|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Drakensang: TRoT - Review @ Armchair Empire

Default Drakensang: TRoT - Review @ Armchair Empire

March 12th, 2011, 03:13
I haven't linked the Armchair Empire for years but they've kicked up a Drakensang: The River of Time review, which is a nice change from all the Dragon Age 2 stuff. The score is 7/10 and the intro explains their view:
Here's an RPG that slipped onto the market without much fan fair. Although it's not all that surprising, given the sordid history of the game's developer who almost went under recently, and has since made a heavy shift towards browser games. In any case, what we have here is a prequel to the well-received Drakensang. The River of Time provides an entertain, albeit very traditional, adventure in a fantasy setting with some solid tactical battles making for a decent game. What holds it back from being truly great, however, is the game's lack of polish thanks to poor animation, choppy frame rates, and some sub-standard voice acting.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 12th, 2011, 03:13
So i assume their average is 5/10?

Damian Mahadevan

Keeper of the Watch

March 12th, 2011, 07:53
Lack of polish? Choppy framerates? I've played both this game and the original on a 3-year old machine and was actually very impressed by the speed in wich the world is rendered. Also, I found the scenes very beautifully designed. A lot of eye for detail in cities and along riverbanks etc.

Zerotown

Watchdog

March 12th, 2011, 09:01
I still want to play it, but I can't find it!

human_male

Math and girls is hard.

March 12th, 2011, 09:14
Originally Posted by human_male View Post
I still want to play it, but I can't find it!
Have you checked GamersGate and other digital distribution sites, or were you hoping to find a physical copy? GamersGate is selling it for $20 USD, if you're interested in a digital version.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch

March 12th, 2011, 13:25
Played the game and found it rather good actuely. Shorter then the original but better overall. Worth its money i think.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

March 12th, 2011, 14:04
fan fair
Quality journalism from the start.

KapitanUnterhosen

Sentinel

March 12th, 2011, 15:26
I cant find it on gamersgate. Is it region locked? I would surely buy it if i could found the first game fun and rewarding.

mute

Sentinel

March 12th, 2011, 15:32
At GamersGate, I can only find this
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DRAKEN/…eye-drakensang

This seems to be original (ok, not the so original) game, but the last game before The River of Time.

PS: Does any of you know if the Dutch version has English manual and English speak and subtitles. It is for me, I'm asking on behalf of one of the members of Gameboomers.
Here's the thread: http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubb…tml#Post706608

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

March 12th, 2011, 17:10
Aries100: I googled after the game and then google found it on gamersgate. Searching gamersgate or browsing gamersgate won't show it.

http://se.gamersgate.com/DD-DSROT/dr…-river-of-time

EDIT!
However, gamersgate tells me it is not available in your region.

I will like to kill this region thing. I do not understand it. Its so stupid.
I won't pirate it but i understand why people do.

mute

Sentinel

March 12th, 2011, 17:34
Now that I played the game I can comment. It was ok; but I never really got into it. In a very crude way it reminded me a little of storm of zehir but much better done.
-
I didn't have any of the issues mentioned in the blurb above; 'cept the voice acting which was quite horrible in english - i hear it is much better in german.
-
I actually preferred the first game a bit; as this one never really did grab me. Also given the compaigns the game supply there is really only one bucket for the main character (I'm glad I chose wisely but I almost went with another type which woudl have been a huge mistake) (obviously i'm not providing details that might spoil for those who have not played).
-
I think I would score the game somewhere between 6 and 7; not because there is a flaw persey; just because at the end of the day it never really grab me. I never got excited as the game advanced; not real climax or 'wow' moment.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

March 12th, 2011, 17:37
Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
PS: Does any of you know if the Dutch version has English manual and English speak and subtitles. It is for me, I'm asking on behalf of one of the members of Gameboomers.
Here's the thread: http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubb…tml#Post706608
I'm 99% sure about this because the Dutch usually get UK versions. If you need confirmation you should post in other recent DraSa:TRoT threads too.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

March 12th, 2011, 17:38
Originally Posted by mute View Post
Aries100: I googled after the game and then google found it on gamersgate. Searching gamersgate or browsing gamersgate won't show it.

http://se.gamersgate.com/DD-DSROT/dr…-river-of-time

EDIT!
However, gamersgate tells me it is not available in your region.

I will like to kill this region thing. I do not understand it. Its so stupid.
I won't pirate it but i understand why people do.
Thank you for this.

I don't understand why it isn't available in my region as I live in Denmark, and the website is - Swedish. To you think that this product, Drakensang, could be available in the UK.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch

March 12th, 2011, 19:24
All digital download retailers that offer this (GamersGate, Steam and Amazon) have it region-locked to North America only. I don't understand it either, but I don't understand anything about this game's international release.

The Dutch version is a full English-language release: English box, English manual (90 pages), English game. It is bizarre that they translated and printed the manuals yet never released this retail version outside of the Benelux.

I don't understand why it isn't available in my region as I live in Denmark, and the website is - Swedish. To you think that this product, Drakensang, could be available in the UK.
Digital Download retailers are not responsible for region release, though some are lazier at it than others (I'm looking at you, Direct2Drive). The whole idea of region locking as well as staggered releasing is archaic and I have no idea why publishers cling to it. It's stupid.

Also, the game is not available in the UK. The mind boggles at this, but it's true. They can order it retail from a Benelux webshop, but that's it.

Brother None

SasqWatch

March 12th, 2011, 19:53
All digital download retailers that offer this (GamersGate, Steam and Amazon) have it region-locked to North America only. I don't understand it either, but I don't understand anything about this game's international release.
But it is unlocked for me on GamersGate and I am from European Union.

Also Drakensang: The Dark Eye is 50% off at GamersGate

Dark Savant

Sentinel

March 12th, 2011, 20:56
Originally Posted by Zerotown View Post
Lack of polish? Choppy framerates? I've played both this game and the original on a 3-year old machine and was actually very impressed by the speed in wich the world is rendered. Also, I found the scenes very beautifully designed. A lot of eye for detail in cities and along riverbanks etc.
I had exactly the same thought.

I can only image that the reviewer had the game's screen resolution set as different from his desktop screen resolution.

Plus, the game seems to have problems with SLI and/or its AMD equivalent.

Edit : I'm currently reading through it, and it sounds much more positive than the snipped might imply, imho.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 12th, 2011, 21:13
@ Brother None. Thank you for your kind help. I have now forwarded your kind answer to the member of Gameboomers that's asked this question. Thanks again

aries100

SasqWatch

March 12th, 2011, 21:24
The release of this game seems like a total, unadulterated mess.

human_male

Math and girls is hard.

March 12th, 2011, 21:37
I tend to agree. I could never make out a distinct publishing "system" behind it.

And because of the total lack of resonable deductions to his, the only explanation I have for this mess is this : No-one wants to publish it.
Either that, or dtp wants too much money for selling the national publishing rights.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 12th, 2011, 22:10
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
The Dutch version is a full English-language release: English box, English manual (90 pages), English game. It is bizarre that they translated and printed the manuals yet never released this retail version outside of the Benelux.
It's bizarre and very frustrating. I was hoping to enventually be able to get a retail copy of this game without having to order it from the Netherlands.

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Drakensang: TRoT - Review @ Armchair Empire