|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Do you abstain from paying $60 for PC games?

Default Do you abstain from paying $60 for PC games?

March 18th, 2011, 19:08
With two major PC titles in the past few months, SC2 & DA2, having an introductory list price of $60, do you personally choose to refrain from paying this amount on general principle?

Console games have long been $60 but that price includes a $10 licensing fee paid to the console manufacturer. In my opinion, there is no point beyond greed to pass on this same surcharge to PC gamers.

So, do you choose to wait it out or buy a $60 game immediately?

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

March 18th, 2011, 19:10
Heck, I will rarely buy a game that's more than $20, much less $60!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

March 18th, 2011, 19:13
New games in Sweden go for $111.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

March 18th, 2011, 19:21
Sure. I pay $11 to see a movie that lasts an hour and a half. I generally average at least 30 hours in a game, so it's much more bang for the buck than a movie. Games are still cheap.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

March 18th, 2011, 19:32
I rarely go to movies. I find few worth the time (and money) spent.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

March 18th, 2011, 19:37
Inflation should have made games way more than $60 by now… I have no problem paying that much for a quality game.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

March 18th, 2011, 19:41
If I think the game is worth supporting, I don't really care. As long as it's within a common sense range.

I paid around 100$ for Dominions 3 - for instance, thinking it was worth it and I wanted to support the developers.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get into it - but I don't regret the purchase.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

March 18th, 2011, 20:02
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
Inflation should have made games way more than $60 by now… I have no problem paying that much for a quality game.
I remember when Ultima VI came out, Origin originally tried to bump the price up to $69.99. That was 1990. It seems like games have hit a bit of a ceiling between $49-59. I remember the Sierra games costing $35, but most of the Origin ones starting out at $49.

Personally, I have no problem paying ~$50 for a quality game, its just that I'm so backlogged on games, that by the time I get around to buying them, they are on sale for $9.99 to $14.99. My wife bought my Civ V for my birthday last year, so I assume that she paid full boat for it, but other than that, the last game I probably paid that much for was BG2.

That said, if they made a new IE game with joinable party members, I'd gladly rush out and pay $59.99 on day one!

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

March 18th, 2011, 20:07
I very seldom buy $60.00 games these days not because of the lack of value but because I've put a three month minimum don't buy rule on myself.

Strictly for having been burned on so many games over the years that just weren't ready for release when they first hit, recent games this rule saved me from were Elemental and Diciples3 and it was hard to hold myself back on these two having been very pumped over both, but in the end glad I did.

And in doing this I do end up with games that have been all patched up or a new version of the game comes out(Div2 DKS, Witcher:Enhanced Edition) and in some cases all DLC's added(Fallout3 GotY Edition, Dragon Age Ultimate Edition)and the ironic part about it all is most of the time I get these new and improved games for a lot less than the original price.

Warmark

Sentinel

March 18th, 2011, 20:45
I spent 69.99 for Might and Magic 7 when it was brand new. I kinda was annoyed, but that was that I guess.

Nowadays, I would never spend that kind of money on a game. And with the price points creeping back up there with 59.99 being EA's new thing, well, gaming can go to hell. The $27 I spent on DKS was well spent, though.
Last edited by darkling; March 18th, 2011 at 23:33.

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

March 18th, 2011, 21:08
$60 seems like a reasonable price for a game to me.

BadYeti

Watcher

March 18th, 2011, 21:15
Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
I remember when Ultima VI came out, Origin originally tried to bump the price up to $69.99. That was 1990. It seems like games have hit a bit of a ceiling between $49-59. I remember the Sierra games costing $35, but most of the Origin ones starting out at $49.
There were a lot of games in the old days that were more than $50. Pretty much any game with FMV was more expensive when CD gaming started. I was looking through my box for Under a Killing Moon the other day and noticed a catalog inside which shows it as costing $79.99. A lot of SNES games, especially RPGs, were $70 or more. Blizzard and id have been charging $60 for a while now, before the Xbox 360 even came out.

So… $60 is not some shock to me.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

March 18th, 2011, 23:13
I don't but probably should. I'm staring at about 100 games on my bookshelf all paid full price since late 90's. Of them i've finished baulders gate series, icewind dale series(several times),neverwinter nights series, toee and fear 1. Started most of them several times over and over and plyed them for many hours but, can never seem to finish them.

sakichop

SasqWatch

March 18th, 2011, 23:34
60$ IF the game is good. But given the current state of RPG's these days, no game is worth 60 bucks.

Two months ago I got this baby for 20$ in a shop from my town. Now this is a real deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dunge…487547&sr=1-14

bloodlover

Sentinel

March 18th, 2011, 23:40
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
There were a lot of games in the old days that were more than $50. Pretty much any game with FMV was more expensive when CD gaming started. I was looking through my box for Under a Killing Moon the other day and noticed a catalog inside which shows it as costing $79.99. A lot of SNES games, especially RPGs, were $70 or more. Blizzard and id have been charging $60 for a while now, before the Xbox 360 even came out.
Yep, I definitely remember paying $60-$70 for games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3 for the SNES. In fact, the original Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System was around $70 when it was first released.

For me, it depends a lot on the genre. I have no problem paying $60+ for a decent RPG. On the other hand, a pure shooter would have to be exceptional for me to pay that much.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 18th, 2011, 23:47
I don't abstain. But the game must be very special.
Usually,that's what I pay for flight/combat sims. But there's a great replaybility with that genre.
I'd pay $70 for BG3.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

March 19th, 2011, 02:26
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
Two months ago I got this baby for 20$ in a shop from my town. Now this is a real deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dunge…487547&sr=1-14
WOW! Is that for real?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

March 19th, 2011, 03:37
For games that I think I will really like, I will pay full price without thinking twice. Games that are so-so I will wait until the price drops. How far the game's price has to drop depends on the game.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

March 19th, 2011, 03:52
Price is pretty irrelevant to me (within reason). My time is worth a lot. I'm happy to pay $60 for a game that is worth my time and, likewise, I don't care how cheap a mediocre game is - I have better things to do.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 19th, 2011, 04:12
Wait a month or two, and it drops twenty bucks. Nope, other than Piranha Bytes games, I don't buy on release if it's more than $39.

ecliptic

Traveler

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Do you abstain from paying $60 for PC games?