|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - "Very Special Edition" for EU, AU, NZ

Default Deus Ex: Human Revolution - "Very Special Edition" for EU, AU, NZ

April 19th, 2011, 22:36
Wow, Australia and New Zealand mentioned for a limited edition… Joystiq has news of a "Very Special Edition" of Deus Ex: Human Revolution for Europe, AU and NZ. You'll get an Adam Jensen figurine, "Making of" DVD with soundtrack and more:
The "very limited" iteration of Deus Ex comes packed with a "highly collectable" figure of protagonist Adam Jensen, the "Explosive Mission Pack" (which is also part of GameStop's pre-order incentive), a smattering of in-game weapons, 10,000 extra in-game credits, a "making of" DVD and soundtrack, and a 40-page art book. How much will all that "very limited" stuff cost you? Square's not saying just yet, though pricing and specifics on availability will be made clear "closer to launch."
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 19th, 2011, 22:36
10,000 extra in-game credits? You get extra money in the game? What a weird incentive.

Grandor Dragon

SasqWatch

April 19th, 2011, 22:56
No figure in the US SE, but I don't really care much. What I do dislike is that the bonus mission that comes in the SE was made a Gamestop exclusive in the US. That's a bunch of bullshit, frankly. Story content should not be held ransom at one store and you can bet your ass I'll be "pirating" that mission.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

April 19th, 2011, 23:20
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
Story content should not be held ransom at one store and you can bet your ass I'll be "pirating" that mission.
I agree. By doing that, they are also being dishonest with people who paid for the game. So it's an eye for an eye…..

Von Paulus

Sentinel

April 20th, 2011, 06:15
Damn, what more can eidos screw up and have even had a hit (a really good game) in the last couple of years? They game would probably already be completed, out and under budget if they hadn't spent massive amounts of money on cutscenes.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

April 20th, 2011, 08:04
I really hate getting extra armor, weapons or cash in DLC's or special editions of games, it would be one thing if there was extra quest(s) getting it, that i could perhaps pay extra for. It's not like magically appearing extra cash or armor makes the game more fun in an RPG, it's the opposite.

vurt

Serial Modderer

April 20th, 2011, 09:11
I hate this marketing bullshit.

Still want the game, though.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 20th, 2011, 12:30
I fear we'll see much, much more of this trend in the future.

My worse fear, though, is that the recent examples are only "test-runs" whether this in-game extra stuff actually works and if it is accepted by the fans - or by the buyers in general.

A conspiracy theory would be that the companies are currently "training" or "educating" the fans towards that …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 20th, 2011, 13:18
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
I really hate getting extra armor, weapons or cash in DLC's or special editions of games, it would be one thing if there was extra quest(s) getting it, that i could perhaps pay extra for. It's not like magically appearing extra cash or armor makes the game more fun in an RPG, it's the opposite.
I agree 100%. I've been complaining about that kind of extra content since DA:O. I guess it appeals to loot whores, but I'd much rather have my character obtain items in a logical way in-game.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 20th, 2011, 13:48
"Bonus" items for pre-order/collector editions have existed since the 90s (Baldur's Gate 2 had that store).

But now all the rage is to turn every games, including SP games, into game with "cash shop". That's where the money is, in making people pay $2 for a digital sword.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

April 20th, 2011, 22:20
Since I much prefer download editions to avoid the hassle of actual discs, this is a no-buy for me anyway.

Regarding the larger issue of extra content for extra money, I would guess that it makes more sense to expend all effort on the game they will sell to the majority of buyers rather than diverting energy on a game to be sold only to a minority of compulsive game 'collectors', in particular since reviews will probably be written for the 'normal', 'non-collectible' edition. Obviously, whatever cool weapons they leave out of the standard version in order to put them into the more expensive one, diminishes the value of a large fraction of the games sold. Is this really worth it?

At this point, I am probably going to buy the game unless some early reviews change my mind, but others might be more sceptical or not as generous. On the other hand, the developers seem to be cool, so unless the publisher is arm-wrestling them I am somewhat confident that they are not going to overdo it here.

coyote

Sentinel

April 21st, 2011, 11:28
Deus Ex 3 isn't the first nor last game to do this marketing dance. It would be dishonest to hold this garbage against the game.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx

PegasusOrgans

Watchdog
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - "Very Special Edition" for EU, AU, NZ