|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Avadon - Windows Release on Monday

Default Avadon - Windows Release on Monday

April 29th, 2011, 15:27
Spiderweb announces Avadon will be released on Monday:
Avadon: The Black Fortress Windows Launch Date
Coming to Windows PC May 2nd.

April 28th, 2011 On May 2nd, 2011 Spiderweb Software (http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com) will bring Avadon: The Black Fortress to the Windows platform. This epic 40 hour RPG will place you in a new setting from the creators of the fantastic worlds of Avernum, Exile, and Geneforge.

As a Hand of Avadon, ruthless and efficient enforcers of peace, your missions will take you to the 5 lands of The Pact and beyond. Battle those who seek to disrupt peace in the land while dealing with spies and assassins who wish to use the power of Avadon for their own gain. As your comrades are picked off one by one it will be up to one stalwart Hand to steady the scales of justice.

Avadon: The Black Fortress features a full 40 hour RPG experience with four unique classes and dozens of skills and spells to develop. Learn the unique history of the five lands of The Pact and make important decisions on your journey that will reveal one of many endings. Discover new quests, secrets dungeons, magical items, and epic battles, everything you would expect from a Spiderweb Software RPG!

Find out more at www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon
Jeff has also been interviewed on a podcast at Veteran Gamers.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 29th, 2011, 15:27
That is faster then i anticipated. Cant wait for a review from rpgwatch… ;-)

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

April 29th, 2011, 15:42
Due to the TW2 limitations, regarding not supporting my monitor ratio, I'll then buy Avadon. Good.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

April 29th, 2011, 17:48
Avadon won't run in 16:10 ratio natively either. You're going to have black lines

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

April 29th, 2011, 18:17
lol, damn you black lines, DAMN YOU

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

April 29th, 2011, 18:24
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Avadon won't run in 16:10 ratio natively either. You're going to have black lines
5:4 here.
But thanks for the warning. I'll first download the demo and check it.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

April 29th, 2011, 19:20
You do know that you can stretch the image to fill your WHOLE … screen. No more black lines (or wire hangers)…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

April 29th, 2011, 19:29
Yes, that's possible. The geometry of the 3D objects becomes a little bit … "stretched" or distorted, but that's nothing one couldn't get used to …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 29th, 2011, 19:49
Perhaps it's only for the Mac version, but for Avadon Mac version it's full screen in 16:10 during the play and without streching.

Only the startup and the start screen aren't 16:10.

Plenty resolution are supported, it's not 3D but there's no sctreching, the game just draw a bigger or smaller size of the area explored depending of the resolution you choose.

EDIT: I think it's last Avernums that had the options borders or streched. For Avadon it seems different.

Dasale

SasqWatch

April 29th, 2011, 20:24
Originally Posted by Dasale View Post
Plenty resolution are supported, it's not 3D but there's no sctreching, the game just draw a bigger or smaller size of the area explored depending of the resolution you choose.
That's what I want to hear.
Thanks.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

April 29th, 2011, 21:12
Excellent….been waiting on this one!

Khalus

Whatever…

April 29th, 2011, 21:13
Originally Posted by Von Paulus View Post
Due to the TW2 limitations, regarding not supporting my monitor ratio, I'll then buy Avadon. Good.
WHAT???

Just kidding Von Paulus. Thanks for the mags btw. Will give them a look this weekend.

I too will be picking this up for some turn based goodness.

sakichop

SasqWatch

April 29th, 2011, 22:06
I won't get it unless I can jump. :-)

khaight

Watchdog

April 29th, 2011, 22:48
Bad timing for me… currently replaying The Witcher and then have Witcher 2 and Fable 3 to play. I will get this after those though.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

April 29th, 2011, 23:03
Dump Fable 3 - problem solved.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 29th, 2011, 23:34
Fable 3? Many problems solved by dumping that one.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

April 29th, 2011, 23:34
I had been thinking of buying Dragon Age 2 when I saw the price of 12 pound in thehut, but then I saw this news and decided to spend my money to a place where it needed much. I'm going to buy Avadon on day 1. My money is for Jeff today, sorry Mike you have to wait a little longer. More support to the indies.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch

April 30th, 2011, 00:19
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Dump Fable 3 - problem solved.
I'm more curious about it than excited by it. I like simple hack n' slash games too, so it might be fun. Maybe I will play Avadon first though, we shall see.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

April 30th, 2011, 05:35
This is really awesome timing.

There are a lot of promising games coming out the next couple months (with Witcher 2 looming largest), yet for the next couple weeks there's a pretty good lull. I've just been lamenting for the last few days that I'm ready for a new game, but nothing I want will be available until later in May.

I think downloading the demo and giving this a go next week is just what the doctor ordered…

Fantasm

Watchdog

April 30th, 2011, 15:10
I'm still in deep in Averdon, playing awfully long game sessions, I can't give a global feeling of the game yet, but for now, it's just an incredible RPG.

For me Avernum 1 is a great and unique RPG, and the Avernum series is an interesting one, at least those I played. But Averdon seems be just at another level, and even it's like from a different team. To quote a detail without spoil, even the inventory design is great. You have one limited inventory per character, but there's also a shared inventory with unlimited capacity, it's named the junk inventory so you put here all stuff you'll want sell at next merchant. But also it allows have a place in inventory in case the inventories are full, and sometimes it can be used as a shared inventory. All of that being a nice complement with the weight system for stuff wear, like it was in Avernum series.

Another example, you are send to a mission and need met a leader to start it, and when you met him, he will have some dialog for each companion you choose to select for the mission. Isn't that a nice detail?

EDIT: Ha well can't resist add more but no spoiler I hope. There's just an impressive number of RPG technical and approach that are used, all merged perfectly well and the whole feel very coherent. For example:
  • There's few JRPG like sequences of characters (no worry not much and it's not a JRPG). One gave me a large smile, all the heroes flee an unexpected event and then stop flee, look back, and an interrogation mark appear above their head, lol remind me something.
  • Another example, there's few mission to protect someone, you need follow a group to make them flee an area, or follow a hunter that bring you to various hunt spots, and it generate a nice change where you are forced into series of fights along an exploration.
  • Another example of nice detail, there's a test fight you are forced in, but you didn't expect it and for you it was just a quiet mission, and then during this fight you can try and succeed flee then the character involved get a dialog to say he will consider your request when you'll have accept the test fight and won't flee. That's a nice detail and approach.
  • A last example, there are some NPC that will come to you and will trigger a dialog by themselves. But some other (most) will just have some talk giving you the hint they want speak to you or have some mission, no exclamation mark and no forced dialog, just more or less random repeated text sentences on NPC figuring NPC common talk. That sort of talk are also used to spread some rumor or give some hints.
  • Ok a really last one, it's not alway, but not rare that some NPC talks or dialogs will change depending of the evolution of the situation.
  • Ok last last one, to make it clear I could have start a list for listing many special fights design, including ambushes, special patterns, and more. Or could have list many different sort of quests, yep some are very usual but many have some noteworthy details. I could have also list many stuff related to companions, and so on and so on.
Last edited by Dasale; April 30th, 2011 at 15:46.

Dasale

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Avadon - Windows Release on Monday