|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect 3 - Series Origins Interview @ GameInformer

Default Mass Effect 3 - Series Origins Interview @ GameInformer

April 28th, 2011, 08:23
BioWare's Casey Hudson chats with GameInformer about the origins of the Mass Effect series and "why Mass Effect's director doubts a trilogy of this size and scope will ever happen again". Game producers not making sequels? Doesn't sound a problem to me.
More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,968

Default 

April 28th, 2011, 08:23
The Gameinformer site always slows my whole system down. Does anyone else have that problem?

As for sequels, it really depends. Sometimes the scenario and the characters are interesting enough for me to want to know more. Some of the best RPGs are sequels, and if done right, it is a great feeling to encounter an old friend or get back to an old location. Ultima 7 was full of these moments, and so were Gothic 2 and other great titles.

What I don't like is when a game's plot is left unfinished simply because a sequel is planned. Open endings are fine, but games should have a self-contained story.

What I also can't stand it when games tell a well-rounded story and the sequel messees up with it. Bioshock 2 for example was a huge mitake, IMO.
Grandor Dragon is offline

Grandor Dragon

Sentinel

#2

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 557

Default 

April 28th, 2011, 08:35
I hate how lazy it became, no text, a video is slow to watch, I don't have the time damit.
Dasale is offline

Dasale

SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,096

Default 

April 28th, 2011, 10:19
Maybe they're forgetting they're coming out with SWToR soonish, which is supposed to have something like 12 times the content

So, while not a trilogy - I don't think big scopes are forgotten forever, because Bio don't want to repeat their Mass Effect concept.

Aside from the obvious marketing bullshit angle, there's no reason to believe you can predict what will happen in the industry, especially long-term.

The way the industry is, right now, is not a good indicator for the future entire.

In any case, I'm not sure why such a trilogy shouldn't happen again. The industry is shock full of sequel upon sequel, and I think it's quite arguable that something like The Witcher could become a trilogy of even greater size - assuming the developers of it want that to be. It certainly seems that they're doing great things in terms of far-reaching C&C.

So, I call a bit of bullshit and self-glorification on that.

What they probably really mean, is that under the new EA/profit-is-all structure, it's not necessary to focus on big intricate trilogies to generate maximum profit.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,809

Default 

April 28th, 2011, 11:03
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Maybe they're forgetting they're coming out with SWToR soonish, which is supposed to have something like 12 times the content
With a $15 a month asking price and no offline play.
DoctorNarrative is offline

DoctorNarrative

DoctorNarrative's Avatar
Patroling Written Words

#5

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,825

Default 

April 28th, 2011, 11:11
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
With a $15 a month asking price and no offline play.
True enough, but unless you have a problem being online - I'd say that's a vastly better deal than buying three separate games for 12 times less content, especially considering the multiplayer features, if you want to avail yourself of them.

No one says you have to stay subscribed after having completed the content.

In fact, I smell a far-reaching "subtle" campaign for their SWToR game - and I expect most things coming out in public from them to be an effort to direct their audience towards SWToR.

They have a HUGE investment to consider, and they clearly have a lot riding on that title alone.

Call me cynical, but that's what I get from this
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,809

Default 

April 28th, 2011, 11:26
I'm not going to watch video, but when I read 'trilogy' I understand he means three games continuing the same storyline not just three sequels. This doesn't happen too often, and if that's what he means then he might be right. When the target is the mainstream, it's not unreasonable to expect that people might refuse to play a game that's some years old just to follow the story of a new one.

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)
Last edited by holeraw; April 28th, 2011 at 11:39.
holeraw is offline

holeraw

holeraw's Avatar
V.G.A.

#7

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 693

Default 

April 28th, 2011, 11:44
Originally Posted by holeraw View Post
I'm not going to watch video, but when I read 'trilogy' I understand he means three games continuing the same storyline not just three sequels. This doesn't happen too often, and if that's what he means then he might be right. When the target is the mainstream, it's not unreasonable to expect that people might refuse to play a game that's some years old just to follow the story of a new one.
I know what he means, but I honestly don't see anything that would PREVENT some other developer from doing the same thing.

It's not like it's a revelation that creating a trilogy with C&C that passes through all three games, is a big undertaking. It still doesn't mean it can't happen again.

