|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeon Siege 3 - Lucas Trailer

Default Dungeon Siege 3 - Lucas Trailer

April 4th, 2011, 15:46
Destructoid has a Dungeon Siege 3 trailer showcasing the Lucas Montbarren swordsman character.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 4th, 2011, 15:46
More info on him here : http://www.dungeonsiege.com/characters-lucas.php

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 4th, 2011, 16:17
From everything I've seen so far, I've only been given the impression that this is simply another hack&slash action-rpg. Am I missing something?

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 4th, 2011, 16:54
Obsidian turned Dungeon Siege into a Dark Alliance clone with guns!

DS have always been hack&slash action-rpgs, DS3 just look…worst.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

April 4th, 2011, 17:00
This game is gonna fail. It's just a bad marriage. Obsidian isn't known for making twitch-fests, they're known for character interaction and lore. DS2 was pretty twitchy but had a good story too. Even if DS3 has a story, they're marketing it purely as a twitcher, and that is just a terrible decision. Each trailer screams DON'T BUY in glaring stupidity.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

April 4th, 2011, 19:26
Somebody have been watching too many Nolan movies.

hishadow

Level N+1

April 4th, 2011, 19:32
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
This game is gonna fail. It's just a bad marriage. Obsidian isn't known for making twitch-fests, they're known for character interaction and lore. DS2 was pretty twitchy but had a good story too. Even if DS3 has a story, they're marketing it purely as a twitcher, and that is just a terrible decision. Each trailer screams DON'T BUY in glaring stupidity.
Really? I'm actually looking forward to the game and I haven't seen a reason not to. Not that I'm expecting some sort perfect game, I'm actually thinking that it'll be a good action rpg with a story. Which is quite fine with me.

Oh, and it'S from Obsidian, so I'm even less worried that I won't get my moneys worth out of the game.

Roi Danton

Sentinel

April 4th, 2011, 20:25
Roi did you play the first two DS games? Somebody asked who was the market for the game on the official DSIII forums. Although, I'm sure the game will have a good story.

I'm not sure what happened to game developers, we get lots of RPG sequels this year and all of them got "revamped" gameplay.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

April 4th, 2011, 22:48
Yes, I played Dungeon Siege 1 a lot and really liked it. Didn't play Dungeon Siege 2 though, mostly because I didn't like the demo. I do have a hard copy lying around somewhere I believe, I just hadn't had the motivation and time to play it.

And yes, I hope the story is good. That's why I'm gonna buy the game. That and the gun wielding, aggressive looking lady we saw a few trailers back.

Roi Danton

Sentinel

April 4th, 2011, 23:31
I was being dramatic I plan on getting DS3 too, but I will kinda wait a bit and see what folks here are saying. I will say the trailers have made me decide to wait, where before I saw the footage, I was willing to just buy on my faith in Obsidian.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

April 5th, 2011, 09:22
I'm buying it… got me release-day shipping pre-order in on amazon already. I expect an action RPG with Obsidian's amazing story style and I have little doubt it will disappoint.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

April 5th, 2011, 18:26
The interview with George Ziets on Gamebanshee convinced me that this will be at least worth a look. Even if there is the unusual philosophical marriage of developer with this relatively forgettable IP, I'm interested to see what Obsidian can do with this new engine of theirs and will read the 'Watch poster reviews curiously.

Surely it'll fill the void nicely for some people who are keenly awaiting Diablo III and who also don't mind some solid story telling on top of that, which Obsidian should deliver on.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

April 5th, 2011, 18:40
Originally Posted by Roi Danton View Post
And yes, I hope the story is good. That's why I'm gonna buy the game. That and the gun wielding, aggressive looking lady we saw a few trailers back.
I see that I'm not the only one who think that the gun using Lady is the best character so far. Magical bullets FTW! The Archon and Lucas just look, blah. I have not idea what is the 4th class/character though…

Personally, I'm waiting to see if the game is only worth it for Coop. I don't play coop games.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

April 5th, 2011, 19:21
Originally Posted by Roi Danton View Post
Really? I'm actually looking forward to the game and I haven't seen a reason not to.
The mob look idle on the trailers etc… Sitting there to allow the hero to unleash his/her powers.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

April 6th, 2011, 10:51
Haven't really followed the game. But there hasn't been an Obsidian game yet, that I didn't like in some way. Even the horribly flawed Alpha Protocol had its merits.

I also loved Dungeon Siege 2.

I see nothing, as of yet, that will keep me away from this game - but I think I will wait for reviews. Alpha Protocol made me too sceptical.

And I'm still sitting in my corner, crying about the Aliens RPG we'll never see.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 6th, 2011, 11:08
I maintain that Alpha Protocol was awesome.

Except for the bugs and that horrid chekpoint saves thing.

Roi Danton

Sentinel

April 6th, 2011, 12:41
I think most of us have realistic expectations for this. Yes, it's a hack'n'slasher - exactly what are people expecting from the trailers? But the "marketing" has been pretty clear there's a modest RPG layer, so that elevates it up to not-the-greatest-RPG-ever-but-possibly-a-fun-romp.

George Ziets rules.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 6th, 2011, 15:36
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
The mob look idle on the trailers etc… Sitting there to allow the hero to unleash his/her powers.
One of the devs discussed this on another forum and he admitted that it does look a bit strange in trailers but said that it really doesn't feel like the mobs are idle when you are actually playing the game aside from the beginning tutorial areas.

I think he does have a point, some other gameplay vids (there were some on gamespot if I recall) has quite a lot of stuff going on, projectiles flying, mobs attacking and so forth. It certainly looked pretty busy there.

Starwars

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeon Siege 3 - Lucas Trailer