|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Daggerdale - Trailer @ IGN

Default Daggerdale - Trailer @ IGN

March 23rd, 2011, 22:38
IGN has an "announcement" trailer for Atari's D&D Daggerdale, despite having been announced a while back.
More information.
Last edited by Dhruin; March 24th, 2011 at 10:20.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 23rd, 2011, 22:38
I have the feeling that game will kill all future DnD games…

It look like a really low budget horror movies. You know, the one that are more fun to laugh at then watch.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 23rd, 2011, 22:48
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I have the feeling that game will kill all future DnD games…

It look like a really low budget horror movies. You know, the one that are more fun to laugh at then watch.

I just don't understand it. Atari has a golden opportunity in the D&D license, so why aren't they spending the time and resources to develope an epic 40+ hour party based D&D game? SO many fans are waiting for the next Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale type of game…

spiraling69

Sentinel

March 23rd, 2011, 22:49
Originally Posted by spiraling69 View Post
SO many fans are waiting for the next Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale type of game…
Yes, but the "mainstream" crowd is still much larger, and that's who Atari wants.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 23rd, 2011, 22:59
It's simply baffling that Atari would want to even attempt to make an "accessible" action-RPG out of Dn'D. There is absolutely no market for a watered down Dn'D experience; the only fans of Dn'D want the complexity that is central to the system. Also, the license has proven to be successful even in the modern era (2006, Neverwinter Nights 2), so long as a competent developer is given a proper budget to make it graphically appealing and such. NWN 2 was a financial success, correct? I would even consider NWN2 to be a mediocre game, but it seems like it still sold quite well, and part of the reason for that was the implementation of the Dn'D system with all of its inherent complexity.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch

March 23rd, 2011, 23:03
I just don't understand it. Atari has a golden opportunity in the D&D license, so why aren't they spending the time and resources to develope an epic 40+ hour party based D&D game? SO many fans are waiting for the next Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale type of game…
They're doing Neverwinter, hoping to appeal to that crowd (and more). By making it online only they pretty much wrote me off though.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

March 23rd, 2011, 23:08
The mainstream crowd has NO CLUE about D&D, there not going to bite at Daggerdale . Pluse the graphics arent top notch, another reason they wont notice.

rich ruffo

Sentinel

March 23rd, 2011, 23:10
Well lets not forget it is also atari doing this….

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

March 23rd, 2011, 23:15
Beyond the pair of OGL'sih ones to come(Incursion and KotC 2), I continue to lose faith in the notion of a proper mainline D&D game being realized given ATARI's baffling track record.

At this point, I feel it the "safer" bet to reckon that eventually, via some other Eastern or Western developer, that perhaps a proper Pathfinder RPG stands a chance at seeing the light of day.

getter77

Sentinel

March 24th, 2011, 09:27
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Yes, but the "mainstream" crowd is still much larger, and that's who Atari wants.
Yep its all about the money. Love and care aint important it seems.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

March 24th, 2011, 10:02
I just loled at trailer. Are we back in 2000?

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

March 24th, 2011, 12:42
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
I just loled at trailer. Are we back in 2000?
More like 1996 and Unreal still look better.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 24th, 2011, 13:02
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
It's simply baffling that Atari would want to even attempt to make an "accessible" action-RPG out of Dn'D. There is absolutely no market for a watered down Dn'D experience; the only fans of Dn'D want the complexity that is central to the system. Also, the license has proven to be successful even in the modern era (2006, Neverwinter Nights 2), so long as a competent developer is given a proper budget to make it graphically appealing and such. NWN 2 was a financial success, correct? I would even consider NWN2 to be a mediocre game, but it seems like it still sold quite well, and part of the reason for that was the implementation of the Dn'D system with all of its inherent complexity.
Yeah, I don't get it either. First they publish NWN2 and two Addons. And then they do a whole lot of nothing until announcing two DnD lite games (and one of those is sadly online focused if I'm not mistaken).

Roi Danton

Sentinel

March 24th, 2011, 14:33
I was getting ready to say you were exaggerating - but… It does look pretty shitty doesn't it.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

March 24th, 2011, 14:43
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I never really thought of it that way. Are we a dying breed?

spiraling69

Sentinel

March 24th, 2011, 14:56
Not really but we aren't the target audience any more, so I guess yeah.

NFLed

Sentinel

March 24th, 2011, 15:24
This is actually an old trailer, nothing new really. And I think I saw the game on Amazon.com pre-orderable for $15… I'm not sure why they're even bothering with this game honestly - it looks very half-assed. Maybe they bought out some indie developer's project to make a quick buck???

And that Neverwinter Online "OMG" (as they call it) is being devloped by Cryptic, so I sorta lost interest on day one.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

March 24th, 2011, 15:43
Originally Posted by ikbenrichard View Post
Yep its all about the money. Love and care aint important it seems.
Like my theory of "games" becoming rather "wares" aka "tools for maximize profits"

Probably - in the eyes of suits which look at th whole world as a potential market.

Plus, small target groups aren't enough for them anymore - which I think is a result of vastly increased development costs combined by Corporate Greed (CG).

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 24th, 2011, 16:10
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Like my theory of "games" becoming rather "wares" aka "tools for maximize profits"
Much simpler to say that the Gaming industry have turned into the Music Industry.

But when you spend $30 000 000 to make something, you do want your money back (that's EA average cost to make a AAA game).

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 24th, 2011, 16:53
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Much simpler to say that the Gaming industry have turned into the Music Industry.
It's not only that.

We had a food scandal here in German a few months ago (in January ?) - most people came to believe that the "food industry" is now the same.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Daggerdale - Trailer @ IGN