It depends on your motivation as a developer, and I have no doubt Bioware have changed in the interim.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,809

Default 

April 28th, 2011, 11:46
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
True enough, but unless you have a problem being online - I'd say that's a vastly better deal than buying three separate games for 12 times less content, especially considering the multiplayer features, if you want to avail yourself of them.
I just mean the investment makes more sense because of the potential profit. Mass Effect 3 is going to sell 2 or 3 million units at $60 and they know that, they plan around it.

Me personally I'm not that interested in TOR because I am a singleplayer gamer. I do admit though it's the one MMO coming out I have some interest in, due to how story focused it is supposed to be. Paying $15 a month to play it singleplayer is a huge turn-off though, as is it not being a game I will be able to replay down the road.
DoctorNarrative is offline

DoctorNarrative

DoctorNarrative's Avatar
Patroling Written Words

#9

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,825

Default 

April 28th, 2011, 12:07
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
I just mean the investment makes more sense because of the potential profit. Mass Effect 3 is going to sell 2 or 3 million units at $60 and they know that, they plan around it.
I'm pretty sure the end-result is a mighty decent profit, but of course it's not the optimal way of generating cash for minimum effort. That's what I said in my first post.

Me personally I'm not that interested in TOR because I am a singleplayer gamer. I do admit though it's the one MMO coming out I have some interest in, due to how story focused it is supposed to be. Paying $15 a month to play it singleplayer is a huge turn-off though, as is it not being a game I will be able to replay down the road.
I'm not sure what you mean. You could always resubscribe and replay at your leisure and you'd still need to buy 3 separate games for trilogies like Mass Effect several times over to get similar "play" out of the investment.

Still, I don't mean to persuade you to play the game. I just personally don't see it as a bad deal - if it turns out it's "on par" with quality games like Mass Effect and KotOR.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,809

Default 

April 28th, 2011, 12:40
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Still, I don't mean to persuade you to play the game. I just personally don't see it as a bad deal - if it turns out it's "on par" with quality games like Mass Effect and KotOR.
I'll be hugely surprised if the game turns out on par with ME or Kotor. Simply the fact that it's an online game means that they have to provide a lot of content to keep people playing it. Now if the content is similar to other MMORPGs (and I haven't seen any evidence that this isn't the case) then a lot of quests will be more or less repetitive, the story will be drawn out like hell and it'll take a lot of time to reach end game (and thus the end of the storyline).

And I'm more prepared to shell out 150 for Mass Effect 1-3 to play the games for about 60-80 hours (depending on the length of the third game and not counting second or third playtroughs) instead of spending 50 + 10/month for 300h of MMO gameplay.

Now if The Old Republic would work like Guild Wars 2 (aka buy the Game and no subscription) I would be far more willing to spend money on the game.
Roi Danton is offline

Roi Danton

Roi Danton's Avatar
Sentinel

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saarbruecken
Posts: 464

Default 

April 28th, 2011, 12:48
Originally Posted by Roi Danton View Post
I'll be hugely surprised if the game turns out on par with ME or Kotor. Simply the fact that it's an online game means that they have to provide a lot of content to keep people playing it. Now if the content is similar to other MMORPGs (and I haven't seen any evidence that this isn't the case) then a lot of quests will be more or less repetitive, the story will be drawn out like hell and it'll take a lot of time to reach end game (and thus the end of the storyline).

And I'm more prepared to shell out 150€ for Mass Effect 1-3 to play the games for about 60-80 hours (depending on the length of the third game and not counting second or third playtroughs) instead of spending 50€ + 10€/month for 300h of MMO gameplay.

Now if The Old Republic would work like Guild Wars 2 (aka buy the Game and no subscription) I would be far more willing to spend money on the game.
I'm not really expecting it to meet KotOR standards, either.

But they've been EXTREMELY adamant during previews/interviews about that being their goal, and that it would go beyond those games.

We'll see.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,809

Default 

April 28th, 2011, 12:53
Originally Posted by Roi Danton View Post
I'll be hugely surprised if the game turns out on par with ME or Kotor. Simply the fact that it's an online game means that they have to provide a lot of content to keep people playing it. Now if the content is similar to other MMORPGs (and I haven't seen any evidence that this isn't the case) then a lot of quests will be more or less repetitive, the story will be drawn out like hell and it'll take a lot of time to reach end game (and thus the end of the storyline).

And I'm more prepared to shell out 150€ for Mass Effect 1-3 to play the games for about 60-80 hours (depending on the length of the third game and not counting second or third playtroughs) instead of spending 50€ + 10€/month for 300h of MMO gameplay.

