|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Driftmoon - Alpha 4 Released

Default Driftmoon - Alpha 4 Released

April 6th, 2011, 07:05
Driftmoon, a top-down indie we haven't paid enough attention to, has reached Alpha 4. You can access the Alpha by preordering and here's the accompanying press release (hit up the site for a trailer and details):
Driftmoon Alpha 4 has been released.
More info: http://www.instantkingdom.com/
Driftmoon Alpha 4!
April 4th, 2011 by Ville

A new version of Driftmoon approaches! In fact, itís already here! As before, preorderers can access it on the secret download page. If you havenít preordered yet, you can still get your copy for 20% off!

The most visible change is the improved plot, with the addition of the new starting level. It gives the game a much more fleshed out background story, along with a better idea of what the game is about.

The new talent system is worth mentioning, with many unique combat skills and passive talents. Iíve been playing with the more advanced combat skills, and fighting the nasties has definitely become more interesting. There are critical hits, evasive maneuvers, various skills that affect groups of enemies. My favourite is the Arrow Rain Mastery, which reminds me of the legendary triple crossbow in Ultima.

Iíve also noticed the new random object system makes the game a lot more replayable. Since I have to replay it two times every week, I say itís great!

Game changelog:

» A new level in the start of the game.
» Full Talent tree.
» Recipes can be used to create new items with ingredients.
» Shops.
» Quick Travel. Traveling in Driftmoon was very fast anyway, but this makes it even better.
» Improved terrain and plant graphics.
» Critical hits. Take that, you evil undead monster!
» Enabled VSync by default, for smoother graphics and less CPU usage.
» You can now pick up an Astrolabe to tell the time. Thereís a quest that needs you to know the time, so itís even partially useful!
» Improved texture caching, requires less video memory. Youíll see it as a faster load time when changing levels.
» Feedback button. You can now send feedback directly from the game.
» Stealing prompt. The game now asks if you really want to steal from someone.
The game also supports modding and a changelog was sent over but was a bit long for inclusion on the news page.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 6th, 2011, 07:05
um… whoa! That looks really nice actually, I was quite surprised. And now interested. Nice visuals and some old school RPG goodness is what I gather from the trailer.

mbuddha

Watchdog

April 6th, 2011, 07:08
Its not that bad, its quite good actually, just dont go in expeting dialog trees that make a difference.

Damian Mahadevan

Keeper of the Watch

April 6th, 2011, 13:54
It does look pretty good but that perspective kills it IMO. Its a 3D engine. Why on earth wouldn't they go isometric?

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

April 6th, 2011, 16:09
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
It does look pretty good but that perspective kills it IMO. Its a 3D engine. Why on earth wouldn't they go isometric?
This. I'll never understand why anyone would choose the top down stuff if they have more than basic garphics (ala Deskop Dungeons).

Roi Danton

Sentinel

April 6th, 2011, 19:14
I was thinking the same thing. If it's 3D why not have a different perspective, but I assumed there was some unknown limitation. Anyways it's unique and I'll have to play it to see if I like it or not.

mbuddha

Watchdog

April 6th, 2011, 21:18
What in the world were they thinking with that awkward perspective? Hopefully the camera angles are controllable by holding down a button while moving the mouse.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

April 7th, 2011, 05:54
I think the answer is simple: graphical resources. It's an indie game - this makes the art easier. I could be wrong but I don't see that it's that big a deal.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 7th, 2011, 18:37
The perspective is a conscious decision. Peanut put it well in this comment:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011…iler/#comments
"This looks great. I actually quite like the top-down perspective Ė the graphics style is strong and clear, and I think the perspective will make interacting with mouse much easier. No need to rotate the camera to select obscured objects."

Of course I know the perspective takes a bit of getting used to, but it does suit Driftmoon well, and makes it easy to control.

Traveler

April 7th, 2011, 18:44
A pure top down perspective actually can obscure objects like recessed doors if it's not done right. We'll see…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Driftmoon - Alpha 4 Released