Avadon - Released on Mac

I have been waiting for this game for a long time. When I first saw that the demo had been released I really were excited, only to discover with a disappointment that it's only for Mac for now. It seems I have to wait some more time.

I've always thought Spiderweb games are great RPGs with great gameplay, but graphics has always been the downside of them. It seems this game will fill the gap between graphics and gameplay, and carry Spiderweb games to the Fallout or Arcanum graphics level.

I have been waiting for this game for a long time. When I first saw that the demo had been released I really were excited, only to discover with a disappointment that it's only for Mac for now. It seems I have to wait some more time.

I've always thought Spiderweb games are great RPGs with great gameplay, but graphics has always been the downside of them. It seems this game will fill the gap between graphics and gameplay, and carry Spiderweb games to the Fallout or Arcanum graphics level.

I'm not sure about that, at least not by the screens I have seen.

I just downloaded the demo and played around with it for about twenty minutes. It seems pretty much exactly like all his other games, with a minor bump in graphics. It looks OK, but nothing special.

From the small bit of what I've seen, you don't create a whole party, but choose companions like Mass Effect or Dragon Age. Works for me. The game play seems almost exactly the same from what I remember of the other games of his I've played. I did notice that there's quest goal markers on the map, at least for the one beginning quest I started. I'm actually fine with that, though most folks here will probably hate it.

One thing that's always bugged me about these games is that everything seems to take place in gigantic, mostly empty rooms. Even the very beginning of the first prison dungeon you go in is a series of enormous chambers.

I don't know if I'll buy it or not, but so far it looks like if you liked the old Spiderweb games, you'll like this.

This is definitely my favorite Spiderweb game. He has done an excellent job modernizing things, adjusting balance, and making major battles memorable. I had planned a 'day 1' review, but wasn't sure if he'd make the 28th target and didn't want to jump the gun ... look for a review (at GearDiary) from me in the coming days :)

The graphics look pretty good for this type of indie. Dont mind map markers so much.Hows the character creation ? Playing Eschalon Books getting ready for Black Fortress.

I need to dig into it more to comment more.

My other impression based on the intro and some beginning stuff is that this is a little darker in tone than the previous games, though I only played some of the Avernum and earlier fantasy games, never Geneforge. I'm far from an expert on Spiderweb games. Never even finished one.

This is definitely my favorite Spiderweb game. He has done an excellent job modernizing things, adjusting balance, and making major battles memorable. I had planned a 'day 1' review, but wasn't sure if he'd make the 28th target and didn't want to jump the gun … look for a review (at GearDiary) from me in the coming days :)

I'm waiting for your review. Don't forget to post it on our news page. :)

I'm not sure about that, at least not by the screens I have seen.

Tiles looks a bit more detailed and UI seems more professional (I don't like the previous Spiderweb games cartoonish character portraits and buttons.) according to the screenshots I have seen. Maybe small changes but it's important for me.

Really like the way the castle looks ! Looking forward to your review.

This is definitely my favorite Spiderweb game. He has done an excellent job modernizing things, adjusting balance, and making major battles memorable. I had planned a 'day 1' review, but wasn't sure if he'd make the 28th target and didn't want to jump the gun … look for a review (at GearDiary) from me in the coming days :)

Please let me know, Mike, so I don't miss it.

How long till the windows version comes out?

edit: nm I read your 3 month estimate. What a long time to wait. Guess I will just have finish Drakensang River of Time ;)

Are there walking animations or does everyone move like a stick figure still like Avernum?

This looks pretty good, and I'd probably buy it if it was available for PC.

Looks good although it has a high "seen that before" feeling.
Nevertheless, i am gonna buy it for 2 reasons (good game and supporting the indies).

Edit:
25 dollar (19 euro) is quite a alot for an indie (with a copy paste base from the previous games).

I'm wary of these indies after purchasing Eschalon Book 2. I know some here really like it, but I find it really boring and repetitive in game play.

It's quite an achievement for an independent to make, don't get me wrong... I appreciate the work and care that went into it. I just found it boring and repetitive after a couple hours. And certainly not worth $25.

Back
Top Bottom