Now if The Old Republic would work like Guild Wars 2 (aka buy the Game and no subscription) I would be far more willing to spend money on the game.
I'm pretty certain a lot of the content is tied up in "parallel" stories for each class so what you'll actually see is far less than the total content. Expect 4-6 weeks of semi-casual play to finish that content. The rest will be dungeons, raids, tradeskills, etc., so you can still play the game for its story content and just end subscription when you finish that.
hishadow is offline

hishadow

Level N+1

#13

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern parts of Norway
Posts: 1,140

Default 

April 29th, 2011, 00:36
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. You could always resubscribe and replay at your leisure and you'd still need to buy 3 separate games for trilogies like Mass Effect several times over to get similar "play" out of the investment.
I just mean one day the game will no longer exist. Games I bought 20 years ago still have value and can be played. TOR will not be, barring some kind of amazing offline mod made after it shuts down.
DoctorNarrative is offline

DoctorNarrative

DoctorNarrative's Avatar
Patroling Written Words

#14

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,825

Default 

April 29th, 2011, 09:31
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
I just mean one day the game will no longer exist. Games I bought 20 years ago still have value and can be played. TOR will not be, barring some kind of amazing offline mod made after it shuts down.
Ultima Online, as the first really popular MMO, is still running more than 14 years post release. The same is the case for pretty much all other commercial MMOs - but there are no guarentees, that's true.

But but, I get that you just don't like MMOs and that's fine

Again, I'm not trying to dissuade you from sticking to SP games. It's not healthy to move to MMOs, as they can become quite addictive.

What's worse, is that I have a hard time enjoying SP games after having played some of the best MMOs. It's just too limited in some way.

I wish I could go back to where I was, seeing as how there are so few strong MMOs on the horizon - but lots of great SP games.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,809

Default 

April 29th, 2011, 09:46
I just wish I liked MMOs, because I would love to explore those worlds. I bought and played WoW as a singleplayer game (I leveled to max and quit) and it was somewhat fun, not great. TOR having a real story will hopefully make it better and I do plan on it being the second MMO I play.

The genre as a whole though just ain't for me.
DoctorNarrative is offline

DoctorNarrative

DoctorNarrative's Avatar
Patroling Written Words

#16

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,825

Default 

April 29th, 2011, 10:30
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
I just wish I liked MMOs, because I would love to explore those worlds. I bought and played WoW as a singleplayer game (I leveled to max and quit) and it was somewhat fun, not great. TOR having a real story will hopefully make it better and I do plan on it being the second MMO I play.

The genre as a whole though just ain't for me.
I feel the same way. I tried MMOs and couldn't be immersed in them. It all about raids and collecting all the high level gear. I fear even with TOR despite what they say it will be the same. No offence to MMOs players. I would rather buy 10 rpgs for $60 and be immersed than become an addict to a game that never ends.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#17

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 10,122

Default 

April 29th, 2011, 10:37
MMOs aren't all like that, but since WoW - the vast majority of them have been.

That said, playing an MMO alone is like having sex alone

The only reason I got addicted for a while, was because my ex got hooked along with me. Turned out it was not all good, though.

The entire genre is one big paradox, if you ask me.

I can only recommend you stay away.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,809

Default 

April 29th, 2011, 10:44
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
MMOs aren't all like that, but since WoW - the vast majority of them have been.

That said, playing an MMO alone is like having sex alone

The only reason I got addicted for a while, was because my ex got hooked along with me. Turned out it was not all good, though.

The entire genre is one big paradox, if you ask me.

I can only recommend you stay away.

On that I can agree. I think guild wars got it right. You buy the game and can play it with no subscription. All the people will be in the city zones and you weren't bothered on the quests unless someone joined you.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator
Last edited by Couchpotato; April 29th, 2011 at 13:29.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#19

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 10,122

Default 

April 29th, 2011, 12:23
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
I just mean one day the game will no longer exist. Games I bought 20 years ago still have value and can be played. TOR will not be, barring some kind of amazing offline mod made after it shuts down.
That's basically what puts me off of MMOs in general.

It's basically that "server-sided thing". I just can't take it to my home and play it at any time like ancient games through DOSBOX.

(But the emulation of Directx is a problem of its own …)

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#20

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,000
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect 3 - Series Origins Interview @ GameInformer
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:02.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch