Divinity II: DKS - X360 Patch

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Are console patches called "title updates" to make them sound better? Anyway, the X360 version of DKS has been updated:
Just log into Xbox Live and you'll be prompted for your update. The update fixes the following:

-Fix: the game no longer freezes during the Sassan summoning scene
-Fix: NPC characters can no longer disappear
-Fix: various cut-scene/dialog issues have been addressed
-Fix: various story and gameplay/balancing issues have been addressed
-Fix: no longer able to start a new game before the character model is loaded in
-Feature: by popular demand, a Nightmare difficulty mode has been added to provide players with the ultimate challenge!
More information.

Are console patches called "title updates" to make them sound better?

Yes. Everyone's used to getting software updates all the time, so I suppose they think that "update" sounds better than "patch." "Patching" means something has been torn or busted and needs repair. "Updating" means you're getting something new and improved. At least that's what the marketing people hope.

IBM used to call their very first patches for OS/2 just "Fixpacks".

I still remember the buckts full of malice emptied over them : "Hey, they need patches ??? Bruahaha, Microsoft is a thousand times better because they DON'T need them !!!!!!!!!!" In this sense.

And then, later, only a few years later, Microsoft named their OS patches "servicepacks" …

Microsoft was always better at marketing than at anything else …

Microsoft was always better at marketing than at anything else …

Yeah, but I'm sure Sony is doing the same. This is Marketing 101. You don't communicate to your customers that the product you sold them is broken and in need of repair. The image that the word "patch" brings to mind (my mind, anyhow) is a tire with a leak in it. That's not a real smart message, from a business point of view.

Back
Top Bottom