlines, part of me wants to just tell them not to bother. Troika's work on Bloodlines was astoundingly brilliant and ambitious, and the design was nearly flawless in my opinion; measuring up to what Troika accomplished with Bloodlines would be a very difficult task. On the other hand, because Troika tragically no longer exists, a new Vampire: .
agree bloodlines was near flawless. But lets not forget that troika also gave us "the temple of elemental evil" one of the worst let downs in CRPG history IMO.

elco

Traveler

January 25th, 2011, 13:55
Originally Posted by elco View Post
But lets not forget that troika also gave us "the temple of elemental evil" one of the worst let downs in CRPG history IMO.
Huh? ToEE had some issues, especially at release, but turned out to be a pretty decent crpg imo.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 25th, 2011, 14:10
Originally Posted by elco View Post
agree bloodlines was near flawless. But lets not forget that troika also gave us "the temple of elemental evil" one of the worst let downs in CRPG history IMO.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » White Wolf - Interview @ WoD News