The Witcher 2 - Interview @ TWV

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CD Projekt's Tomasz Gop has been interviewed at The Witcher Vault, following a press presentation. Here's a snip on new topic:
WV: Ok, let's switch topics a bit; about a year ago we've heard about wiping out whole lairs of monsters in certain areas, ending their threat (and respawn). Curiously enough, no previewers seem to mention that feature?
Tomasz Gop: Oh it's still there, I can assure you! You still can wipe out Nekkers in Flotsam, or Harpies in Act II...
WV: Is it done the way you've told us earlier, i.e. you catch a monster, pump it full of some marker substance, then leave it and follow it to its lair...?
Tomasz Gop: Let's leave the specifics to the players, shall we? I can already tell you though that we've left the complexity there. It's done in a properly "witchery" manner, suffice it to say! Those are quests that take hours to finish, and it will take a lot of preparations, then there's a final, most difficult fight at the end with the lair's boss.
More information.

The monster bit is interesting. It reminds me of some of the Might&Magic games, only that the scale is smaller. In Might&Magic 4 (IIRC) you could make monsters disappear from the face of the continent, even in level 1. I didn't like it that much. In Witcher 2, the eradication seems to be limited to certain cities, making it more realistic.

That sort of quests seems good for Hardcore fans, as soon as they aren't mandatory from any point of view, not even giving a significant lead in xp/level.

I didn't like much the respawn in The Witcher but the difference of respawn between day and night was a nice touch. Also even if I'm against any respawn the point is no respawn at all isn't the perfect solution, it generates desert area, it doesn't give margin to players about xp and level. I think The Witcher 1 could have temper a bit more the respawn to delay it longer.

I quote the alchemy approach, so there's an alchemy system but you don't craft yourself but ask some professional do it for you when you bring resources and money to pay them. That remind me some debate about DA2 crafting system. For me it's a good approach but I think I'll keep my preferences on this point to DA2 system.

Back
Top Bottom